Thread: Stormers will target young NSW Waratah Ben Horne

vCash

Stormers will target young NSW Waratah Ben Horne

Stormers will target young NSW Waratah Ben Horne
    Iain Payten in Cape Town Stormers will target young NSW Waratah Ben Horne | The Daily Telegraph

May 09, 2008 12:00am

STORMERS captain Jean de Villiers has openly admitted his team will target NSW's teen centre Rob Horne on Sunday morning (AEST), believing the Waratahs rookie may still be mentally fragile.

The direct challenge came yesterday as the crafty coach of the high-flying South African side, Rassie Erasmus, also declared it was "black ball time" in his personal duel with Ewen McKenzie.

Horne, 18, has been identified by the fourth-placed Stormers as a potential weak link for NSW in the blockbuster clash at a sold-out Newlands Stadium in Cape Town.

First forgetting Horne's name before diplomatically labelling him a "quality player", Springbok centre de Villiers finally conceded he planned to test out the youngster to see if he could handle the pressure.

"Sometimes the mental challenge that a contest each week brings (in Super 14), it might be a problem if you are that young," De Villiers said.

"You might not be mentally up for it week after week. I might have to throw a few chirps his way and see how he responds."

The midfield battle is set to be a key factor in the must-win clash for both sides.

De Villiers and Gcobani Bobo were menacing in attack in the Stormers' win over the Brumbies last week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ewen McKenzie's challenge: Attack Lote Tuqiri, I dare you
    Iain Payten in Cape Town Ewen McKenzie's challenge: Attack Lote Tuqiri, I dare you | The Daily Telegraph

May 09, 2008 12:00am

WARATAHS coach Ewen McKenzie has dared the Stormers to rain kicks down on his new fullback Lote Tuqiri after confirming a handful of radical changes to the NSW side for Sunday morning's Super 14 blockbuster.

Though not possessed with a polished kicking game, Tuqiri has been named at No. 15 for the Waratahs.

It is a move McKenzie hopes could tear the Stormers' defence to shreds on counter-attack in the game, which will kick off at 3am on Sunday (AEST).

With regular custodian Sam Norton-Knight moved back to the bench, the Tuqiri switch may limit the Waratahs' kicking game.

It also may entice a barrage of kicks from the Stormers, but the NSW coach is not concerned.

"Lote likes to carry the ball," McKenzie said.

"From our perspective, the more time he touches it the better, from our team point of view.

"He is the guy who breaks the most tackles for us game in, game out, so in that sense we don't mind if he gets the ball a lot."

As expected, Matt Carraro was officially named on the left wing for his NSW run-on debut and Timana Tahu picked on the bench.

Tighthead prop Al Baxter has been named to play against the Stormers despite copping an elbow in the eye at training on Tuesday.

Scans revealed no major damage but Dan Palmer arrived yesterday as cover.

McKenzie said that the reshuffled backline was a bold move to get the best out of his players nearing the end of a demanding season. He denied it was tinkering with a proven combination.

"The reality is we are still playing with the same 22 players . . . the same guys we use week in, week out. We don't feel it is a dramatic change at all," McKenzie said.

"We are trying to get the best out of the players for this game, but also there's some opportunity to put pressure on their game.

"We don't want to lose rhythm but at the same time we are trying to be pro-active rather than end up with a reactive situation."

After Norton-Knight had an off day with his boot against the Bulls, McKenzie hopes moving him to an impact player role will re-sharpen his game.

"I think we used him as an impact player against the Stormers last time we were here and he won the game for us," he said.

"Timana Tahu is a big-game player, who is not unused to playing in front of big crowds and on big occasions, and this is a big occasion."

Tahu said that he was "pumped" to be back in the squad after spending 10 weeks out of the game with a hamstring injury.

"To get on the bench is a start, I am hoping to get some game time and if I do I'll make the best of it," Tahu said.

Carraro is expected to spend some time in the centres but said he was ready to take on the Stormers' giant wing Sireli Naqelevuki.

"I have always been pretty confident in defence. It is a side of my game that comes pretty naturally.

"I guess I haven't really shown much in attack in the time I have come off the bench in the last few weeks . . . this week getting a start I will see a lot more ball, which I am looking forward to."

The forecast in cape Town is for showers again on Sunday morning.

The Waratahs feel cursed when it comes to playing in dry weather.

The Stormers are expecting a Test match-like atmosphere at Newlands and are hopeful of a 50,000-strong crowd.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!