Thread: Cowan charged with disorderly conduct

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Cowan charged with disorderly conduct

Sack him and rip up his contract

Cowan charged with disorderly conduct
    By NATHAN BURDON - The Southland Times | Tuesday, 13 May 2008
    Cowan charged with disorderly conduct - Rugby news & coverage - Stuff.co.nz

Highlanders and former All Blacks halfback Jimmy Cowan has been charged with disorderly conduct after an incident in Dunedin early on Sunday.

Details of the alleged incident could not be confirmed, but it is understood it was a relatively minor one and that there was no damage to any property.

It happened after the Highlanders played the Blues in Dunedin on Saturday night.

Cowan, 26, could appear in court as early as Friday.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry described the incident as extremely disappointing.

"It's disappointing, very disappointing," Henry said at yesterday's launch of the Iveco Series. "We don't need that sort of thing."

Henry had not heard specifics of the incident when questioned yesterday, but said he "might" speak to Cowan regarding the clear breach in discipline.

"I don't know any of the circumstances," said Henry. "Obviously it's disappointing and it's not something that we accept."

Cowan has been on the fringe of the All Blacks in recent seasons, and after being named New Zealand's Super 14 player of the year in 2007 he must have been considered a chance to win his way back into the national squad.

He has had a solid, if unspectacular, campaign with the struggling Highlanders this year, but after Saturday night's 15-40 defeat to the Blues at Carisbrook, told the Southland Times: "I just want to put my head down and get stuck in. It's not something I've thought about, really.

"I've had my disappointments over the years and it's not something I look out for now.

"In saying that, if I do make it I'll be very grateful but if I miss out I'll look forward to playing back at home, something I really enjoy."

It is the second early-morning incident linked with the Highlanders this year - winger Lucky Mulipola was convicted last month for assault.

He is to appear for sentencing next month.

In 2005, Cowan was suspended by the Rugby Union for a week and sent home early from a Junior All Blacks tour of Australia after an incident in a bar.

Highlanders chief executive Richard Reid was disappointed that a second incident had been linked with the franchise.

"You can't hold people's hands. There has to be an element of personal responsibility."

Rugby Southland commercial manager Caroline Wethy-Te Whetu said Cowan was "most regretful of the circumstances that took place and is bitterly disappointed".

He realised he had let down not only himself but also his family, franchise, rugby union, sponsors and supporters, she said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Sack FT and rip up his contract - for not making clear WHICH Cowan in the headline.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Yup - scared the crap outa me too!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    That's why it caught my eye

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Wierd...I instantly thought Jimmy Cowan instead of Pek.

Maybe I just know Jimmy is a bit of a douche and it made sense?

On a side note, that Southland Times is back again with all the scoops!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Jimmy was also named Southland player of the year last Thursday!

He was pretty hammered when he signed Bert in Chicos Bar in Queenstown after The :Force: beat them back in March as well.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    He was pretty hammered when he signed Bert in Chicos Bar in Queenstown after The :Force: beat them back in March as well.
    Well judging on last time I was down there and the liquor store on nearly every street corner doubled with the need to get warm from the cold I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit of a drunkey....plus he is a half back, and we know how those types can be.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Sack FT and rip up his contract - for not making clear WHICH Cowan in the headline.
    Yeah...classic journalism with the catchy headline that hooks the readers!

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Henry: I have no idea what it is he has allegedly done, or any of the circumstances, or if he actually did anything, but it is terrible and we don't condone it or need it....whatever it turns out to be...or not be...

Gee, thanks Coach, no wonder you can't win a World Cup!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Wierd...I instantly thought Jimmy Cowan instead of Pek.

Maybe I just know Jimmy is a bit of a douche and it made sense?

On a side note, that Southland Times is back again with all the scoops!
    Weird I instantly thought of Cow and Chicken!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    He's at it again...
    Cowan gets alcohol-related fine
    AAP - September 19, 2008, 9:58 am

New Zealand halfback Jimmy Cowan has been convicted on two alcohol-related charges of disorderly behaviour while All Blacks teammate Piri Weepu avoided conviction on an unrelated charge.

Cowan, 26, was convicted and discharged on one charge and fined $NZ300 ($A252) on the other after his lawyer argued he had turned to alcohol to deal with "raging" personal issues.

The 15-Test All Black faces a third disorderly behaviour charge for which no trial date has been set.

Cowan was alleged to have jumped on a parked car in one incident and confronted security staff outside a nightclub in another in the South Island cities of Dunedin and Invercargill. The third charge relates to another incident in Dunedin.

Weepu avoided conviction on a disorderly behaviour charge relating to an incident in Wellington on September 6. He was granted police diversion, a system which allows first-time offenders to avoid conviction in exchange for pleading guilty and agreeing to perform community work.

Weepu was arrested in central Wellington after banging on a store window while trying to attract the attention of a friend. His lawyer said the incident was "very minor".

Cowan gets alcohol-related fine Australian Sport - Yahoo!7 Sport