Thread: Mitchell rues wasted opportunity as Force go out on a high

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell rues wasted opportunity as Force go out on a high

A Super 14 season which started so well and finished so brilliantly for the Western Force has been labelled as wasted opportunity by coach John Mitchell, who said improvements on and off the field were mandatory if his side were to challenge next year.

Reversing the trend of the year as a whole, the Force started woefully against the Brumbies in Friday night’s season finale, conceding four tries before registering a point - and then stormed home with a 29-point run to register their first ever win over Laurie Fisher’s side.

Leaving the Force in the black with a 7-6 record, 2008 is statistically an improvement on last year - but they still flattered to deceive after four wins in the first six weeks of the campaign.

And while the departing Fisher may leave Canberra with questions of what might have been, Mitchell remains in Perth with the same thoughts - and a clear messages to his players as to what is expected of them.

“I see this campaign as a totally wasted opportunity. I would have liked to have seen us further ahead than where we are,“ Mitchell said.

“We have got a few things we have got to get right on field going forward, and things to get right off the field.

“We need to lift our standards as a club, but there is an ability to contest finals.
    “We have just got to find the recipe and people need to understand very clearly we are not here to make up the numbers.

“We are just an enigma at the moment. You just don't know what is going to turn up.”
    The 29-22 win over the Brumbies means in their three years, the Force have now beaten or drawn with every other side in the competition - a fact Mitchell said could be drawn on.

Mitchell noted that the Crusaders and Waratahs - who may well playoff for this year’s title - are the only two sides the Force have not beaten.

“That gives belief that we can beat anyone in this competition,“ he said.

“What we have got to work out now is how we can sustain it in such a short competition and not hit too many speed bumps along the way.”

A thorough review of the club will now start - with the retention of Matt Giteau and wunderkind James O’Connor high priorities, as well as the search for new recruits, particularly a halfback.

“There will be some closure soon with some guys in the next few weeks, and acquisition is also going to be important, but we won’t be going for any major acquisitions,” Mitchell said.

“The list has been hit pretty hard by injury and I have introduced 10 new players to the club. Some of the youth is quite outstanding.

“The hardest thing for youth is the earlier you expose the quicker you are going to have to sustain effort within your preparation, and make sure you keep your feet on the ground.”

PERTH

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=73569

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yea...just didnt go so well in the middle did we?
    Still things look extremely promising for next year, so hopefully they get their act together for next year (rather than the year after, because i wont be here - now that i've said that it'll happen )
    I read a stat that the Force we behind at halftime in 10/13 matches...stamp this out and we'll be right ....oh and try CHIPPING the ball when the defence rushes up, last nite proved it works!!
    Thanks for a memorable season boys and BRING ON 2009!!!

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Skiza View Post
    Yea...just didnt go so well in the middle did we?
    Still things look extremely promising for next year, so hopefully they get their act together for next year (rather than the year after, because i wont be here - now that i've said that it'll happen )
    I read a stat that the Force we behind at halftime in 10/13 matches...stamp this out and we'll be right ....oh and try CHIPPING the ball when the defence rushes up, last nite proved it works!!
    Thanks for a memorable season boys and BRING ON 2009!!!
    Agreed. I would like to see them stopping the ridiculous long kicking straight down the opposition's throat just blantantly giving away possession. They eliminated it in the second half on Friday and what a difference it nade.