Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie offers to stay at Tahs

vCash

McKenzie offers to stay at Tahs

McKenzie offers to stay at Tahs

By Wayne Smith
    May 19, 2008

NEW South Wales coach Ewen McKenzie has not signed with Stade Francais and is prepared to discuss staying on with the Waratahs.

Despite the fact the New South Wales Rugby Union are having all kinds of problems replacing him and are rumoured to have serious reservations about appointing current favourite, Chris Hickey, the organisation has no plans to even sound out the man who has just poured around $700,000 into their coffers by coaching the Waratahs to a Super 14 home semi-final.

Nothing could compound the NSWRU's madness in sacking a man who has taken the Waratahs to the play-offs three times in the past four years - during which time no other Australian team has made the semis - than to refuse to re-open negotiations purely to save face.

McKenzie has initiated none of this, but when approached on Sunday, he responded honestly.

"I know everyone thinks I'm heading to Paris but I'm keeping my options open," McKenzie said. "One of the (negative) things about Europe is the impact it would have on my family. My children are aged 10, 12 and 14. Rushing off to Europe, while it's got lots of appeal, creates problems that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

That's why I haven't made a decision. "Having said that, I've still got bills to pay."

Would McKenzie be prepared to stay on? "That's an interesting question," he replied. "Obviously there has been a fair bit of water go under the bridge. It's been a difficult time for a lot of reasons.

"There have already been significant changes made so it wouldn't be a case of continuing what I've done but rather of starting again - and that's a different exercise. But I know I can do that. I've done it already in the past.

"So, in the spirit of never saying never, yes, I'd be prepared to sit down with them and have a discussion."

That should be the cue for NSWRU officials to swallow their pride, acknowledge that they pulled the trigger prematurely and start afresh with McKenzie. Instead, NSWRU chief executive Jim L'Estrange is quietly but firmly closing the door.

"I don't think so," L'Estrange said, when asked about the possibility of NSW backtracking on their resolution to part company with McKenzie.

"We made a conscious but hard decision and we'll keep moving. I hope Ewen does sign (with Stade Francais) and I hope he gets a great contract with them. He deserve it."

What McKenzie deserves is for his achievements to be looked at objectively by NSWRU directors smart enough to realise that their modest careers in club rugby give them precious little insight into the demands and strains of professional rugby.

Increasingly it is becoming obvious that one or two directors are still living in the past, believing they warrant a direct say in the day-to-day running of the Waratahs.
    They don't. Their say extends no further than appointing the coach. Sure, they can sack him if he doesn't perform but until that day arrives, they should take their seats in the directors' box, cheer like crazy and simply let the coach do what a coach does.

Has it occurred to NSW directors to ask themselves why it is they are having so much difficulty replacing McKenzie? It should be a cinch, finding a highly qualified coach ready to take on the challenge. After all, the Waratahs' coaching position is probably second only in prestige behind the Australia job.

NSW have playing numbers the envy of every other state, they have first pick of the emerging talent and are operating in the biggest commercial market in the country.

Whoever coaches the Waratahs has resources at his disposal that few other provincial or club sides in world rugby can match.

Certainly if McKenzie were to go to Stade Francais, he would quickly discover that for himself. So why the difficulty finding a NSW coach?

The reason is every potential candidate knows that if he takes on the job, he will take on the political infighting and interference that comes from above.

L'Estrange had hoped to put a name to the NSWRU board by the end of April. Now that deadline has been put back to the end of May, ostensibly because the NSWRU did not want to distract the Waratahs at the business end of the season.

Do NSW officials believe their bizarre handling of the coaching issue has not already seriously affected the Waratahs, both in terms of making it highly unlikely that Rocky Elsom and Dan Vickerman can be retained and also in terms of how it has undermined the Tahs' 2009 recruitment drive?

The lack of foresight in the NSWRU is staggering. Just a year ago, there was a move to sack defence coach Les Kiss. It is understood it was only McKenzie's support of his assistant that saved him. Now, after the Waratahs' superb defensive display this season, Kiss is on the short list to replace his boss.

Attack coach Todd Louden - another frontrunner for the Tahs head coaching job at one stage - has decided he can't take any more and is moving to Japan, while high performance unit manager Tony D'Arcy has reached the same conclusion and is moving back to Queensland.

So NSW has all but dismantled the team that took the Waratahs from 13th last year to second in 2008. While it might be too late to undo that damage, it is not too late to retain the man who made the miracle happen.

The Australian

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    strange, why would you offer to stay when your clearly not wanted......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Because he would be an asset to the Tahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    strange, why would you offer to stay when your clearly not wanted......
    Because he can't get a job anywhere else!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, Link would be really suffering at Stade, arguably the richest Club in Rugby
    Wayne's really whacked his poofy blue glasses on with this one!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Guessing the people who did this i.e. the board must be under a bit of pressure what with the Tahs doing ok at the moment - hit my giggle spot - smelling rebellion in the Tah Ranks at the moment

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    NSWRU at its finest. Im sure the French gig pays in Euros and truckloads of them. Imagine getting the lemon and sarse then being reoffered your job back again?
    Personally id tell this shower to get nicked. Link is a prop but he aint thick.
    Im sure his new boss will put Link juniors in a lovely private school and gratis to boot.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    URL would be an asset at the Force

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd take the offer of a meeting for sure. Let them talk themselves out and make wankers of themselves and then politely tell them to go jam it anyway

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Tahs have done well this year. Watch it turn to poo after this year - no structure in the coaching ranks. Well done NSWRU Board Members - off you go now - have another port and cigar eh what!

vCash
    Thats all too true clocky, now is the time to celebrate and enjoy. Next year we will be in the toilet with the Force and the rest of the Oz teams

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    5 years is time to go but as said above, the fall out is looking pretty nasty.

They need to pay Les Kiss (still a great name) whatever he friggen wants to stay on as D coach. It's what's got 'em to where they are, the rest can build around it.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    You have to wonder what they are doing - even the idea that they will flip on their decision makes them look so incompetent, why would any self-respecting coach even think about taking the job on? Maybe the board should just coach by committee next year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Thats all too true clocky, now is the time to celebrate and enjoy. Next year we will be in the toilet with the Force and the rest of the Oz teams
    I can already see the spin developing for your posts next season there, chooky.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'd take the offer of a meeting for sure. Let them talk themselves out and make wankers of themselves and then politely tell them to go jam it anyway

Oh, I don't know. Link knows the politics well enough already. He's stated that a move to Paris might be difficult for his family. He might crank himself a better contract, get to watch the auld farts at the NSWRU eat a jumbo serve of humble pie and get to keep the job he likes to boot. There would be no egg on his face. Quite the opposite.

But it's not gonna happen.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast