Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau – “I’ll play wherever Robbie wants”

vCash

Matt Giteau – “I’ll play wherever Robbie wants”

Matt Giteau – “I’ll play wherever Robbie wants”
    -
    Story by: ARU

Matt Giteau will be looking forward to a much brighter year for the Wallabies under new coach Robbie Deans.

In an exclusive interview with GET ONSIDE, Wallabies star Matt Giteau talks about where he would like to play for the Qantas Wallabies and what he thinks about new Wallabies Head Coach Robbie Deans.

As strange as it may sound Matt Giteau, one of the most talented Rugby players on the planet, isn’t packing his bags for the Wallabies camp, which starts in Sydney next week, just yet.

Rather than enjoying a well-earned break at the end of the Investec Super 14 on the beaches of Perth, the 25 year old Western Force flyhalf is..Read More..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    versitile is our gitts.....

vCash
    thats why hes awsome!

vCash
    No lozenga....that is just ONE of the reasons.

vCash
    i never really understood why people would consider swapping Giteau to Inside Centre and Barnes to 5/8 since they played the former positions all S14 season.

Then i heard someone mention about Giteaus running game that has being somewhat suppressed playing 5/8.

Now it actually makes sense, Giteau has a far better running game then Barnes, whilst both have reasonably the same distribution skills. 5/8 at international level doesnt leave much room for the player to move, whereas at inside centre there is much more potential for a running game.

If Barnes played 5/8 he could do his usual passing and kicking game, but with Giteau at Inside Centre, he presents a much greater attacking threat then what he would at 5/8 with the ability to attack the line as well as acting as a second 5/8.

Either way, i see credit in having both players at either position and it should be a cracker backline regardless of where they play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    If Barnes played 5/8 he could do his usual passing and kicking game, but with Giteau at Inside Centre, he presents a much greater attacking threat then what he would at 5/8 with the ability to attack the line as well as acting as a second 5/8.

Either way, i see credit in having both players at either position and it should be a cracker backline regardless of where they play.
    Agreed TOCC. Barnes is better at flyhalf for when the opportunity arises to kick drop goals against the yarpies and poms, we know they will do it at every opportunity against us, because of lack of creativity in their attack.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i never really understood why people would consider swapping Giteau to Inside Centre and Barnes to 5/8 since they played the former positions all S14 season.

Then i heard someone mention about Giteaus running game that has being somewhat suppressed playing 5/8.

Now it actually makes sense, Giteau has a far better running game then Barnes, whilst both have reasonably the same distribution skills. 5/8 at international level doesnt leave much room for the player to move, whereas at inside centre there is much more potential for a running game.

I agree entirely. I maintain that Gits is the best No 12 in the world but I would be less than confident in declaring him the best 10.

vCash
    On Inside Rugby on thursday they were suggesting having no reserve 9 as both Beale and Gitts can play nine - and have an extra back on the bench instead.

Then every single shot of the wallabies showed Stanners.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    That's comforting for Stanners TQ1.

I love how Gits tries to look at potential wallabies in the force and goes on to pick every player in the team pretty much He certainly doesn't like to single people out.

I'm pretty certain he has nothing to worry about in terms of selection but i think it is possibly a good sign that Deans is taking his time to select. I mean in theory he's still supposed to be focussing on the Crusaders for at least another 6hrs or soe before turning his attention completely to the Wallabies. But...he's only got the weekend now so lets see what happens come monday.

As for the Gits at 10 or 12 i certainly think he can play both. He probably is the best 12 in the game but I think as a unit, him at 10 creates more opportunities for the entire team. You could see that with Crossie in the Force this year. If Gits had been at 12 he would have shut down the role of outside centre to a large degree as the play stops at him. 10 gives him more opportunities to affect the entire style of play by the backline which i think is important for the entire team. It adds more versatility to the play. Critics argue that with Gits at 10 the play is predictable as it always goes through him. but i'd argue it is worse with him at 12 because you can guarantee that they're always trying to get the ball to him. Sure, if it does get to him that's when his versatility can come out, but the problem is ensuring that play hasn't been shut down before hand which i think was often the case in the Wallabies' game last year. In that case, he's a wasted talent.

So he may be the best 12 in the world but i'd argue that for the Wallabies to be the best team in the world he should be playing 10. Give him time to fully adjust to his role. He improves every game he plays there.

As for 9 I will personally shoot Robbie if he puts him there.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    relaxing on the beaches of Perth...........

SMH would read that as.. yearning for the snow and sleet of Canberra.

vCash
    I don't think the beach would be so great right now. It is winter, you know.

Anyway, it's a nice change to see an article about the Force that doesn't mention quokkas or Henjak!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    relaxing on the beaches of Perth...........

SMH would read that as.. yearning for the snow and sleet of Canberra.
    HAHA

Though Tragic has a point... I'm not sure the beach is the place to be today!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    I don't think the beach would be so great right now. It is winter, you know.
    Canberra doesn't even have beaches, we probably take it for granted.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm of to a 6 year olds birthday party I'd prefer the beach....

Hope they have foxtel...

vCash
    awwwww

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast