Poll: Would you get involved in a TWF Golden Oldies Team for Sydney '10?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: World Rugby Festival 2010 - Sydney, Australia

vCash
    Normie will give it a shot.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm in. 40+
    I refuse to play in the backs though
    If you want help organising/recruiting, PM me

Put me down

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I think we'll have KQ at Scrumhalf, Gigs on a Wing and 13 assorted Tight Forwards at this rate... a real Goldies side

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For thread continuity, as we have as usual just rolled over a page, we are now calling for anyone who is prepared to be involved in the organising of the proposed Sydney trip, not for players.
    So if you can help let us know below, if you can't that's fine but don't bother posting, we'll assume silence is a no.

So far:

Burgs (from afar)
    Normie
    The Ethicist

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm in.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Doing well still playing on Saturdays there mate.

How many over 35's do we have on this site who still want to play?

Anyone ever though of putting a TWF Golden Oldies team in for next year?

Only 5 carnivals left this year might have missed the boat. I'd fill in between games for the Olde Dogs.
    Thanks for the reminder WRF, really need to start moving on this folks, I would suggest interested parties may want to work towards a pre Test meeting at the Bowlo?
    I cannot get down for the Test but as said before, as much as I would love too, I am not in a logistical position to run this thing.
    Surely there is someone among us all who might want to take this on as a project?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    My over 35's team is putting a team in for this. If there arent enough players on here who want to make a team then any interested players are welcome to come along with us.

I am currently working on sponsorship and hopefully some free airfaires to the event.

Anyone who wants to play in the SCRUM over 35's comp next year each fortnight can contact me as well because your more than welcome to be apart of the team I play in.

I really should have done this at the start of the season.

There are only two carnivals left in this season if you wanted to come down and check them out. This Sunday down at Neddies home ground starting at 1pm and next Sunday at Cottesloe starting at 1pm as well.

I encourage anyone over 35 to keep playing (if you can). It is all about the social side of rugby just as much as having a run around. If you've never pulled on a boot before then that just doesn't matter, you've watched enough of it.

vCash
    Had my ACL surgery 4 months ago..allowed to start running next month..still up to be scrummie (or "other duties as required")..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival signs up 150th team

Mon 31 Aug 2009

USA-based Old Parts team became the 150th team to enter the 18th Air New Zealand Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival with more than a year remaining before the Festival on 26 September to 3 October 2010.

Festival Director Allan Forno said the reaction has been over-whelming and his organisation is confident they will attract up to 6,000 participants from around the rugby playing world.

He is delighted that they have already signed up 150 teams of players over the age of 35 from 11 countries including Argentina, Australia, Canada, Cook Islands, England, France, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Scotland and USA.

“Golden Oldies is going from strength to strength around the world. It’s a great way for rugby folk to remain involved in the game and keep active. Our World Festivals every two years are a wonderful chance to travel and enjoy once-in-a-lifetime experiences, to reacquaint with old friends and meet new ones who share in the common bond of this game that we love.”

“We have received wonderful support from the Australian Rugby Union, Events New South Wales, New South Wales Rugby, New South Wales State Government, Tourism New South Wales and Sydney Council.”

“I have a great group of experienced people on the Organising Committee to ensure the rugby experience here in Sydney will be second to none.”

Fittingly the 150th team to enter is Old Pacific & Atlantic Rugby Touring Side (Old PARTS) Roasted Eagles, a team with roots back to the 1995 Festival, and comprises players from throughout the USA and ex-pats from New Zealand and Australia.

“Our roster includes friends from the Boston region, the New York City metropolitan area, Southern California and other assorted locales around the United States, as well as assorted points in New Zealand, and perhaps we'll round out the side with some friends from Sydney and elsewhere,” said team spokesman Bob Coyne.

The team attended their first Golden Oldies Festival in New Zealand in 1995 as a “once in a lifetime” experience.

“The group bonded so spectacularly well that we have continued to assemble once-in-a-lifetime teams to participate in the Air New Zealand Festivals in Vancouver, Adelaide, Toulouse, Brisbane, San Diego, Wellington and Edinburgh.

“For Sydney, our team will represent yet another "once in a lifetime" collection of friends assembled through our rugby network. We've added back the Eagles name to acknowledge our Boston College roots, and tagged on "roasted" to reflect how we expect to show on and off the pitch.

“Above all we are a group of rugby-addicted friends, spouses and children now brought together for the bi-annual convention of fun and frolic on and off the pitch, this time Sydney style and we are greatly looking forward to it.”

Most of the teams will be housed in the Darling Harbour area with three playing days utilising more than 30 fields at Centennial Parklands.

The Festival begins with the Parade of Nations from the Sydney Town Hall to Chinatown and the Welcome Party at the Sydney Convention Centre. A midweek picnic day will be staged in the Hunter Valley wine region and the Festival will culminate with a seated Finale Dinner and Air New Zealand Awards at the Sydney Convention Centre.

It’s the second time that Sydney has staged the Festival with Australia also hosting World Festivals in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane. The Golden Oldies World Rugby Festivals, which began in 1979, have been held biennially in Auckland (2), Long Beach, Sydney, London, Toronto, Perth, Dublin, Christchurch, Vancouver, Cape Town, Adelaide, Toulouse, Brisbane, San Diego, Wellington and Edinburgh.

About Golden Oldies
    The Golden Oldies Movement offers the opportunity for people over 35 years to remain active and at the same time retain and grow friendships. And it also offers the vehicle for people to remain in rugby – and for those schools, clubs and rugby organizations to take advantage of that experience.

Air New Zealand has a proud history of supporting Golden Oldies Rugby and has helped champion the Golden Oldies Movement and its community since its inception in 1979. The key mantra for the Golden Oldies sporting movement, which incorporates biennial World Festivals for rugby, cricket, netball and hockey, is Fun, Friendship and Fraternity.

For more details on the 2010 Air New Zealand Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival, visit www.goldenoldiessports.com.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Can't wait.....

vCash

40 yo run out

Welshfan....Would be up for a run out, only been playing tag in Ireland last 4 years, several years since last full contact game though!! In the minority as I am a back!! Will come along to Cott on Sunday to see how things go...Cheers

---------- Post added at 02:58 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 14:18 ----------

Welshfan,
    Willing to give it a shot..Been playing Tag in Ireland for last 4 years....Long time since full contact..You guys look like you could do with a back?? Will head to Cott today see how it goes!..Cheers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ozhammy View Post

Welshfan....Would be up for a run out, only been playing tag in Ireland last 4 years, several years since last full contact game though!! In the minority as I am a back!! Will come along to Cott on Sunday to see how things go...Cheers

---------- Post added at 02:58 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 14:18 ----------

Welshfan,
    Willing to give it a shot..Been playing Tag in Ireland for last 4 years....Long time since full contact..You guys look like you could do with a back?? Will head to Cott today see how it goes!..Cheers

Did you come down?

Good day, another season over.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The time is ticking here folks, will need action and a few meetings and playing or training sessions very early in the new year if anything is going to resemble a chance of happening. Will need a prime driver (doesn't have to be a player) to make this work and unfortunately I am not in a position to do so at this point in time.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah...with the new job, my initial freedom to play is probably overly optimistic.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Did you come down?

Good day, another season over.
    I did make it, but late in the day unfortunately!!

Been over East for a few months but back and keen for new year if things get going?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast