Thread: Channel 7 Perth is crap!

vCash
    good email, send it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Fullback, perhaps cc the email to sport@7perth.com.au
    or directly to CYoung@7perth.com.au, Sports Editor 7 Perth. I got a quick response last month.
    Cheers for the addresses KenyaQuin

Go The Force!

vCash
    Got the reply I knew I'd get from Seven Perth. Still doesn't answer why they aren't using the HD channel to show it live. Channel 10 show live sporting events on their HD channel and delay it on their Digital Channel. Seven really needs to work out that they can send two different things over the seperate channels... o yeah they've got the funky TV guide channel.

Thank you for your email concerning our rugby telecasts.

When scheduling programs on television, we attempt to please as many people as we can, but unfortunately we will never be able to cater for everyone's taste in programs at the same time.

I can understand your disappointment with the telecast time however whilst there is a following for rugby in WA, unfortunately this doesn't ever seem to translate into a sizeable audience on television in Perth. We need to be very mindful of what the majority of our viewers want to watch and In the past when we have telecast Rugby live in Perth it has been the least watched program in its timeslot, being beaten by programs on all the other stations at that time. It is a different story in New South Wales and Queensland which are traditional rugby states and where rugby telecasts are strongly supported by viewers.

I have a feeling that none of it will make a difference to how you feel about our schedule of rugby telecasts. You are obviously passionate about the subject and good on you for it however, as I said before, unfortunately we can't please everyone all the time, we try to please the most amount of people we can.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

PROGRAM DEPARTMENT

Go The Force!

vCash
    Well, we wouldn't want to miss out on a 24 hour TV guide, would we?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    Well, we wouldn't want to miss out on a 24 hour TV guide, would we?

True that, even though i'ts eastern standard time

Sent another one to see if they will answer the main question.

Thank you for your reply,

I knew that this would be the view of Seven Perth. The main thing I would like to know is why are you using both your channels (HD and Digital) to telecast exactly the same programs, when you have the capability to show a Live match and your usual programming schedule at the same time on separate channels? This is done by most other stations, why not Seven?

Thanks

As a side note, I was reading an article in todays West about tv delays for Eagles, Dockers games, this weekend and I quote from it

"* For Eagles supporters, the delay is because Channel 7 does not want to upset fans of Better Homes and Gardens tomorrow night."

(*The West Australian,Thursday, June 12 2008, page 3 "TV delay for Eagles, Dockers games by Craig O'Donoghue )

Time for channel 7 to give up all their sporting contracts and focus on reruns of MASH instead.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Channel 7 have obviously chosen their demographic. They shouldn't be permitted to broadcast any sport beyond AFL and lawnbowls.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    I can understand your disappointment with the telecast time however whilst there is a following for rugby in WA, unfortunately this doesn't ever seem to translate into a sizeable audience on television in Perth. We need to be very mindful of what the majority of our viewers want to watch and In the past when we have telecast Rugby live in Perth it has been the least watched program in its timeslot, being beaten by programs on all the other stations at that time. It is a different story in New South Wales and Queensland which are traditional rugby states and where rugby telecasts are strongly supported by viewers.
    The problem is that Saturday night the footy is on channel 10. Obviously you've got the Rugby supporters who would tune in, but in places like Perth, Adelaide etc...the average sport fan is probably going to put on the footy ahead of the rugby. Since there is sport on the one channel there are going to be heaps of none sport fans who want something to watch (excluding SBS and ABC) this leaves Richie Rich on 9 or Vicar of Dibley on 7. Guess channel 7 feels that the Vicar of Dibley will get a bigger draw than the rugby given that lots of sport fans will already be watching the footy.

I wonder if it would be a different story if there was no footy. The idiots at channel 7 need to realise that audience size isn't always the most important thing. Advertisers will actually pay more for advertising if they know they are going to reach a specific audience. In the case of sport there is obviously going to be a lot of males. I would bet that companies trying to sell to males (ie beer, cars etc..) would pay more for advertising to 500,000 sport viewers than they would to 750,000 Vicar of Dibley viewers.

And finally, no matter what the audience there is no excuse for delaying the game until 12.30am and not showing it live on HD. The footy ends at like 10-10.30max...why not show the rugby as soon as the footy is over? Also, I doubt the oldies watching the Vicar of Dibley even know how to find the 7HD channel, so why not show the Rugby live on there?

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    Got the reply I knew I'd get from Seven Perth. Still doesn't answer why they aren't using the HD channel to show it live. Channel 10 show live sporting events on their HD channel and delay it on their Digital Channel. Seven really needs to work out that they can send two different things over the seperate channels... o yeah they've got the funky TV guide channel.

Thank you for your email concerning our rugby telecasts.

When scheduling programs on television, we attempt to please as many people as we can, but unfortunately we will never be able to cater for everyone's taste in programs at the same time.

I have a feeling that none of it will make a difference to how you feel about our schedule of rugby telecasts. You are obviously passionate about the subject and good on you for it however, as I said before, unfortunately we can't please everyone all the time, we try to please the most amount of people we can.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

PROGRAM DEPARTMENT
    Same lies and mistruths that they sent me to the letter! I'm never watching Channel 7 again!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    now the thing that stands out here is that channel 7 had originally moved "better homes and gardens" to saturday night so they could show tonights AFL (essendon vs west coast) an hour earlier at 7:30pm. Now all the senior citizens got outraged and channel 7 moved the AEL back to 8:30 to show "better homes and gardens" at the original time of 7:30 tonite. So i therefore ask what is channel 7 actually showing?

All this does is enhance the opinion that channel 7's coverage of sport is the worst out of the FTA networks

vCash
    on a slightly different note but still relevant in the broader sense.

iiNet is in negotiations to stream Super14 games next year in place of the Soccer. I understand that it will not be all the games but just the ones with aussies teams which is still pretty at good 3-4 games a week!

FREE! if youre an iinet client.

So if youre an iiNet fan and love your rugby then your in for a treat next year!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by no.8 View Post
    Same lies and mistruths that they sent me to the letter! I'm never watching Channel 7 again!
    And I thought I was special

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    now the thing that stands out here is that channel 7 had originally moved "better homes and gardens" to saturday night so they could show tonights AFL (essendon vs west coast) an hour earlier at 7:30pm. Now all the senior citizens got outraged and channel 7 moved the AEL back to 8:30 to show "better homes and gardens" at the original time of 7:30 tonite. So i therefore ask what is channel 7 actually showing?

All this does is enhance the opinion that channel 7's coverage of sport is the worst out of the FTA networks
    Part of the problem is that they are protected by stupid government legislation. There are heaps of sporting events that the FTA channels get first dibs at buying. If they don't want to buy it then Foxtel can buy it. So because of this the FTA channels have all the bargaining power. They can basically buy up the rights (at a cheaper price than Foxtel would be willing to pay) and then show the games whenever they want. The leagues have no leverage to force them to show it at a certain time because they cannot sell the rights to Foxtel if the FTA network wants it. Take for example State of Origin, here in Adelaide we get it at like 9.30pm. I'm sure Foxtel would be willing to show it live, but Channel 9 holds the rights and refuses to let them show it live.

I understand that the legislation is there so Foxtel doesn't buy up everything and people without Foxtel miss out. But it's actually screwing us all over. Because no one can see some of these events live. There has even been cases where a FTA network bought rights to some events and then didn't show them at all. Personally I think they should change the legislation so the FTA channels can have first dibs, but if they don't show the event live, then Foxtel is free to negotiate to show it live.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Foxtel is showing it live though?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Foxtel is showing it live though?
    Aren't they?