Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royal Blues Back In Style

vCash

Royal Blues Back In Style

Nedlands announced a return to form with an emphatic 35-18 win over competition leaders Kalamunda at the Foreshore today in the RugbyWA club competition sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

As expected, the Bulls had the better of territory for most of the match but conceded an avalanche of errors and penalties, particularly later in the game as the score stretched out of reach. By contrast, Neddies opted for the patient, calculating approach and again rocked their opposition with sizzling long range counter attacks.

Kalamunda tore into the start and rushed into Neddies' 22, fullback Kane Allen scoring a controversial try in the corner four minutes in. The conversion missed but two minutes later wing Barry Mansfield made no mistake for Nedlands with an angled penalty kick. The Bulls rushed Neddies' line again and inside centre Quintin Tufoua sped for the corner but was bundled into touch. From the lineout, Nedlands' clearing kick bounced nicely for Mansfield in pursuit and he outsprinted the defence down the sidelines for a 60 metre try in the corner at the other end after nine minutes.

Allen added a penalty for Kalamunda four minutes later as the Bulls continued pressuring Nedlands in their half with enormous speed and enthusiasm. But again Nedlands showed their dangerous counter attacking skills, number 8 Tyson Takiari cantering over for a try following a high speed sideline breakout. Mansfield converted and Nedlands led 15-8 after 20 minutes.

With a dominant scrum, and strong forward charges mixed with quick back line forays, Kalamunda kept Nedlands on the back foot, but simple errors robbed them of finish and howitzer clearing kicks by Neddies’ polished inside centre Stu Farqhuson gained respite for the home side.

Allen missed a penalty kick for Kalamunda after 32 minutes and Neddies moved play downfield for a brief period of attack, but Kalamunda returned for Allen to kick a 28 metre penalty goal just before the break, the Bulls trailing 15-11 at half time.

Mansfield opened the second spell for Nedlands with a 25 metres penalty goal to restore the margin at 18-11 but Kalamunda again dominated second half territory and possession.

But after 14 minutes a loose Kalamunda offload from a tackle on half way was snaffled by Neddies flyhalf Nathan Roberts and he raced over the 22. A couple of rucks later, Western Force hooker Holmes burrowed over for the try, opening up a 23-11 lead. Holmes was in everything in an outstanding display, but Force centre Haig Sare was absent with the flu.

Nedlands lifted to even the possession stakes, while Kalamunda's errors increased as they tried to up the tempo and catch up as the second half passed the midway point. Holmes grabbed another loose ball and kicked ahead after 25 minutes, Neddies turned over the ruck and spun the ball wide for centre Vincent Feausi to score out wide. The conversion missed but Nedlands opened up an intimidating 28-11 lead.

When Kalamunda earned a penalty after 30 minutes, Feausi was yellow carded for throwing the ball away. The Bulls opted to tap the ball but knocked on in front of the posts, only to steal a tighthead and halfback Colin Murphy nipped over for the try, then potted the conversion for a quick restart at 28-18.

With time running out the Bulls launched frenzied waves of attack but went wide one pass too many and Roberts intercepted in defence of his goal line. He sprinted over half way before handing on to wing Alvin Lau who eluded a couple of desperate tackles on his way down the remainder of the field to score under the bar. Mansfield converted from in front for a 35-18 lead with minutes to play.

Nedlands coach Tony Ball nominated his team’s defence as the decisive factor in the game.

“We cut down their opportunities, we made them make mistakes,” he said.

“And we took our opportunities which in the past we’ve let go. I was real proud of the boys.”

Ball acknowledged that the Bulls were not at their best but cited the pressure his team created as a major factor.

“Our boys deserve credit for the pressure they put on,” Ball said.

“We’ve worked hard on our defence and it showed, but at the same time it probably wasn’t one of Kalamunda’s better days”.

Balls praised Force hooker Holmes, and his back line for another outstanding performance in a match of limited possession, but wasn’t getting carried away with the result at this stage of the season.

“Luke Holmes was sensational,” he said.

“He worked hard in the tight, and he was everywhere.

“Our backs are devastating when they’re on form so we’ve given them a licence to have a crack when they think it’s on.

“But there’s no point getting ahead of ourselves. We may be in the top four now but every game’s a hard one.”

At Tompkins Park, Palmyra showed that nothing can be taken for granted with the upset of the season, overturning premiers Perth-Bayswater 31-19. The Paly forwards gained a little parity in their pack with the help of Western Force prop Gareth Hardy and despite trailing 7-5 at half time, were able to launch their useful back line in the second half to stun the complacent premiers with 26 points. Perth-Bayswater had five players out injured with the midfield badly affected, but that does not detract from a confident, positive performance from a Palmyra team that scored five tries.

At Kingsway, Wanneroo rebounded in a high-scoring game for a 33-25 win over the classy young Associates team after dropping behind 15-0 during the first half. But the Roo-dogs came good with 26 unanswered points before Soaks scored again with a single penalty kick. Wanneroo went ahead with a converted try before Soaks scored a late consolation try for the final score.

In other games, third-placed Rockingham won a tight tussle 27-22 over Wests-Subiaco at Lark Hill, and in a lower table battle at McGillivray Oval, Cottesloe came home 24-12 over University.

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes Rick, one man makes a team, and Perth only lost because they were complacent,

Makes sense.

Rookie
    vCash
    Look out Gits!!!!
    The Roo Dogs revival came when Junior Pelesasa was moved to No 10

vCash
    my new team lost... am i bad luck??

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Look out Gits!!!!
    The Roo Dogs revival came when Junior Pelesasa was moved to No 10
    ...nothing to do with the coach...

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Yes Rick, one man makes a team, and Perth only lost because they were complacent,

Makes sense.
    if perth were complacent wouldnt they have come back in the second half?

once again the intelligance of this journelist is truely shown

vCash
    Baysies lost because of a whole sting of injuries that sidelined some of the top talent in the club.
    There were 5 Second grade players coming of the bench for the Prems and this was after they played a full game for second grade beating Paly 61-17 just before that.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    if perth were complacent wouldnt they have come back in the second half?

once again the intelligance of this journelist is truely shown
    at least he can spell

vCash
    Pieter for God's sake this is BS. Palmyra have had 5 or 6 players out of their first side every week since the start of the season. We haven't had the luxury of Force players week in and week out. When our players get red carded, they are suspended.

Your team was matched in the scrums, won marginally in the lineouts and was destroyed in nearly every attacking foray they made through some of the most effective blanket defence and aggressive tackling I have seen this season.

Our backs were stronger and more imaginative in attack than yours, and made their own opportunities out of the obvious chinks in your defence.

For one of the few times this year too, we had a referee who didn't come to the game with pre conceived opinions and refereed on the merits instead of following a script.

Everything else is just excuses. Perth were just not good enough and were beaten by a better side on the day. Get used to it . God knows I have. When the tables are turned on you, have the grace to accept it.

And, by the way, I could spout the same crap about our second grade's loss as you do about your firsts, with exactly the same degree of merit; none.

vCash
    FS I admit that the Paly Prems was the best team on the day and congrats to that. My previous post just gave the reasons why they where better. We just did not have enough available players on the day.

I don't know what you are going on about players. Baysies only had one actively playing Force
    player( Fardy) and he left after his contract wasn't renewed. And by the way if you haven't got at least 2 or 3 players in your team then the impact they make is minimal

Pieter

Last edited by pieter blackie; 22-06-08 at 21:46.

vCash
    For one of the few times this year too, we had a referee who didn't come to the game with pre conceived opinions and refereed on the merits instead of following a script.
    ...and of course I hereby register my protest and indignation relating to this remark.

I have refereed Paly twice this season and went into both games (as I do for all of my games) with no pre conceived opinions. The fact that Paly were crap in the first game and very competitive for 65 minutes of the second game had nothing to do with any pre conception on the part of the ref. Especially in the second game - and you know which one I'm talking about FS - my post-game opinion was that Paly's captain did a disservice to his team by not displaying a bit of leadership when the sin bins started.

I know of perhaps one ref who has a love/hate relationship with one particular team and may be accused of pre conceived opinions but I am entirely sure that even he simply referees what he sees before him on the day.

Right, rant over;

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 22-06-08 at 21:15.

vCash
    Two words : Robbie Burns.

vCash

Makes sense.
    You're going to have to work on that gracious winner attitude, Frank.

I know you haven't had much practice lately... :-)

vCash
    If I ever win a very large lottery and buy a rugby franchise with the proceeds, I'm gonna award membership No1 to FS. I'd hate to have him with the oppo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Two words : Robbie Burns.
    "The best laid plans O' mice and men gang aft aglay"
    or
    "Here are we met three merry boys; three merry boys I trow are we!"
    or
    "Wee sleekit cowering timrous beastie O what a panics in thy breastie"
    or
    "O, to see yourself as others see you"

Yes, yes, it's all clear now...