Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tahu earns Deans' inside centre approval

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tahu earns Deans' inside centre approval

Tahu earns Deans' inside centre approval

June 22, 2008 - 6:35PM

League convert Timana Tahu nominated centre as his preferred position and earned the approval of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans after starring in Australia A's 90-7 Pacific Nations Cup rugby romp over Tonga at North Sydney Oval.

The dominant and well-skilled Australians ran in 14 tries against the hopelessly outclassed Tongans to take a two point lead over New Zealand Maori with two rounds of the six-team tournament remaining.

Tahu, who missed much of his first Super season with the Waratahs because of injury, revelled in his playmaking role at inside centre, scoring one try and playing a part in six more.

He threw the final pass for four first half tries and created havoc with his footwork, his ability to break tackles and his passing.

No.8 Stephen Hoiles crossed four times, with winger Digby Ioane, five-eighth Sam Norton-Knight and reserve back Drew Mitchell all crossing the Tongan stripe twice and backs Morgan Turinui, Lachlan Turner, Patrick Phibbs and Tahu once each.

Deans specifically requested Tahu, who played primarily on the wing and occasionally in the centres during his injury interrupted Super campaign, start at inside centre.

"That's clearly one position he can play for sure. (Australia A coach Phil Mooney) and I had a conversation and just thought it would be good for him to get as many involvements as possible," Deans said.

"He did well and there's obviously still a lot of scope for growth, but every time he plays he will be better for it."

Tahu said he didn't want to be a "crash and bash" style inside centre and that Deans had wanted him to use his footwork and ball skills.

"You get heaps of touches of the ball and there's heaps of work in it, I'm fitting pretty comfortably into 12," Tahu said.

"I've had the chance to play wing, 13 and 12 now, but I think it (inside centre) is a preferred position for me".

Mooney described Tahu's performance as outstanding, while Australia A captain and Wallabies centre Turinui felt 12 was the NSW star's best position at present.

"I think in the short term 12 is his position because it's still the learning phase and then once he thinks like a rugby player, you can play him anywhere," Turinui said.
    Mitchell and flanker Hugh McMeniman each proved they had recovered from injury while prop Sekope Kepu impressed Mooney.

Mooney and Deans were both pleased with the A team's performance with the Wallabies coach saying there was no doubt some of the team would "get access" to the Test side later in the season.

© 2008 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/sport...0622-2uw8.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I thought tahus first half was sensational and even though the opposition wasn't so great, he didn't really put a foot wrong all game. To be a truly world class centre, he will need to develop his tactical kicking but otherwise a wallaby bench spot might not be out of the question.

vCash
    Can he kick out of hand? That's one role that inside centres have to do in successful teams.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    he's gotta be behind a few for the inside centre gig you would think??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    I thought tahus first half was sensational and even though the opposition wasn't so great, he didn't really put a foot wrong all game. To be a truly world class centre, he will need to develop his tactical kicking but otherwise a wallaby bench spot might not be out of the question.
    Agreed - drop Cross now.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Give it a rest Moses. It's getting very old.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    This is the first time I've called for Cross to be dropped isn't it?

Makes sense though, Easts got destroyed by Gordon despite having Rathbone and Cross in their side.

vCash
    did Rathbone actually survive??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    he's gotta be behind a few for the inside centre gig you would think??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I dunno so much Jargs, can you list a whole heap of international standard inside centres right now?

I get pretty dry after Spanner and Berrick. Spanner would make a great utility back, berrick can cover 10 and 12 and might be better on the bench (Unless he's better than Tahu head to head)

It all comes down to...did Tahu play almost as well as a Gits on Sunday, or did Tonga make him look a lot better than he actually was. I suspect a fair bit of the latter will be applied to the assessment of everybody's perfromance in that game. The real assessment will occur after the NZ Maori's game

C'mon the

vCash
    Haven't found a match review yet, just this reference to a former Rooster!
    Quote Originally Posted by smh
    former Rooster Ryan Cross debuted for Easts in a 36-12 loss to Gordon at Chatswood

vCash
    Gigs makes a good point, hard to judge given the apparent weakness of a team who came so close to upsetting South Africa in the RWC - must be missing a lot of players?

I still think our best 12 is Giteau, shame that he also seems to be our best 10...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I still think our best 12 is Giteau, shame that he also seems to be our best 10...

and # 9

vCash
    i wouldn't be against giving him a run against the surrender monkeys on saturday. Fair enough if he played well, but it would be a way to find out if he played well or the Tongans made him look better
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    indeed, the NZ Maori matchup at SFS will be his real litmus test.

Burgo's the best 9 in the country without question. Giteau's alright, possibly we can free up a bench spot by keeping him on the bench. Actually come to think of it, this is likely the reason Deans wanted Ben Lucas at 10 - utility 9/10/12 bench player would be very handy

vCash
    Tahu stars in Tongan trouncing
    June 22, 2008

LEAGUE convert Timana Tahu nominated centre as his preferred position and earned the approval of Australia coach Robbie Deans after starring in Australia A's 90-7 Pacific Nations Cup rugby romp over Tonga at North Sydney Oval.

The dominant and well-skilled Australians ran in 14 tries against the hopelessly outclassed Tongans to take a two point lead over New Zealand Maori with two rounds of the six-team tournament remaining.

Tahu, who missed much of his first Super season with the Waratahs because of injury, revelled in his playmaking role at inside centre, scoring one try and playing a part in six more.

more...Tahu stars in Tongan trouncing - Rugby - Fox Sports

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast