Thread: Eddie Jones tips loan model for Super competition

vCash

Eddie Jones tips loan model for Super competition

Eddie Jones tips loan model for Super competition
    Eddie Jones
    June 21, 2008 12:00am

SOCCER'S model of signing top players to five-year deals and 'loaning' stars to overseas clubs is the future I see for rugby.

Digest a few facts.

The player market in Europe at the moment is red hot.

French clubs are prepared to pay up to $450,000 ($735,000) for a top player. (I suspect that should be 450k EUROS which would convert to roughly AUD$735k.)

Recently, a high profile Wallaby back knocked back an offer of this magnitude.

There are 14 professional clubs in Division 1, another 14 pro clubs in Division 2, and talk of Division 3 in France also going professional.

Read More

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by KenyaQuin; 24-06-08 at 11:14.

vCash
    IMHO this is a stupid idea. I dont think it shows much pride for your country if you want to play somewhere where you will get top dollar and only return to play for your country because you have to, or you feel obliged. If you want to leave, leave.

Recently, a high profile Wallaby back knocked back an offer of this magnitude.
    Who was this?

As for this suggestion
    Northern hemisphere stars could do the same - Jonny Wilkinson joins the Western Force for six months.
    I dont bloody think so! I wouldnt disown the Force if that ever happened but I most certainly will not be cheering for Jonny.

Last edited by laura; 31-08-08 at 16:13.

vCash
    we don't play boring rugby so that will never happen
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I think what you are finding is that with all and sundry predicting an (increased) migration of SH top players whilst in their prime (unlike before when it was the retired) to the NH rugby comps, SH rugby--mainly Australia and the Kiwis--need to develop a flexible system that aims at keeping the players in SH comps (namely for the S14, Tri-Nations, Tests) but not at the expense of losing out on the big $$ in the NH.

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, a player who's achieved his goals in the SH (ie, rep'd in S14 and Tests) in many cases will find chasing the big $$ a bigger pull in their relatively short career life spans than loyalty.

The last thing the SH needs is their big draw cards moving away especially at a time when they desperately need to attract spectators back into the game. New Zealand have already set precedent with Richie and Carter, South Africa are allowing foreign based players to play for the Boks and I guess its only a matter of time before the Wallabies jump on board.

In respect to NH players coming down, its simply a matter of getting used to the idea. People will cheers who ever plays for their team so long as they play well and the results come in. Again, look at rugby in the NH, I watched highlights of the French Top 14 comp semis and the crowd support is amazing, selling out the venues (55k in one). Everyone decked out in their club colours and supporting their teams even though a large number of the players are foreigners. At the end of the day we want our teams to play well and win championships regardless of the makeup of the team.

vCash
    Works decently in soccer, why not here?

A loan system would work well in all levels, for example some of the young up and coming academy players could be loaned to play in the NPC, Curry Cup or whatever and still be on the books of thier province. A player who has not performed doesn't need stay on the teams books until his contract runs out or they find grounds to terminate it, they can simply shift them off to another team until the contract is up, effectively freeing up a large amount of funds for someone else. It would give a viable way for NSW to get rid of Lote

vCash
    It also makes the supporters and sponsors more interested and interesting - if your fav player goes North you'd watch a couple of his games etc.. .

It would have the effect of giving us year round rugby to follow - which considering how brief the S14 season is - has got to be a good thing. Our younger players would not be contained by the glass ceiling that exist here and NZ (4 franchise options unless you have a couple of grannies that emigrated etc..) suspect that our local talent pool would improve with some competition as well.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    If you want to leave, leave.
    This is an argument we've been able to use for a long time but if the trends of the last couple of years continue (it staggers me how the money in the game is growing up there) it seems to be an increasingly difficult one to make.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    I think what you are finding is that with all and sundry predicting an (increased) migration of SH top players whilst in their prime (unlike before when it was the retired) to the NH rugby comps, SH rugby--mainly Australia and the Kiwis--need to develop a flexible system that aims at keeping the players in SH comps (namely for the S14, Tri-Nations, Tests) but not at the expense of losing out on the big $$ in the NH.
    When it comes down to the nitty gritty, a player who's achieved his goals in the SH (ie, rep'd in S14 and Tests) in many cases will find chasing the big $$ a bigger pull in their relatively short career life spans than loyalty.
    Absolutely, I have no problems with players going for the bucks, in fact I did the same thing in my field by living in the UK for 3 years and making some pounds. Sure, the Australian economy would have been better served by me staying in Australia.. but that didn't stop me. I can't see the difference between me and the hundreds of thousands of Aussies working OS to make a buck and see the world, and a rugby player wanting to maximise his income for his family.
    The last thing the SH needs is their big draw cards moving away especially at a time when they desperately need to attract spectators back into the game. New Zealand have already set precedent with Richie and Carter, South Africa are allowing foreign based players to play for the Boks and I guess its only a matter of time before the Wallabies jump on board.
    Too true, Matfield, Montgomery and a host of other Springboks are chasing the European cashcow, and good on them. It's a bigger pull for the Saffas as they're rand is around 12:1 to the Euro there's a massive incentive to travel.
    In respect to NH players coming down, its simply a matter of getting used to the idea.
    One could argue that Force supporters are already used to the idea of Queenslanders coming west.
    People will cheers who ever plays for their team so long as they play well and the results come in. Again, look at rugby in the NH, I watched highlights of the French Top 14 comp semis and the crowd support is amazing, selling out the venues (55k in one). Everyone decked out in their club colours and supporting their teams even though a large number of the players are foreigners. At the end of the day we want our teams to play well and win championships regardless of the makeup of the team.
    Written like a true Chelsea supporter

vCash
    i think its a good idea..

Its dissapointing to see players leave Australia, but you cant really hold it against them trying to earn the best income they can.

If players are abled to be loaned to a club for a season, then the player gets his nice paypacket and the both clubs get what they want in relative terms.

Rather then losing players like Elsom to Europe for years, NSW could loan him to Leincester for a fee and Rocky also also demand his paypacket. That way clubs are not left out of pocket for the cost incurred by developing a player.

vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ...Leincester...

Things must be tough in Northern Hemisphere Rugby, if Leicester and Leinster have merged to make ends meet!

Brother Gallagher I hear you