Thread: Crusaders could lose playing depth

vCash

Crusaders could lose playing depth

THE Crusaders could be forced to offload a number of their star players because of the break-up of the Tasman union.

Marlborough have said they want to split from Nelson Bays and go it alone in the Heartland Championship next year.

With the NZRU discussing the makeup of the Air New Zealand Cup including how many teams will be in it next year and because of the financial burden of the competition, there is a clear willingness to reduce the number of top-flight teams.

The the killing off of Tasman would have serious ramifications on the Crusaders franchise.

From this year's squad Kahn Fotuali'i, Ben Franks, Ti'i Paulo, Kade Poki, Caleb Ralph, Brad Thorn and Ali Williams have all played for the (Tasman) Makos or are on their books.

If the Makos were to disappear, a number of those players may no longer be able to play for the Crusaders as Canterbury wouldn't be able to accommodate them inside their salary cap.

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like Robbie got out at the right time

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I've had the impression that NZ Super Rugby contracting & player allocation is a dog's breakfast. It's nice to have confirmation.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David