Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WA economy to reap $10m windfall from rugby Tests

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

WA economy to reap $10m windfall from rugby Tests

WA will reap a $10 million bonanza from the deal that sees four Australian rugby union Tests held in Perth.
    Saturday's Wallaby Tri-Nations opener against World Cup-holders South Africa at Subiaco Oval is the second game in the deal.

The first was the 49-0 win over Fiji at Subiaco last year.

more from the Sunday Times.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "Saturday's match will celebrate of decade of Test match rugby in Perth "

now that disgusts me

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I think every cent of that should be donated to the new RECTANGULAR stadium fund.

vCash
    Agreed. If i could praise on my phone i would
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    This is the real strength of Rugby and why the local Goverment have to start taking it seriously - Rugby brings international tourists who spend money - unlike AFL.

Can you imagine the tourism industry when the start getting to finals - hopefully by then we won't need the "Blue Crew" to make the stadium look and feel full - the loyal fans would be doing it all by themselves in a stadium where everyone gets to see the action - making the games a must go to event - and people won't need foxtel replays to figure out what actually happened during certain phases of play.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    The first was the 49-0 win over Fiji at Subiaco last year.
    the crappiest seats, result, turnout and quality of pitch one ever did see !

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    We need a rugby friendly minister on our side, even Alan Carpenter is a GAYFL supporter. (Oops is that a typo??)

That kick and tickle game is so stupid it is AAAGH!!! so annoying. Every sports section on the news each night should be called the AFL section with a 5 second report on anything not related to the stupid game.

Test matches and Force games should be being shown free to air on TV it's the ARU's big mistake.

A rectangular stadium?? No chance, unless it's privately backed. I wish I had the money I'd pay for it myself. Imagine a pristine green rugby field with crisp white lines that never get painted over for another code to run onto OUR field. Seats so close to the lineout you can hear the calls from the players and could almost pat the hooker on the back. AAh priceless. OOps sorry fell asleep, dreaming again.

vCash
    I don't know if there were extenuating circumstances, I gotta say I thought it was a bit odd that the only government rep who made it to the dinner last week was the small business minister.
    The ARU obviously value the extra $$ in offering exclusive rights to the S14 to Fox, but over here they defiantely shoot themselves in the foot when the FTA broadcaster can't be compelled to screen test matches before midnight.
    As for the stadium- the stadium they said they'd build when we got the team? The stadium plan tht was hijacked by the AFL in order to build their new sparkling ediface to a game noone has heard of outside this country? I'm still holding out hope- not becasue it's a particularly rational thing to do but because it's the only thing standing between me and senseless violence every time I take my seat at Subi and realise I left my telescope at home.
    It's ridiculous how these people bang on about all the great revenue that international games like rugby and soccer (I use the term to distinguish it from AFL this time) attract without making any attempts to support either game.

vCash
    how about the Minister for Tourism yesterday? She said she loved rugby, surely she could put in a good word to Carpenter about the new stadium yes?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    "Saturday's match will celebrate of decade of Test match rugby in Perth "

now that disgusts me
    Before the tests there were games like WA v Ireland, so it wasn't all doom and gloom.
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    how about the Minister for Tourism yesterday? She said she loved rugby, surely she could put in a good word to Carpenter about the new stadium yes?
    I'm not sure, politicians love pandering to the masses and not actually doing a thing. She could simply be lying to sound great, it's the actions that back it up that count. Of which the government have done none.

PS. What happened to that petition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post

It's still happening

vCash
    I went to Wales V WA at the WACA many moons ago and it was great. It was a good crowd even then and we discussed the possibility of a rugby stadium way back then. I feel it's a lost cause, pray the two Perth GAYFL teams continue their poor performance and our voices may start to be heard.

If we had a sports minister that was a Rugby Union man or woman we would have our stadium, it's that simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Before the tests there were games like WA v Ireland, so it wasn't all doom and gloom.

I'm not sure, politicians love pandering to the masses and not actually doing a thing. She could simply be lying to sound great, it's the actions that back it up that count. Of which the government have done none.

Yeah ask her which one she likes and see the blank expression on her face, "I don't know which ones the one where jump for the ball after it goes out? I like that one" would probably be her reply.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    It's still happening
    When's handover day, you would want to do it when the petition was still fresh and before the AFL stadium planning has gone to the point of no return. Or it is a lost cause as welshrugbyfan said.

vCash
    Go to We Need Corners - Getting Perth a Dedicated Rectangular Stadium - Index

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast