Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silence broken from the across the ditch

vCash

Silence broken from the across the ditch

Kia ora everybody,
    I have sat back and mulled things over since Saturday night. My scrambled thoughts are;
    New Zealand was well beaten on the night.
    The crowd and spectacle was surperb.
    I wouldn't want to single out too many, but given previous performances I thought Burgess and AAC were great.
    I suffered thru a one eyed NZ commentary, then watched it again with the sound down!
    How bad was Luaaki?
    How poor was the 1/2 back crap?
    The difference between Braid and Cinderella is that at least Cinders made it to the ball!
    DC was on his own.
    The ELVs make for a scrappy type of game (not what the purists like), where speed of thought is as important as speed of foot.
    NZ will never quite get it until everyone can put as much passion into the National Anthem as they can the haka, embarassing (& arogant)

My personal opinion in one line is; the main difference between the two teams is the mean IQ, and that's not likely to change much in a week.

In closing, well done Australia, a most deserved win. As I said way back in one of my first posts, I have always admired the way Aussie attempts to play the game coz the top two inches are fairly important.

For you are young and free.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How long do you give Henry ?

Also was really surprised at the age of a lot of the players - they all seem to be 27+ especially the forwards !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    Before we all get a "WOODY" (sorry fellow member) lets see how we perform on the other side of the ditch, Hats off to the wallabies for the past 5 weeks (great wins against World Champions SAF, 2007 Tri nations champions All Blacks, and Semi Finalist World Cup French) But all games have been in front of our loyal supporters.

Our real test will be this week, and if the AB can field more than one player (I mean as the last two tests they have played Carter is the only one doing anything decent, So-oilia, Lukaai, Wiliams have been rubbish) They miss Richie like a dummy to a baby. At least this week it may be 2 vs 15 not 1.

vCash
    Not having a go at Woody - and it will be a different team across the ditch and with McCaw back - just curious how bad the rumblings are over there - the life of a Kiwi coach is not trouble free !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I live in Canterbury (where Hart got spat at after the RWC) so what I see day to day is very one sided. However pretty much everybody I have spoken in NZ thinks the NZRFU got it wrong with keeping Henry. They discarded evryone else (including Mitch) almost immeadiately. This time they held off, went thru the application/interview process then kept him anyway???

Agreed, Auckland will be a different prospect. McCaw (and I know many of you think he is cheater) will add much to the 15, but I struggle with the likes of Soi-iolo, Thorn and Williams being out-played (and they were).
    Sivi is a gifted athlete but he isn't clever.
    Mils may go for MacDonald (a Deans favourite) with Mils to 13 (I doubt it but that's where I would go).
    Nonu's game is smash it thru the line, when that doesn't happen he's not got a lot to add (not a link or a boot).
    If Henry is prepared to eat some pie he may bring Kieran Read in at 6 or onto the bench (again I doubt it).
    1/2 back could see Weepu back thru necessity.

As far as Henry is concerned, I think he'll go next year with Hansen taking over (I reckon the Union know that already).

This Saturday I think the ABs will win, but regardless the damage has been done.

Last edited by Woody; 28-07-08 at 07:38. Reason: fat fingers

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I live in Canterbury (where Hart got spat at after the RWC) so what I see day to day is very one sided. However pretty much everybody I have spoken in NZ thinks the NZRFU got it wrong with keeping Henry. They discarded evryone else (including Mitch) almost immeadiately. This time they held off, went thru the application/interview process then kept him anyway???

Agreed, Auckland will be a different prospect. McCaw (and I know many of you think he is cheater) will add much to the 15, but I struggle with the likes of Soi-iolo, Thorn and Williams being out-played (and they were).
    Sivi is a gifted athlete but he isn't clever.
    Mils may go for MacDonald (a Deans favourite) with Mils to 13 (I doubt it but that's where I would go).
    Nonu's game is smash it thru the line, when that doesn't happen he's not got a lot to add (not a link or a boot).
    If Henry is prepared to eat some pie he may bring Kieran Read in at 6 or onto the bench (again I doubt it).
    1/2 back could see Weepu back thru necessity.

As far as Henry is concerned, I think he'll go next year with Hansen taking over (I reckon the Union know that already).

This Saturday I think the ABs will win, but regardless the damage has been done.
    Weppu your going to the barrel now next you'll be saying Justin Marshall or Byron Kelleher will be coming back ...
    (thought weppu was a lost cause thats why he wasn't even in the 30 man squad)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Weppu your going to the barrel now next you'll be saying Justin Marshall or Byron Kelleher will be coming back ...
    (thought weppu was a lost cause thats why he wasn't even in the 30 man squad)
    There really isn't anybody else to go to. Leonard is out for a while yet I think. Bringing in a complete newbie at 9 would be folly and Wee Poo (Big Poo's little brother) has been playing NPC warm up games so he'll be fit(ish).

Basically he was dropped due to his inability to stay away from Maccers and KFC.

Last edited by Woody; 28-07-08 at 08:22. Reason: Addition.

vCash
    Basically he was dropped due to his inability to stay away from Maccers and KFC.
    I'm sure Dunning should be in the same boat!!!!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

vCash
    Big boat! (or some waka)

For all the shit that Dunning gets he sung it big time for Advance Australia Fair,.....I like that.

vCash
    I agree!!!!!Thats how my inlaws judge a test. The team who puts the most effort into the National Anthem, 9o% chance of winning the test!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

vCash
    Tatafu Polota-Nau was the only Aussie not singing it up (I don't know much about him so want say anything that may get me into bother).
    Less than 1/2 the ABs were giving it a go(God Denfend NZ not the Fair!). There has been a big push here since last year's RWC about pride in the jersey etc, bringing in Meads and people of his ilk. I would have thought that you sign a contract with the NZRFU you are expected, nay, obligated to know our country's anthem and sing it with passion and pride. Until they can do that properly they shouldn't perform the haka. It's about earning the right.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Tatafu Polota-Nau was the only Aussie not singing it up (I don't know much about him so want say anything that may get me into bother).
    Less than 1/2 the ABs were giving it a go(God Denfend NZ not the Fair!). There has been a big push here since last year's RWC about pride in the jersey etc, bringing in Meads and people of his ilk. I would have thought that you sign a contract with the NZRFU you are expected, nay, obligated to know our country's anthem and sing it with passion and pride. Until they can do that properly they shouldn't perform the haka. It's about earning the right.
    bring out the guitars & they will all sing it with gusto

vCash
    Hard for me to comment with any authority on that last post Woody since I've never even been to the shaky isles, but from afar it looks like the Haka is very stage managed, with the guys up front looking passionate and strong but the guys down the back about as passionate as the ones not singing the anthem.

It'll be interesting in light of this to see whether anything much changes. I thought Sat nite was as much about passion and heart as it was about skill. I would reckno that the actual names on the pitch don't make a helluva lot of difference there, they just need to switch on. Let's face it there were moments there where even the lot they had on Sat Nite (with everything you said about them Woody) made my toes bunch up. I spent the first 20 minutes of the second half waiting for the other boot to drop!

They need to get fired up, they just faded out in the end, that was the problem IMHO. I reckon McCaw alone will make sure a lot of that will happen, for all his cheating, he sure knows how to get fired up and to inspire the guys around him. This is in no way over. We'll have to lift significantly to get a follow up win in NZ.

Can't wait!

C'mon the

vCash
    Good game all in all. Throwing the ball from everywhere possible by the ABs was a good spectacle but going by the law of percentages, not really wise against the OzMob who always have a superior defense.

Luaki Luaki Luaki..not only did he have a few crucial fumbles but what about scrummages? I actually felt sorry for him for indeed it was a shocker.

I thought Sivivatu and Carter both had good games but where we lacked support was in the centres. Big breaks from the two players but no 12 or 13 on either side for support.

More problematic was the breakdowns. Our rucks were pretty open to attack, few numbers if any to protect the ball and we ended up losing plenty of ball through either short-arms or steals.

I think Weepu should get a run, he wasn't too bad in the Pacific Cup and I think there's still good game in him..better than having two injured halfs anyway. Dunno how they got away with the blood-bin rule..

Didn't see too much of the big name forwards in So'oialo, Williams, Thorn, and Kaino. Perhaps missing the leadership of McCaw, still someone needed to take it to the OzMob but no one did.

I thought the front row held up well..Hore had good moments however still have issues with the lineouts..and looks like this will never be fixed.

vCash
    Damn straight Gigs. If the ABs can't get enthusiastic about this they never will. What origonally looked like it may be an ordinary Tri series is shaping up to be anything but.

Personally I struggle with the way the haka is 'branded' now, it is not a war dance, but I reckon to anyone overseas that is how it would be percieved. It'll be over in China this year too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast