Thread: Rugby codes chase schoolboy star

vCash

Rugby codes chase schoolboy star

Rugby codes chase schoolboy star

August 04, 2008

THE Brisbane Broncos are hoping to win the race to sign impressive high school student Dane Gagai, who is also in the sights of the Queensland Reds and other NRL clubs.

Gagai's father, Ray, an electrifying winger from Mackay who represented Queensland country in the eighties, was recruited by the Broncos in 1989.

He never played a game because at the time Brisbane were blessed with wingers such as Michael Hancock, Joe Kilroy and Willie Carne.

Brisbane have interviewed the 17 year-old centre, a relative of Wendell Sailor who is captain of the first XV at Brisbane Boys' College.

It's understood he's also considering approaches from the Cowboys and the Reds and will make his decision by the end of the month.

Football manager Peter Nolan said the Broncos were keen to attract young Gagai to the club straight out of high school.

Brisbane, who have had their eye on Gagai for 18 months, interviewed him last month.

"He's very talented and an exceptionally level-headed young kid," said Nolan.

"He's done very good at school since BBC brought him down from Mackay."

A current member of the Queensland Reds national training squad, Gagai has not made up his mind between league and rugby.

"I've had offers from rugby and league, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do," Gagai said recently.

"I'm going to finish the rugby season and make a decision then."

Gagai has excelled as a student since joining BBC on an indigenous scholarship program during year 10.

His name heads an honour board of 200 students who've made the greatest improvements in their academic achievements this year.

"He's a lovely, good quality kid and BBC deserve a big rap for what they've done for him," said Nolan.

"We're going to do our best and hope we get him."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    he is playing rugby, and rugby league is chasing him!
    this is what s@#ts me, so many of these kids are in rugby circles but we have not got a good enough youth system to bring them through! he can start getting payed by the broncos now while he is still studying but rugby will offer him a progression to the reds and pay him a couple of hundred per game! it sucks!

vCash
    actually he was a league player before he was a union player, its only because BSHS dont play league that he is playing union.

Honestly, from what i have heard he is good but nothing special.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    BBC that would be TOCC.....and they only won 3 games for the year by the look, so what you heard may be right.

vCash
    From what i've seen as well he's more suited to league. As a relative of Sailor i'd be happy to let the Broncos have him....

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    ah yeah woops, mean to say BBC, a couple of people i know say they watched him at the schoolboys comp and he stood out a bit, but there were plenty others who looked better.

The Broncos have a fantastic junior development program anyway, let him go there for a couple of years and learn how to be a proper professional and then rugby can take him back. Interesting to note that the Reds have 3 former Broncos in there squad for 2009, Charlie Fetoia, Rodney Davies(signed this year) and obviously Berrick Barnes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    "He's done very good at school since BBC brought him down from Mackay."
    I would guess he's done very good at playing rugby rather than doneing very good at riteing that inglish stuff.

Obviously his scout don't go much for that fancy book learnin'

C'mon the