Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was the ARC canned?

vCash

Why was the ARC canned?

Can anyone shed some light on why the ARC/APC is doomed not to continue? Thought it was such a great competition, and definitley the way to bring on all the young players with dreams and ambitions?
    Bails

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ARU politics, NSWRU ineptitude and loss making.

vCash
    It lost too much money for the ARUs liking so they canned it.

vCash
    i rekon it was a great idea...got the players and new players who didnt get picked for the wallabies to play some rugby in there off season so they will stay fit and ready for the next super 14 season

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Somewhere along the line someone has to realise that not every dollar you put in has an immediate return? It is about investment in the future - you cannot measure that kind of input within 2 -3 years. You have to wait and be confident that in 2-3 years we will be watching young Perth - home-grown players stepping up to the big stage.
    Very short sighted in my view, to close down this avenue of development - there are lots of young players out there who think that they 'may' have what it takes to play for the Force - but who will be discouraged by the withdrawal of this platform.
    Bails

vCash
    but it was like a $5million loss, the ARU only has something like $20-30 in reserves

vCash
    Compensation to the Sydney clubs didn't help either!!! Bunch of whingers!!!!!!

ALL BLACKS - STRENGTH OF 15

Champion
    vCash
    sydneysiders were the big moaners. They didn't like it cause it was weakening there local grades, instead of looking at the big picture of Australian Rugby they were more interested in the "ameteaur" sport for weekend players (okay there's talent in the likes of randwick and co) but are we not all wanting Australia to proceed to the number one spot in world ranking.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    OK, Benny, seeing as we all want Australia to proceed to number one in World Rankings, lets take the bestest fifty players out of all our Australian Super 14 Franchises and isolate them from Super 14 so they can play exclusively for Australia in Tests and Internationals.

Super 14 teams can field second string sides because super 14s will still remain the bestest secondary competition in the land, won't it?

Everyone will flock to see secondary Super 14s, just as they flock to see club games today, and just as they flocked to see Secondary ARC games all over Australia.

I don't think the Super 14 Franchises will complain, and if they do they'll just be big moaners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I don't think the Super 14 Franchises will complain, and if they do they'll just be big moaners.
    Ouch!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    and yet it is fine to do a shoulder charge when they smash another fella whos not even looking...if you did that in rugby you'd be rubbed out for a couple of games or at least cool your heels in the bin
    not if you've got a get bakkies out of jail free card

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSEEN View Post
    Compensation to the Sydney clubs didn't help either!!! Bunch of whingers!!!!!!
    Of the 5 million dollars lost, 1.5 Million was Melbourne - to be expected, I think about 1.5 Mill to Qld clubs (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong there TOCC) a couple hundred thousand to ACTRugby and the Rest was compensation payments to Sydney clubs. Perth actually made a buck (now I think of it ACT did too didn't they?)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    but it was like a $5million loss, the ARU only has something like $20-30 in reserves
    probably more now, what did they sell the 08 Bledisloe for?

vCash
    i dont think i ever actually went through a breakdown of the figures, i know Melbourne did cost a lot, and some of the coaches broke the budget as well. Pretty sure the East Coast aces ran a big defecit as well.

I like the concept of the MARC, but they way it was created and the teams they created were a bit of a joke, i mean 'East Coast Aces' what a load of shit. The Aces were never going to work considering all the players they picked for the team were from Brisbane Southside clubs and had to play on the Gold Coast. They lost there local supporters and gained nothing by playing on the Coast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    what do these numbers mean?
    Is that to say the ARC cost the NSWRU $1.6 mil in addition to the ARU's grant? ie they spent $12.6mil running 3 teams?
    Thats a question for the creative accountants at NSWRU.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast