0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    not a basketball fan then Larry?

Here Gigs catch the Steeler cap!

vCash
    wasnt it the US backetball team who stayed on the QE II in athens as opposed to the olympic village?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yes they did,as an aside I notice our friends ch 7 have replaced the olympics with a coverage of Collingwood v port Adelaide

typical

vCash
    arrogance much?

vCash
    go collingwood. oops. anyways, CH7 are not exactly in the good books right now.. what about all the people who want to watch the soccer, or the hockey at the Olympics? my dad's on the 'CH7 SUCKS' bandwagon now

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    SBS

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Can you get Eurosport on Foxtel (I've been away for a couple of weeks & short-term memory isn't what it was!)? Was in Warsaw during the week & Eurosport coverage of the Olympics was top-notch.....all the action, none of the fluff (apart from the occasional female beach volleyballer!!!!).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    I registered and this is my attempt at a convincing arguement for rugby's re-inclusion in the Olympics...is it ok?

Rugby Union has over 3 million active players worldwide, as of 2007. With the new Experimental Law Variations (ELV's) currently being trialled around the globe, it is clear to see that Rugby is a developing sport. From its origins in 1823 in England, Rugby has become a world-wide sport with competitions run all year round from local club games to International World Cups.

Rugby has a number of variations, allowing for people with different skill-sets to be able to play. These include; Rugby League, Tough Rugby, Rugby Union and Rugby Sevens. I believe that Rugby Sevens would be the most viable option for inclusion in the Olympics. It is played under modified laws and with only seven players per team, thus allowing for faster flowing games, which would be acceptable for Olympic inclusion. The teams for each Nation would comprise the most skillful and successful players from each country. As there are so many countries that participate in Rugby Union competitions, from Namibia and Georgia to Australia and England, there would be a great level of competition and spectacle.

As a rugby supporter and follower, I draw attentiom to: Western Force Rugby a supporter site for a West Australian rugby team, The Western Force. With over 150 new posts per day, it is one of the most active supporters' forums and is a testament to the level of support Rugby Union has. With forums like this for so many clubs around the world, it is easy to see that Rugby has a huge following and would be an asset to include in the Olympics.

Originating in England and being re-incepted into the 2012 Olympics in England would prove a huge success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Can you get Eurosport on Foxtel (I've been away for a couple of weeks & short-term memory isn't what it was!)? Was in Warsaw during the week & Eurosport coverage of the Olympics was top-notch.....all the action, none of the fluff (apart from the occasional female beach volleyballer!!!!).
    Eurosport News is on Foxtel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Originating in England and being re-incepted into the 2012 Olympics in England would prove a huge success.
    Good on you! The only change would be to make it 2016 as 2012 is already locked in.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon 10's is the way to go!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've posted on this before, but I have to agree - I think there is a distinct possibility that getting sevens into the Olympics could become a decision that Union could look back on with regret.

The prize for the IRB is that it will involve the major sporting nations in Rugby, particularly America. The problem is that it will not involve them in 15s, as they will set up 7s in the colleges as a stand-alone sport. Unfortunately 7s creates no requirement for forward play, so there will ultimately be a huge pool of backs and no forwards. Which rugby code would that situation favour?

Best summary I've heard - apparently there is also a push for 20/20 to be included as a potential Olympic sport. Who thinks this will create a boom in the number of Test playing nations?

vCash
    20/20 at the Olympics is just a feverish pipe-dream of some delusional cricket supporters

You might be right about 7s but it's really the only way rugby will ever get in to the Olympics. 15s is too unwieldy (yes, you can say the same for soccer but the IOC makes about 25% of its profits from it, so it will never shift) and 10s just doesn't have the established international structure or large support base of 7s.

In that case, the decision they have to make is between 7s at the Olympics or nothing at all. Personally, after Beijing, I think they should be doing all they can to get it in there - although I do see the point you guys are making.

vCash
    It's a very tricky situation, to be sure: Would 7s become an Olympic event at the expense of 15s? It's a possibility, as Andy pointed out, all backs, no forwards. I do know this: USA 7s is ahead of our 15s side competitively, as is Canada's 7s. Also, the 2008 USA 7s drew about 40,000 supporters (20,000 per day), which easily exceeds any 15s matches here. Since 7s has sort of a head start here, (and let's face it, it's easier to understand for the novice viewer) it may be on its way to becoming the most popular form of rugby in North America, especially if it becomes an Olympic sport. This makes me just a little nervous, because it could actually impede the development of both the US and Canadian programs. Hmmmmmmm

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast