Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies appeal Elsom suspension

vCash
    because he worked his butt off this season, he dominated the pack and scored 3 or 4 tries in consecutive games, therefore earning wallabies selection, therefore deserving a cap.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    -He has the mongrel that Rocky Elsom has.
    -He has the determination and motivation to do well (after 7 games of wathcing from the grandstands).
    -He is in form and he plays a bloody good game.
    -He is better than Waugh and McMeniman as a number 6 at the moment.
    -He deserves a chance, you can't bag him if you haven't even seen him play at that level.
    -He has international experience.
    -The combination of him and George Smith would be hard to beat.

...oh and he doesn't get hurt every 2nd game!!

Last edited by laura; 28-08-08 at 11:29.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Is there actually a precedent in Test Rugby for being rubbed out for a week for pulling down in the lineout? I can't think of any in recent times but happy to stand corrected.
    I haven't seen it so I can't know how serious it looked, but it seems Lyndon Bray didn't think anything special of it.
    Youtube here: 3N8 Video Lowlights - Western Force Rugby Supporters Site

Quote Originally Posted by SweetFA
    because he worked his butt off this season, he dominated the pack and scored 3 or 4 tries in consecutive games, therefore earning wallabies selection, therefore deserving a cap.
    and by the same token the white Mummba worked his butt off, scored 4 tries, and played 4/6 which are the positions they're recruiting for. However, he was also part of a successful scrum.

Didn't brown play this year at 8? As I see it that position is currently covered by Palu/Waugh, which is why we don't hear much mention of Brown from Robbie's press releases. Still, he's in the squad which is a great experience..

vCash
    I'm a big fan of Brownie, but isn't he a little short for a Storm Trooper...I mean blindside flanker?

vCash
    me = biggest brown fan. I think that with the performance he put on this year i dont think his height is any problem if he pulls the goods like he did this year. ofcourse height would be fantastico. he is 189 cm (6 ft 2 in) and 106kg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    he is 189 cm (6 ft 2 in) and 106kg
    Thanks for the info. The Internets tell me Rocky is 6' 6" and 112 kg.

It has been my understanding that at Test level you really need a big boy in at blindside. Hence the propensity to switch locks in there. And also possibly a reason the Phil Waugh experiment didn't work out.

However, since it's Brownie we are talking about, I stand waiting in eager anticipation to be proven incorrect!

vCash
    189cm is a bit under 6'1" (2.54 cm/in)
    RugbyWA list him as 101kg as at 12 May 08.

Though I'm not surprised that there's a lot of fans of the Brown, he had a good S14.

To give away 5" when jumping against Matfield (6'6.5") and Andries Bekker (6'9") is not a good start.

Last edited by Moses; 28-08-08 at 11:51.

vCash
    Agree with FS re Elsom's suspension. Its pretty dangerous stuff and why wait for a serious injury to set precedence. It is intentional dangerous play that can result in serious injury and should be dealt with accordingly (hopefully others will take note), should have been done sooner but its not too late.

vCash
    rah. and his position is : Flanker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Agree with FS re Elsom's suspension. Its pretty dangerous stuff and why wait for a serious injury to set precedence. It is intentional dangerous play that can result in serious injury and should be dealt with accordingly (hopefully others will take note), should have been done sooner but its not too late.
    If they were trying to stamp out foul play there's 4 or 5 other incidents in that match they could have cited for which do have precedants - taking players out in the air, high tackles, punching and testicular manipulation.

As for players taking note
    Quote Originally Posted by 3M
    "It's real disappointing that Rocky is taking a week off like that, but we'll just have to deal with that," McMeniman said. "I think it's a big shock for all of us. But with that ruling, it sets a precedent now, so there will be nothing of the sort in bringing down lineouts like that. Even though it wasn't a really bad one, it sets a precedent."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks Moses, I dunno you see far worse than that let go.
    Even if they were sure of the number (ie Elsom) he was never going to get a Yellow for that.
    Going by the video montage it was another fine display of Bok thugby finished with a Steyn brain snap that backfired.
    I don't condone pulling down (having been on the recieving end plenty of times) but might be a decision to keep the Yarpies from rioting over their penalty.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    if every time a lineout jumper gets pulled down we get a full arm and a suspension then rugby is going way down hill!

the main part of the problem making lineouts dangerous is the fact that locks are strapped to aid with lifting, if you have someone in the air by the upper thigh/shorts, then there is far less chance of them coming down in a dangerous position than if your holding them around the knee!

around the knee a player has the onus on themselves to balance, it means any contact and that player is probably going to fall awkwardly, the jumper should have more responsibility to protect himself than putting all the blame on the defensive player who is going for the ball!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    Even though Mortlock has played 12 before, he's not a starting 12 material. He's a bit of a waste at 12, with his hard running and tackling needed more at 13.

I think Tahu shld be fine to play at 12. He did have moments of brilliances last week.
    I just watched an interview with Tahu, his favourite stadium is ANZ, his favourite country he has toured is South Africa and his most repsected opponent is Tyrone Smith.

I don't know how calling for him to be in the team "as an experienced player" is any different to calling for Brownie to be in the team. They pretty much have the same level of experience at this level, its just that Tahu got his start sooner because no one else was available.
    If Tahu makes the cut then so should Brownie.

Last edited by laura; 28-08-08 at 13:56. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Except of course Tahu has played State of Origin and International Rugby League for Australia, different sport but the experience of having to perform in front of big and hostile crowds would be similar in Joberg to Suncorp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I just watched an interview with Tahu, his favourite stadium is ANZ, his favourite country he has toured is South Africa and his most repsected opponent is Tyrone Smith.

I don't know how calling for him to be in the team "as an experienced player" is any different to calling for Brownie to be in the team. They pretty much have the same level of experience at this level, its just that Tahu got his start soner because no one else was available.
    If Tahu makes the cut then so should Brownie.
    exactly, Tahu is getting a start because others are out injured,
    there are fit people that rank in front of Brown in his position, this explains why Tahu is getting a chance and Brown isn't.

there not calling for him as an experienced player, he is a player with experience though. plus he is a natural 12 so it means other players remain in there preferred position!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast