Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies appeal Elsom suspension

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    because he worked his butt off this season, he dominated the pack and scored 3 or 4 tries in consecutive games, therefore earning wallabies selection, therefore deserving a cap.
    And if he doesn't get a run, just making the squad will make him go back to the Force hungrier for that Wallabies jersey. He had a good Super 14 and is in the Wallabies squad, can't thumb ya nose at that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    im not thumbing my nose, i just think that since he is teh only uncapped in teh squad he is allowed just one!?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    if every time a lineout jumper gets pulled down we get a full arm and a suspension then rugby is going way down hill!
    Jesus, that's an extreme and I think, a silly comment. There is no place for pulling down a lineout jumper and a full arm is justifiable. The tactic of pulling down a jumper is akin to using legs to trip a winger or any runner, its just dumb play and has no place in the game.

The main part of the problem making lineouts dangerous is the fact that locks are strapped to aid with lifting, if you have someone in the air by the upper thigh/shorts, then there is far less chance of them coming down in a dangerous position than if your holding them around the knee!

around the knee a player has the onus on themselves to balance, it means any contact and that player is probably going to fall awkwardly, the jumper should have more responsibility to protect himself than putting all the blame on the defensive player who is going for the ball!
    So, a player should not jump up, in open play, to receive a ball because they are putting themselves at risk?

Finally,
    ..than putting the blame on the defensive player who is going for the ball
    , have you thought this one through?

Jesus!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Jesus, that's an extreme and I think, a silly comment. There is no place for pulling down a lineout jumper and a full arm is justifiable. The tactic of pulling down a jumper is akin to using legs to trip a winger or any runner, its just dumb play and has no place in the game.

So, a player should not jump up, in open play, to receive a ball because they are putting themselves at risk?

Finally, , have you thought this one through?

Jesus!
    yep, i thought it trough, read what i wrote again!
    there has to be aline between pulling a lineout jumper and dangerous play, like a spear tackle, they have gone over the top on those and now putting a player on his back attracks a penalty!

im not saying they shouldnt jump, im saying being lifted at the knee, which is what happens now as opposed to being lifted by the shorts or upper thigh causes the lineout jumpers to be more unsteady at the top of there leap than they used to be, there centre of balance is int he air not being supported by the lifters!

i lift in lineouts and have for over 10 years, lifting by the shorts allows alot more control over the player i have than lifting on a piece of electrical tape just above the knee.

im saying that the change in the way players are lifted by this, creates a more dangerous situation for them coming down, im not saying let bad play go, just that there is a difference between a penalty and a suspension that has been grossly misrepresented in this case

vCash
    I'd agree that a full arm is justifiable for pulling someone down in the lineout, but not a citing and certainly not a suspension. Are you saying that you'd like to see suspensions for tripping on the wing as well?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ
    The main part of the problem making lineouts dangerous is the fact that locks are strapped to aid with lifting, if you have someone in the air by the upper thigh/shorts, then there is far less chance of them coming down in a dangerous position than if your holding them around the knee!

around the knee a player has the onus on themselves to balance, it means any contact and that player is probably going to fall awkwardly, the jumper should have more responsibility to protect himself than putting all the blame on the defensive player who is going for the ball!

Finally, , have you thought this one through?

Jesus!
    I believe he's saying if they want to make lineouts safer then ban teh taping of thighs, then the lifters will support the jumpers around the waist rather than the knee.

vCash
    This is the way I see it, pulling down a lineout is a deliberate act and AND can result in serious injury, ie, IS dangerous play, similar to spear tackles and tackling in the air. They have no place in the game and a suspension threat will reduce and maybe even eliminate the occurance. No problem with seeing tripping (using legs..not ankle taps) being a "suspendable" offense.

Make lineouts safer by stamping out the foul act rather than trying to police where the jumpers should be held..I think that would be easier.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Ankle Taps should get 12 weeks

Second offense should be shot at dawn.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This is the way I see it, pulling down a lineout is a deliberate act and AND can result in serious injury, ie, IS dangerous play, similar to spear tackles and tackling in the air. They have no place in the game and a suspension threat will reduce and maybe even eliminate the occurance. No problem with seeing tripping (using legs..not ankle taps) being a "suspendable" offense.

Make lineouts safer by stamping out the foul act rather than trying to police where the jumpers should be held..I think that would be easier.
    The lines do get blurred though KQ.
    Not talking about this case, but the defender could argue he lost his balance, the attacker came across, all sorts of variations.
    I really don't think that what Elsom did warrants a suspension, a yellow card at the time absolute maximum.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree Burgs..as with most penalties/yellow cards there is a degree of discretion, however, I'm suggesting that it be a general send-off/reportable offense, there are times it is quite blatant and in these cases the maximum penalty should be applied. Again, as with spear tackles we may not totally eradicate the offense however we will see a reduction in occurance.

Playing in 7s we had a line-out move which involved the scrum half (me) being lifted (you know where I'm going with this..). In summary I vividly remember being pulled down and landing on head and shoulder. No serious injury but a slight headache and sore shoulder and I can assure you I never went up again, hence my (strong) opposition to the practice.

vCash
    even without rocky we have two or three people ahead of brown for a back rower role!
    Name them.....

i know he is your boy but if you try to be objective about it he isnt currently in the mix!
    He must be in the mix if he's in South Africa with the Wallabies squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Except of course Tahu has played State of Origin and International Rugby League for Australia, different sport but the experience of having to perform in front of big and hostile crowds would be similar in Joberg to Suncorp.
    Who gives a flying **** about these mickey mouse Eastern States rentboy sports?!?!

i lift in lineouts and have for over 10 years, lifting by the shorts allows alot more control over the player i have than lifting on a piece of electrical tape just above the knee.
    I remember the days when you weren't allowed to lift in the lineouts....jeez, I must be getting on a bit!!! You're right though (oh, I hate having to write that), lifting by the shorts is a lot safer......but is not so comfortable for the guy being lifted (wedgie from below!!!!). The application of tape on the thighs has allowed for a higher lift.

WJ - you should use duck tape, not electrical tape when you're playing as it permits a better grip for your lifters & is a lot easier to remove (honest!!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Ankle Taps should get 12 weeks

Second offense should be shot at dawn.
    Get out of bed the wrong side this morning FT? Or has it still not rained?!?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    im a hooker now so i dont have to worry about lifting anymore!

im not condoning pulling down at line outs, im saying that if they outlaw lifting by the knee and bring them back lower to the ground it means that there is less chance of serious injury!

if someone deliberatly pulls down a player he deserves to be penalised but by the same token, if a part of the game is causing injury you need to look at the other side of the coin and try to reduce the chances.

if its lifting by the lower leg and clinical no touching come line out time then there is no point having them in the first place!

he onus of lifting a player and safely returning them to the ground should be on the players doing the lifting, in matfields case, both players had left him to drop by the time he hit the ground, if your going to hoist someone, you should support them on the way down as well!

vCash
    im a hooker now
    AWESOME!!!!
    r u any gewd?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hv6Wi0tN6k[/YOUTUBE]

vCash
    nah but im cheap!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Get out of bed the wrong side this morning FT?
    Or has it still not rained?!?!
    No I just hate ankle taps. If you're not fast enough to catch me, don't try and trip me.
    I have a buggered knee from a wanker who wasn't quick enough.

No it hasn't rained

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Since it is now legal to grip the lineout jumper, could we somehow hoist them into the air American cheerleader style

Not serious, just being stupid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast