Thread: All Blacks plead for fair go from Kaplan

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

All Blacks plead for fair go from Kaplan

All Blacks plead for fair go from Kaplan
    Wednesday, 10 September 2008
    All Blacks plead for fair go from Kaplan - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

The All Blacks welcomed South African rugby referee Johnathan Kaplan this week, even if he hasn't always come to the party.

Kaplan controls the All Blacks for the 13th time in Saturday's Tri-Nations decider against the Wallabies, which will draw him level with New Zealand's Paul Honiss as the most-capped referee with 46 tests.

Welshman Derek Bevan is still the All Blacks' most familiar whistler with 16 tests. He oversaw six All Blacks defeats, while Kaplan is second on that list with four.

Honiss made headlines in Australia after he said South African referee Craig Joubert allowed the Wallabies to use questionable tactics at the scrum and breakdown in their 34-19 win in Sydney; while another South African Mark Lawrence allowed the All Blacks to dominate the Wallabies' scrum and lineout in their 39-10 win in Auckland a week later.

The All Blacks rated Kaplan one of their favourite whistlers as they plead for a fair contest in the set pieces on Saturday.

"Jonathan's a good referee, one of the best in the world," forwards coach Steve Hansen said.

"Paul (Honiss) is not too far off the mark. Most referees do it slightly differently and you've got to make sure you do your homework before you go into a test match and do what you can do."

All Blacks prop Greg Somerville agreed there were varying scrum interpretations this year but felt Kaplan would allow a fair contest in an area which often baffles referees and fans alike.

"His ruling of the scrum area's really good and he doesn't put up with nonsense of running around and that kind of thing. I've got a lot of time for Jonathan when it comes to controlling the scrums," Somerville said.

"He's pretty consistent, he doesn't favour one team. You're always going to try and put pressure on the opposition but as long as you do it right technically and within the laws then he'll let you have a go. He won't put up with illegal stuff, so you know where you stand."

Wallabies forwards coach and former test loose forward Jim Williams had no issues with Kaplan.

His bigger concern was trying to right a wobbly Wallabies lineout from the 53-8 hiding from South Africa.

"I think the scrums have been fairly even and a lot of the ascendancy has come down to the referee as to who's binding and who's not.

"It's a matter of interpretation and I think our guys have been working very well.

"I haven't had a lot to do with (Kaplan). The last time I had him was the Tri-Nations game in Wellington in 2000 so I was very happy with him, especially in the last 30 seconds of the match."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Talk about blowing smoke up arses!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Sounds like their opinion of a good ref is one who picks up the cheating at the breakdown that the Aussies do but ignores the cheating at the breakdown that the Allblacks do.

I would far prefer a referee who is consistent and fair. If he's tough on killing the ball and playing off your feet (Aussie tactics) then he should be tough on entering from offside and diving into the ruck (Kiwi tactics)

It matters not a whit whther he's for us or agin us, we have to beat them on the floor or they'll be drinking out of the cup Sunday morning.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Talk about blowing smoke up arses!!!!!
    I was reading it and was about to post, only to scroll down and see that you'd done it for me. Crikey. Could they get their tongues any further down the back of Kaplan's shorts?

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Kaplan controls the All Blacks for the 13th time in Saturday's Tri-Nations decider against the Wallabies, which will draw him level with New Zealand's Paul Honiss as the most-capped referee with 46 tests.

I did not realise that Kraplan was going to be in charge. I am leaving at sparrows' tomorrow to be at Suncorp for the game. If I had known that that little Sarfie poof was going to be in charge, I might have thought again.

No I would'nt, I love Brisbane and Suncorp makes me so envious, would'nt we love somethiing like that over here?

vCash
    First it was Wayne Barnes, now it's Kraplan.

I thought there was an agreement struck between the SANZAR nations about not discussing refereeing decisions with the referees before matches.

Are the ABs expecting the to bowl underarm at Suncorp tomorrow night?

Champion
    vCash
    dry your eyes you princess from across the ditch...

my new boss is a kiwi and i would love to stick it up him, cocky so-en-so !!