Deans plays it cool and confident
By MARC HINTON in Brisbane - Fairfax Media | Friday, 12 September 2008
Deans plays it cool and confident - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

If Robbie Deans was feeling nervous about being so close to a remarkable Tri-Nations triumph, then the former All Black turned Wallabies coach was disguising it well on the eve of Saturday's winner-take-all grand finale.

Deans was forthright, enthusiastic, ebullient and just a little emotional as he reflected on a match at a sold-out Suncorp Stadium that he embraced as being of the very highest stakes. But there were no signs of anxieties from a coach who says he just wants to see his men enjoy what they do.

"The reality is it is distinct and the important thing is we recognise that and don't underestimate what is going to be required," said Deans when asked by RugbyHeaven if he embraced what goes on the line on Saturday night.

The winner will claim the Tri-Nations title, simple as that. Plus, if the Wallabies prevail, they will keep alive their hopes of regaining the Bledisloe Cup. An All Black victory sees both pieces of silverware remain in the NZRU cabinet,

"I suspect the suggestion was we came up short and underestimated what we were going to encounter at Eden Park," added Deans, in reference to his team's hiding in Auckland last month. "And we came up short in the physicality and intensity. There's no doubt that's what will be coming our way tomorrow.

"The All Blacks have got the Tri-Nations and the Bledisloe cups. They own both of them and they've owned both of them for a long time. So they're not going to let them go easily.

"And we haven't had them for a long time. There's a message in that alone, and that's the question we've got to answer tomorrow."

Gee. You almost felt like you could go out and play the game yourself listening to Deans evoke this sort of passion. You can only imagine what his players will be feeling.

"If they play well tomorrow I'll enjoy that," said Deans. "Silverware is a by-product. It's about the experience itself, and what the boys do and how they enjoy what they do. I just want to see them thrive."

It's no wonder that Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock spoke so enthusiastically about the qualities that Deans had brought with him across the ditch when he took up John O'Neill's offer to coach the Wallabies late last year. (Not before, let's not forget, he had been shunned by the NZRU.)

"It's obvious how much of a positive person he is," said Mortlock. "And that flows into the group. This group's all about giving everything they can to the team and being as positive as they can.

"Robbie has created a really good environment and I'm very hopeful that will be shown by our actions tomorrow night."

Deans also hinted at something special being served up by his Wallabies who have mixed the sublime with the ridiculous this season.

Their victories over the All Blacks in Sydney and Springboks in Durban have been of the highest calibre, yet they've also plunged the depths at Eden Park and just two weeks ago in Jo'burg when they were walloped 53-8 by the Boks (a match Deans said he's not given a moment's thought to this week).

Asked what excited him most about his Wallabies' contribution to the "Battle of Brisbane", as it's been billed, Deans said: "Playing to their potential. I don't think we've seen that yet. We've seen glimpses of it.

"This is a one-off encounter with everything at stake, so I think you will see more than just a glimpse tomorrow night.

"The key in this game is going to be doing that relentlessly because the All Blacks will be doing that. They'll be attacking relentlessly for 80 minutes.

"But that's not something that daunts us. It's something we're excited about.

"I just want to see these boys express themselves as I know they're capable of. That will make me very happy."

Deans confirmed his ill loose forward Rocky Elsom would take his place in the starting lineup. The flu-ridden Elsom skipped Thursday's training ("quarantined", as Deans put it) but was there for Friday's Captain's Run.

"He's fine," said Deans. "He was just a bit sniffly yesterday."

Deans also strongly suggested Elsom would be back in the Wallabies jersey, despite leaving any day to join Leinster in Ireland. It's been suggested he could be back in Australia as early as next year's Tri-Nations.

"It won't be his last game, but it will be emotional for sure," said Deans. "He gets emotional about all of them."

Mortlock was also relaxed about prospects of stepping into the five-eighth role. The makeshift inside centre is also the designated backup for Matt Giteau with Deans choosing just two backs for his bench.

"We'll be right," said Mortlock. "Today we had the Australian schoolboys in the changing-room. Back when I was their age I only played 10. I had a season of Colts at 10. It's been a while, but hopefully it's like riding a bike if I'm called on."

Mortlock said he had full confidence in his midfield partner Ryan Cross and was comfortable playing outside Giteau. Deans added that Mortlock's presence would be reassuring for both those players but shrugged off suggestions the beefy new midfield combo would look to exert its physical dominance over the ABs.

"If we come along and just crash-bash that won't be enough. This isn't a round-robin fixture where sometimes teams arrive not fully committed to the physical. Both teams will be fully committed to the physical aspects and there's going to have to be some subtlety in terms of when and how we attack."

Deans also denied his team would be fixated on blunting Richie McCaw's effectiveness. He said the threats from the All Blacks came right across the field.

"They're a dangerous team with ball they turn over, so everyone is going to have to play their part."

Mortlock assures us his team is ready to play its part. "We've got the opportunity to do something special tomorrow night. That's been our sole focus of this week."

Centre stage awaits them. If they're good enough, the special indeed awaits these Wallabies in a Tri-Nations finale that shapes as a classic.