Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neale Fong warns of stadium compensation action

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Neale Fong warns of stadium compensation action

Neale Fong warns of stadium compensation action

Joe Spagnolo, political reporter

September 27, 2008 05:00pm

STATE football boss Neale Fong has warned he will seek compensation if the new Government's sports stadium compromise leaves football out of pocket.
    The WA Football Commission could seek compensation of tens of millions of dollars if the Barnett Government goes ahead with a new stadium at Kitchener Park.

Dr Fong said the previous Labor government had promised to underwrite any losses the commission would incur by moving to a new stadium and he expected Premier Colin Barnett to stick to the deal.

At the moment, Mr Barnett is unsure whether to proceed with the proposed $1.1 billion outdoor stadium at Kitchener Park, Subiaco, or go for the cheaper option of refurbishing and increasing the capacity of the current stadium.

Dr Fong said that unless the WAFC was guaranteed that it could manage and run the new stadium, losses to the commission would be at least $11 million a year.

the rest of the article from the Sunday Times is here...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well at last we've had confirmation of what one of the inducements were. Anyone still think the Kitchener Park option is a good one for Rugby?

If I were running the show I'd be very tempted to say "Fine we won't build a new stadium if you're not happy. And while you're at it you can ask the AFL to divert some of the millions they've earmarked for Western Sydney, Gold Coast, buying Telstra Stadium and propping up the loss making Melbourne clubs and spend it on Subiaco. We'll just be getting on with providing a facility that will bring in sports tourism dollars for the international codes."

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    But Shasta, the difference is, you've got cojones.

vCash
    This is so sad - in a different time Fong would be hung drawn and quartered - this is blackmail - no wonder I hate all things AFL

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I just posted as a reply in the Sunday Times.

Heres how to solve this problem and save the State money. Give the $500 million to the WAFC to patch up Subiaco. Then give $500 million to the rectangular sports who can built their own proper stadium. There....problem solved and saved $100 million.

/.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 28-09-08 at 10:08.

vCash
    Is this legit, he seriously wants compensation What a ...........
    Footy gets everything this state could possibly offer; rugby, soccer and league get nada and even when they are offered and accept money the government still doesn't hand it over ie. $25 million promised when the ARU agreed to the inception of the Western Force...not a cent has been seen. The money was meant for upgrading MES, which would mean no rugby at Subi and the AFL could sit in their own stadium and do their own thing. This is infuriating!
    I Hate football, I will throw money at them, in the form of a gold bullion aimed right for their offices, not every cent has to be spent every time its available, sit on your funds for a while and let other sports develop.
    Could the government be anymore one-sided

Last edited by laura; 28-09-08 at 10:11.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I've got an idea for the Afl. As football is a "Religion" and sacred in their eyes, why don't they impose a tithe on all their tired old hacks in highly paid State Government sinecures, such as Neale Fong and Ron Alexander? They'd have enough money to pay for a stadium themselves in no time.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    But Shasta, the difference is, you've got cojones.
    and probably not as much money

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Gerry, I have an even better solution. Leave Subi as it is. Let the WAFL keep it and they can do as they wish. The WAFL /AFL can't lose any money if nothing changes.
    Saving of 1.1 billion

With all the extra cash floating around we could build a nice Rectangular Stadium for about 500 million.
    Saving of 600 million.
    Everyone is happy.

WAFL/AFL keep control of their dung heap with no change to their earnings.
    Rugby, Soccer and League get a proper home.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I urge you all to leave comments on the Sunday Times article.

The more we push the rectangular stadium issue in the faces of the politicians and journos the better.

vCash
    he should stick to their 99 year lease......only 84 years left

vCash
    I'm confused... they government had to agree to underwrite all their losses due to moving from Subi and losing rent money, now there's a chance they won't move so they want to be componsated for not getting THAT compensation???

And apparently WAFC management WAS very much on the cards, not that I really doubted it, but it's probably the first time I've seen it in print.

Edit: OK I've read it now, and that's not what Fongs on about, it's just old news. Any chance the Libs would consider telling him where to shove it???

Last edited by Swee_82; 28-09-08 at 12:16.

vCash
    What a knobend.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    And apparently WAFC management WAS very much on the cards, not that I really doubted it, but it's probably the first time I've seen it in print.
    Yeah it's been in print from the start. The L report stated that WAFC were offered management rights and turhned them down due to concerns over governance and compensation.......then Demetriou flies over, has his little secret meeting and everything was patched up (after the report had been published of course) so what was offered (my guess would be 11 million bucks a rear uderwritten into the management contract and 'prority tenancy' ie they make just as much money as they did in subi, if RugbyWA get a real stadium, the government pays the 6 million bucks in rent they get from that and they get to push the independent governors around however they want)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah it's been in print from the start. The L report stated that WAFC were offered management rights and turhned them down due to concerns over governance and compensation.......then Demetriou flies over, has his little secret meeting and everything was patched up (after the report had been published of course) so what was offered (my guess would be 11 million bucks a rear uderwritten into the management contract and 'prority tenancy' ie they make just as much money as they did in subi, if RugbyWA get a real stadium, the government pays the 6 million bucks in rent they get from that and they get to push the independent governors around however they want)
    So you are saying they are arses making tits of themselves

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast