Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Springboks logo set to be axed

vCash
    the anc are going to ask the fans and on the latest poll on the sarugby website it was 96% say dont change it and 4% were saying yes change it
    I DONT WANT IT CHANGED!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Doesn't that mean we get heaps more South Africans here in Oz - I'd vote for that - stupid move by the Government - it's up there with making an idiot out of De Villiers

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    i'm not a fan of saffer rugby but the Springbok emblem has 100 years of tradition and history behind it. Anyone who talks about saffer rugby the first thing that comes to my mind after "cheats" is "Springboks". I think Exile may be on the money, they may be trying to ditch some of the links to the apartied era. If your a rugby supporter you will probably always refer to the saffer national side as the Springboks. This is just stupid if you ask me, and again it comes from government interferance in Sport. Will said changes apply also to the saffer national football side refered to as the "Bafana Bafana"?? (not sure about that spelling)
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    As I understand it, the Springbok emblem has strong links to the apartheid era and the 'whites only' policies of the rugby team (among others). So perhaps the Springbok 'image' is doomed to be irrecovably linked to apartheid.

But if we're gonna get bogged down in symbolism, you know what I think is an even stronger symbol for the 'New' South Africa:

Maybe it's because my first real memories of South African sport are from the post-apartheid era (no rebel tours etc) but that to me sort of symbolises the hope at the time that things could work out and everyone could support the Springboks, black or white, rather than the race politics everything has desceded into these days.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't really understand the reason but can see why people wouldn't want it changed - would be the same if someone decided the Wallaby wasn't good enough and we should change to some other native fauna symbol!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Its really hard to see the need for a change - if the Springbok Jersey was good enough for Nelson Mandella (without doubt one of the coolest individuals of the 20th Century) surely its good enough for the rest of South Africa

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Maybe they should follow the AB's in reverse.

All white uniform, the ALL WHITES.

With the Protea flower of course as the emblem.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    as it is known as the rainbow nation,they should be called the rainbows

no,that wont work-all the colours of the rainbow mixed makes white

back to the drawing board

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    They could always let the designers of the Stade Francais jersey loose - they could do all sorts of things with "rainbow" as a theme. No-one would be able to tell if Watson barked on it either.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    They could always let the designers of the Stade Francais jersey loose - they could do all sorts of things with "rainbow" as a theme. No-one would be able to tell if Watson barked on it either.
    my thoughts exactly!
    now you cant call them bokkes what do you call them?
    pro..
    prot...
    prostates?

what a ridiculous thing to do im all for revamping emblems and gear but completly changing the team name and emblem is unnecissarily taking from rugby history and heritage
    young boys all over SA will have to start telling their dads they want to be a flower when they grow up

vCash
    i sent off some teasing emails and got in some trouble

they are NOT going down without a fight (no suprisies). petitions are flying everywhere and people are meeting with the board and the place is in chaos. so it seems...

they are all a little bit touchy about flower jokes at the moment... crazy saffas!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2