Poll: Having daylight saving in Western Australia is:

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Year 3

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Why is it that people can deal with companies overseas in the UK or Americas but not deal with Melbourne or Sydney without bitching over a 1 hour clock swap ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Why is it that people can deal with companies overseas in the UK or Americas but not deal with Melbourne or Sydney without bitching over a 1 hour clock swap ?
    Because fewer people have to deal with this?
    Becasue very few national companies maintain headquarters in WA?
    Because local suppliers or customers have a 12-hour wait imposed whenever someone wants to place an order after lunch here (cos by the time they're back, the eastern states are gone).

You tell me- why would the Chamber of Commerce and Industry bother hitching their wagon to the issue if there was no apparent business-related reason to do it? Are they short of entertainment?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Are they short of entertainment?
    Quite obviously they are in league with those people in the many towers on the eastern seaboard filled with people looking to inlict pain on WA

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Because fewer people have to deal with this?
    Becasue very few national companies maintain headquarters in WA?
    Because local suppliers or customers have a 12-hour wait imposed whenever someone wants to place an order after lunch here (cos by the time they're back, the eastern states are gone).

You tell me- why would the Chamber of Commerce and Industry bother hitching their wagon to the issue if there was no apparent business-related reason to do it? Are they short of entertainment?
    Leave DLS and W.A. out of the argument for a moment... Sydney and Melbourne seem to deal with Washington and London ok .. they're more than an hour apart!

vCash
    Not familiar with Australia's decision to go DST.. but I've never liked it here.. I especially hated it as a kid growing up on a farm.. More daylight = More work.. hoo-freakin'ray.. It still screws up my sleep twice a year... Bleh!!!

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Leave DLS and W.A. out of the argument for a moment... Sydney and Melbourne seem to deal with Washington and London ok .. they're more than an hour apart!
    Yes, but there's probably not as many transactions done on a daily basis between Sydney/Melbourne and NY/London are there are domestically between Perth and the eastern seaboard. Unfortunately there's no way to guarantee that anything you could possibly want to do with them will occur before lunchtime, and if it comes up after lunch, you're boned until the next day.

It's painful playing email tag with people on the other side of the world too, taking a day to get an answer on stuff, but there's not much to be done about it.

Maybe you don't think that the business reasons for moving the clocks outweigh your desire to be in bed by 7 and wake up at sparrow, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You get a vote- that's what it's there for.

Last edited by Swee_82; 29-01-09 at 15:20.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, but there's probably not as many transactions done on a daily basis between Sydney/Melbourne and NY/London are there are domestically between Perth and the eastern seaboard.
    Swee you are an intelligent person, I really find it hard to fathom you wrote that!!

You are right, we each get a vote and we'll each vote our way .. some people keep it secret, we don't

Don't get me wrong, I value your right to vote how you wish, I just really enjoy a good debate!! You aren't going to change my mind and I don't expect to change yours!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    Not familiar with Australia's decision to go DST.. but I've never liked it here.. I especially hated it as a kid growing up on a farm.. More daylight = More work.. hoo-freakin'ray.. It still screws up my sleep twice a year... Bleh!!!

there exactly the same amount of daylight with or without daylight saving

vCash
    but you start earlier.

i dont give a shit if there is more time for me to go to the beach or go for a run after finishing work at half past three.
    i still really cant do much, seeing as the shops still close between half past 5 and 6 pm.

i was all for DLS when we first began the trial, but we dont need it.
    we have enuough sun in the afternoons as it is to allow us to go to the beach, go for a run or read a book in the sun in our backyards.

who here can say that even finishing work at 5pm, they wouldnt have daylight enough to go to the beach on the way home in the middle of summer? whats stopping you from using the daylight that we have in standard time to take the dog for a walk? or do whatever it is you do after work/school?

and for those without aircon at home, who wants to be there when it is an hour earlier, when there is aircon at work. i know i sure as hell would rather be in the office at work than in a house without aircon, espically if there was no seabreeze on said day.

i'd rather the clocks go an hour the other way. so i can sleep when its actually dark. as opposed to being in the car driving to work. and yes i know i choose to work the times i do. but so does a huge proportion of western australia, as we have a SHITLOAD of people working in the construction industries. even the people in the office towers start early nowdays so their 8 hours co-inside with the eastern states 8 hours.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    rangas shouldnt be out in the sun anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    What has that got to do with DLS? Was the mean temperature out in the middle nowhere a comfortable 27 degrees or something before DLS?
    Surprisingly enough to some, there are very few desk jobs at The Junction, meaning most of the residents are "outside workers". The times they work, and finish work, can often mean they are finishing their daily toil pretty much just as the heat of the day is at its peak. So they have no (a) air conditioned vehicle or plant to gain respite in, and (b) option but to go home and wait for the cool (relatively speaking) to come when the sun finally dims beyond the horizon.

It is hardly ever a comfortable 27, except on its way to 30+, but the relatively later heat seems to be an issue for them.

They don't like DLS at The Junction. I don't think you "yes" voters will sway them.

In fact, from my travels (and I travel a lot around the state), nearly all rural dwellers don't care for DLS much. Except for one idiot Radiowest announcer, but he's my brother so I can hang shite on him for that reason alone.....

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Except for one idiot Radiowest announcer, but he's my brother so I can hang shite on him for that reason alone.....
    I am suprised that you admit to that.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Research has shown that there is actually more trade dollars tied up in north-south than east-west ties and, considering the cultural differences involved, I would think the business community would be more interested in keeping on side with the billion dollar deals with Tokyo, Beijing and Hong Kong (and even Dubai)than the thousand dollar deals with Sydney and Melbourne.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Research has shown that there is actually more trade dollars tied up in north-south than east-west ties and, considering the cultural differences involved, I would think the business community would be more interested in keeping on side with the billion dollar deals with Tokyo, Beijing and Hong Kong (and even Dubai)than the thousand dollar deals with Sydney and Melbourne.
    "Studies show that alot of studies are crap, Brian"

Actually, no, this isn't crap. Of course there's buttloads of money shifting between here and Asia. One shipment of iron-ore or LNG would put the annual returns of non-resource sector WA companies in the shade (least, before the ass fell out of commodity prices). These are long term contracts that don't require daily attention, or in all likelihood a quick response on anything when issues do arise. So while it's true, it's not really the point in this case.

I mean any business, across many sectors, that either has it's administration (payroll, accounts, HR etc) based in the East, who people need to transact with on a daily basis. Anyone who wants to sell something to or order anything from the other side of the country. Anyone who needs to deal with the Commonwealth government.

My point remains that the fact that this is not a sufficiently compelling reason you for to support the change, doesn't mean it's not a reason. And my question remains unanswered- why would the business lobby attach itself to the issue if it were a giant furphy? Surely they have better things to be doing at the moment.

Last edited by Swee_82; 30-01-09 at 07:28.

vCash
    why would the business lobby attach itself to the issue if it were a giant furphy? Surely they have better things to be doing at the moment.
    [ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp7Jv3mwbW4[/ame]

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast