Barbarians want Williams for Wembley match

Danny Weidler | October 19, 2008

Sonny Bill Williams up against the Wallabies - that's the tantalising match-up set take to place at Wembley in early December.

The former Bulldogs star, who left the NRL to play rugby in France, has fielded an offer from Barbarians coach Eddie Jones to play for his team against the Wallabies during their spring tour of Europe.

Williams received the invitation via a text message to his manager, Khoder Nasser, and while he needs permission from his club to play, the Toulon player is keen to take what would be a big step in his rugby development.

Jones was happy to confirm he wanted the former Kiwi league international - who has made no secret of his aspiration to play for the All Blacks - to represent the Barbarians on December 3.

"An agent is responsible for pulling together the players for the Barbarians game and the suggestion came to me to play Sonny in the side," said Jones, the ex-Wallabies coach.

"People know what I think of Sonny Bill. He is a star in the making and I think it would be great if he was involved with the side.

"Sonny hasn't had much of a chance to show just how good he is going to be because of injury, but from what I've seen the signs are there that he will be a big success."

The Barbarians are regarded as the United Nations of rugby. Players from all around the world are picked to play in a game that encourages adventurous rugby without the pressure of having to win.

Former NRL players Mat Rogers and Ryan Cross were introduced to big-time rugby when they played for the "Babas" in the same fixture and both went on to become fully fledged Wallabies.

It is expected that playing at Wembley would provide the same kick-start to Williams's career. Not only would it expose him to international rugby, it would also allow him to showcase his talent to clubs across Europe.

Williams's deal with Toulon runs for one year only.

Jones said the inclusion of Williams would provide the game with even broader appeal than normal.

"Sonny has that X-factor," Jones said. "People want to watch him play. I know everyone who watched the NRL will want to see the game. There would also be the odd Kiwi who may be curious to see how he goes."

Jones plans to play Williams in the position where he would have the biggest impact in rugby.

"I'd like to play him at inside centre," he said. "That's where I think he will make his mark in the early part of his career."

Williams, however, is still to accept the offer from Jones to play.

"Naturally Sonny is flattered and I'm sure he's going to want to play," Nasser said. "It will depend on Toulon releasing him to play the game."

Jones added: "That's an issue, but the game comes at a good time in their schedule. They have a European Cup game after that weekend and Toulon have only been fielding a second-string side in that competition, so it could work for the club."

Jones said his former Wallabies skipper George Gregan would also be invited to play. While Mark Gasnier has made an impression in French rugby, the former league international has not yet been invited to play in the game at Wembley.