Thread: O'Neill resists northern push

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Neill resists northern push

Wayne Smith | November 03, 2008

AUSTRALIA is gearing up this month to resist another attempt by the International Rugby Board to take the easy way out in establishing an integrated global season by persuading SANZAR to switch the Tri-Nations series to February.

The idea was first mooted at the post-World Cup brainstorming session in England last November but not treated especially seriously because a February time slot would schedule Test rugby before the Super 14 competition.

Certainly it would have suited the northern hemisphere heavyweights to have the Tri-Nations fall into line with the scheduling of the Six Nations championship, but it would seem to be unworkable for Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
    Undeterred by the lukewarm response from SANZAR, the IRB is understood to be planning to raise the idea at a little-publicised meeting of the 10 tier one nations - those involved in the Tri-Nations and Six Nations championships plus Argentina - in London on November 11.

It is certain to be discussed in tandem with the June and November Test windows which currently favour northern hemisphere nations which send sub-standard teams to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in the southern winter then host full-strength Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks teams in November.

"It's a window that doesn't work, at least not for us," said ARU chief executive John O'Neill, who has threatened more than once to retaliate by cancelling the June tour and demanding a cut of the gates whenever the Wallabies play in Britain or Europe.

O'Neill, meanwhile, would not indicate how big a cut of the Hong Kong Bledisloe Cup gate Australia would receive but insisted the three partners in Saturday's venture, Australia, NZ and Hong Kong, all had come away delighted with the outcome.

O'Neill spent Saturday morning in discussions with officials of the Japanese Rugby Union, which has expressed interest not only in staging a similar Bledisloe Test in 2010 but also in fielding a Tokyo-based team in an expanded Super rugby competition.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Here's an idea, move the Super 14 window to match the November Test window...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see how that achieves an international season, unless what they are saying is do away with both the 6N and 3N and all internationals get played in that window. If that is the case, I would almost like to see England play SA on the highveld, France play in Brisbane and the rest play in the various Islands in February. Reckon it would near kill them (be good for Dunedin though, as they would suddenly become a preferred venue).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like to me they need to sit down with a blank sheet of paper, a global temp chart and start from scratch. I mean really, it's stupid to be having S14 when it is too, especially in Perth and Brisbane.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Super 14 season is likely to be extending to a match against each province, then a home and away in each countries conference. Added to this is a top 6 team final series. The Super Rugby tournament would likely be a 15 team model. This would run for about 23 weeks with each team possibly having 2 bye weekends. If a Japanese team joined they would be on the road most of the year. (a bit tough)

A 23 week Super Rugby season would run from 7 February to 11 July or there about. Furthermore the extended season would offer a lucrative media deal which all the Clubs, players and supporters benefit. I like to see it happen.

But were does this leave the internationals? Are there to many internationals? How would a S15 season be scheduled? It could be possible in the S15 for a full tournament bye weekend or possibly two to be placed within the S15 season allowing a fortnight for each of the Internationals. This would also allow for S15 to rest and regroup.

If other (Say 3N) internationals are played during the scheduled S15 these S15 games should be played when teams are playing within their own conference to minimise any disadvantage. So if the Wallabies are playing all the Wallabies are out when say the Reds and the Tahs play their second match of the season. This would also encourage Coaches to build more depth in their squads. Many young talented up are siloed during the Super rugby and prevented from developing on the field. Getting these players game time will build genuine depth in Australian rugby.

The problem with the current internationals is with the Tri-Nations series, it takes 3 months for each team to play 6 matches. While I never don’t miss an international match, the Tri-Nations sucks the life out of the Southern Hemisphere Rugby for too long each year.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    With a Super15 format there would be a bye every week.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    What I mean is a bye week where all teams take are off to open up time for international matches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    If other (Say 3N) internationals are played during the scheduled S15 these S15 games should be played when teams are playing within their own conference to minimise any disadvantage.
    If/when the conference situation is introduced I'd hope the Australian franchises would introduce a "second fifteen" competition, including a final between the top 2, to be played as curtain raisers. I wouldn't mind paying a premium for those extra matches. It's not a new ARC but anything that gets development players game time is a bonus.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    the conference style comp is one of a few different ideas floating around at the moment, i think its actually a dam good idea.

All Australian sides would play each other twice and then the teams from RSA and NZ, with the top two teams from each country getting through to the finals.

That means we would get closer to 10 home games / year and the competition would be pushed out to a reasonable length, i imagine it would be attractive for the broadcasters and sponsors as well.

vCash
    I like the idea of a conference system in order to have more games against teams from the same countries.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    At lest its more rugby for the teams and supporters. Travel expenses are a big issue…

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Only downside JK is the matches against teams from the same countries tend to be of a grinding nature that only hardcore supporters enjoy and goldfish effect fans hate. May prove to be a negative commercially?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    its only really the aussie teams that go into grind mode in the local derby! the kiwis seem to have an unwritten rule that they dont tackle ad the south africans cant tackle, yet get two aussie teams together and its mostly defence and kicking!