Thread: Recent Ponting "Bashing"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Recent Ponting "Bashing"

Interested in the stats from an article in todays ROAR email.
    Premise of the story is that for some reason, in the public, past captains and media eye, Ponting can't win whichever way he turns.
    Anyway, may be a time for Punter to use that old saying to them (Steve Waugh excluded) "S C O R E...B O A R D!"

Test cricket’s most successful captains (minimum 25 matches in charge):

Steve Waugh (AUST) 1999-2004, 57 matches, 41 wins, 9 losses, 7 draws, winning 71.92%, losing 15.78%

Ricky Ponting (AUST) 2004-08, 48 matches, 33 wins, 6 losses, 9 draws, winning 68.75%, losing 12.50%

Mike Brearley (ENG) 1977-81, 31 matches, 18 wins, 4 losses, 9 draws, winning 58.06%, losing 12.90%

Bill Woodfull (AUST) 1930-34, 25 matches, 14 wins, 7 losses, 4 draws, winning 56%, losing 28%

Viv Richards (WI) 1980-91, 50 matches, 27 wins, 8 losses, 15 draws, winning 54%, losing 16%

Shaun Pollock (RSA) 2000-03, 26 matches, 14 wins, 5 losses, 7 draws, winning 53.8%, losing 19.23%

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I wonder how many of the test captains listed above won a test series in India - none I believe (could be wrong). Remember it took Australia something like 34 years to win a series in India when Gilly captained the side in 2004.

vCash
    never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I agree that Ponting lost the plot last week when the 4th test (and the series) was on the line by bowling the part timers, if he was facing a suspension he should have kept the strike bowlers on and kept the pressure on the curry munchers and dealt with the consequences later. Ultimately that cost us the test. Apart from that I am usually one of the first to spring to Pontings defence, I don't know why he gets bagged out so often. We lost a test series in a place where we have won once in 41 years. This will be all forgotten and Ponting will back in the good books when Australia gives the Proteas (or will they become the Springboks?) a towelling up. New Zealand wont even be a speed bump
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There would be nothing surer though Jargs that, if he had gone for the jugular in the match in India and it had backfired (or probably even if they won), there would be some peanut hack would have written an article about Ponting's disregard for over rates and the spirit of the game.
    I'm pretty confident he would have had the Sydney experience still in the back of his mind when he made the decision on wat course to take.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    oh I agree. Some people just seem to have the knifes out for punter regardless
    Posted via Mobile Device