Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies thump English - an eyewitness review

vCash

Wallabies thump English - an eyewitness review

There is only one test match I've been to that felt better than that, and it was the 1991 World Cup final. What a game. What a vindication.

In world sport there can't have been many who have carried the stigma that Al Baxter and the rest of the Aussie forward pack has carried for the past three plus years. We've all been guilty of heaping it on him and, and none more guilty than the Pommy press. This week it's been at fever pitch.

What a way to answer it. Front row shenanigans can be confusing, but watching the game first hand and listening to the ref by radio, it was very fucking clear what happened today. The Aussie scrum not only matched the self vaunted Pommie eight, it smashed it.

There were two tight head scrums today, both won by the men in gold. The second, in which Australia literally ran over England was right in front of me. It was the culmination of a number of scrums in which it became increasingly obvious that far from it being the Aussie pack hiding their inadequacies, it was the men in white who were fragile.

Within three packdowns Jonkers and his assistant refs had picked Vickery for tugging Robinsons bind and most importantly the whole England scrum for pulling back after the hit. So much for all the bitch tits whining from Stephen Jones et al about Australia's 'nepharious tactics'. Once England found they couldn't trick the ref into penalising the Wallabies as per popular wisdom, they had nothing. Literally.

In a bitterly ironic opposite to the 2005 game, both Vickery and Sheridan eventually left the field physically shattered, leaving Baxter and Robinson victorious and undefeated to the end.

As my old man said afterwards:

"We could have lost the game, I couldn't care. To see those two tight heads was all I wanted."

It wasn't just the scrum in which the Wallaby pack excelled. Restarts, line-outs and most of all defence were all met with a complete disregard of personal safety. The hits I heard through the ref-link were unbelievable. Chisholm, Sharpe and Palu (when he came on for a fantastic cameo), put in massive tackles phase after phase, without let up.

Twenty minutes to go and most of the players looked out on their feet, I'm not sure I've seen internationals so spent. Yet the big hits continued. They wanted this, more than I've seen a Wallaby team want another game since a semi-final in 2003.

Many aspects were far less than perfect. Most notably the tactical kicking. Save two, it was embarrassing.

But what gave me a smile almost as wide as the scrum's dominance, was the constant ticking over of the scoreboard from pommy penalties. How fitting it was to see the country that brought us the Woodward/Wilkinson penalty machine and the the most vociferous objections to the sanction ELVs hoisted on their own pitard (a.k.a f***ed with their own d**do). Giteau chip kicked us on throughout the match with a regularity that kept 80,000 poms quieter than I have ever heard them.

No, it didn't make for the most beautiful game. But hey, they're the rules the north wants to defend. And when in Rome......

But here's the thing that's most satisfying of this whole win. It was built on the grit of a forward platform that any side who want a shot at greatness must have. The frilly bits Australia can do, it's a few positional changes and a few passes going to hand. But the forward performance we saw today was one that could well enable greatness.

What a day

Read more...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    thanks for that G&G. I also enjoyed the second half demolishing of the English scrum. Particularly as our boys drove straight through their pack earning a penalty at about the 64th minute mark. Every gold jersey knew that the game was won in that moment, and I suspect that every man, woman and child in white knew that their game was lost.

vCash
    Sounds like you had a blast G&GR! Are you going to any other games?

Lmaag, was that when the boys ran around smacking each other on the back, having almost a little celebration team huddle? I have to agree. The poms walked off with their tails between their legs and I have to say that is one of the best moments in a rather long time. Go team, go!!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who was the crowd booing after the match G&G? Us or them?

vCash
    the english were booed at the end.................happpy days indeed, back to square 1 martin johnston.....

vCash
    Yeah, not sure about the booing. I think it was the poms for the ref - they didn't like us kicking all those penalties!

Here's a cameraphone picture that I thought you Forcefans might like!

Robyn - going to Wales and probably BaaBaas as well!

vCash
    good to see sharpie running over to get in the photo!.....

vCash
    LUCKY! Shout loudly for me when Drew runs on please hehe.

Hehe I like that picture G&GR! Very much. Hehe. I'm sitting here laughing

Last edited by robyn <3; 16-11-08 at 16:41. Reason: G&GR's pic loaded

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Bastard RFU not putting out enough public tickets...

vCash
    I particularly like your comments about the sanctions and petard hoisting there Gagger, I was thinking the same thing. I need to have a look at the match again, but I think the Pom's would have lead most of the match if we were playing proper ELV football, most of the penalties were for diving over and hands in the ruck (I think two were for offside, which would be the only ones still a penalty with sanctions in play.

I might be wrong...need to watch a replay!

Oh and Cliffy Palu's not-quite-late hit on Danny Cipriati on the 22..............Loved it!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Oh and Cliffy Palu's not-quite-late hit on Danny Cipriati on the 22..............Loved it!
    I want that as an Avatar!

vCash
    Was it just me or did anyone else think the whole penalty thing kills the momentum of the game?

One thing I do like about the ELV's is the game just keeps going. Tap kick, move along please.

vCash
    Thanks, Gaggers

Vision of Twickenham leaves me with a bad case of stadium-envy

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Was it just me or did anyone else think the whole penalty thing kills the momentum of the game?

One thing I do like about the ELV's is the game just keeps going. Tap kick, move along please.
    Tell that to blokes in charge in the NH
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    That's what John O'Neill should be saying now......it was boring, you lost with it, we kicked six penalties because of it and most of those would have been scrums because of the killing the ball in the ruck you guys were playing.......Don't you want to scrum against the Tellytubbies anymore?

Or words to that effect

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast