Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Bill Williams discussion

vCash

Sonny Bill Williams discussion

It’s just an interesting insight into people’s ways. It’s easy to misapprehend others with different heritage or just not look closer. The islander community is strong in a number of clubs and codes around the country. And is getting stronger. One of Sonny Bill Williams main issues was the disrespect he felt towards his people in his then code NRL, which in the light of day may have been a lack of understanding between the players, coaches and club administrators, or perhaps the lack of wanting to understand each other.

The Brumbies have always had a history of signing the outsiders and have had to do so to build a competitive team. It’s good to see genuine efforts made to connect with each player. And in doing so have picked up some great talent over the years.

I regards to current run of Internationals the Pacific Islanders are making a good go of it in the Northern Hemisphere this year. In a small way the Wallabies win on the weekend owes a little credit to the Islanders for softening up the English the week prior to our match.

I’m a bit of a fan of Islander rugby and I wish them all the best...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    One of Sonny Bill Williams main issues was the disrespect he felt towards his people in his then code NRL
    Since when has Sonny Bill Williams been able to criticise anyone regarding disrespect? Walking out on your team (unless you are coming off-contract) would have to be one of the shittiest things a sports star could do. Very disrespectful of your team mates. To make matters worse with the recent talk of sacking Umaga at Toulon (and fair enough too when so much money is pumped in for such poor results) they were threatening to go on strike. Respect for the coach maybe but where is the respect for the fans?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    James... there is more to the SBW story...He took his opportunity and paid for his own release...The Dogs weren't going anywhere in 2008 and have a background of being the most dishonest club in the NRL...

Good luck to him for getting out and away, this isn't your local club its professional, people do it all the time in all businesses…contracts are only worth while if good for both parties and both parties want to continue the relationship. There is always an out on a contract…it’s just at what cost…

SBW just grew up and realized he didn’t want to be associated with either the dogs or the NRL.

vCash
    please explain how there is more the money bill williams saga?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Good article, I think most of us are aware of everything it says but perhaps have never read it all in one place.
    An aspect from it is the eligibilty issues etc back to their heritage nation.
    Some will never play for the Wallabies but may decline offers to play for their heritage nation for fear of no longer being able to play S14.
    Perhaps there should/could be a clause allowing such players to play for their heritage nation in the World Cup without losing eligibility to play S14 &/or Wallabies/All Blacks until their first cap for that resident nation?
    i have always considered that a option, but then i look at the RLWC and see how much of a farce it is with players switching countries just for the RLWC so they actually get game time.

The pacific island sides had to wait for Australia to announce there squad so they could then choose there squad.

James... there is more to the SBW story...He took his opportunity and paid for his own release...The Dogs weren't going anywhere in 2008 and have a background of being the most dishonest club in the NRL...

Good luck to him for getting out and away, this isn't your local club its professional, people do it all the time in all businesses…contracts are only worth while if good for both parties and both parties want to continue the relationship. There is always an out on a contract…it’s just at what cost…

SBW just grew up and realized he didn’t want to be associated with either the dogs or the NRL.
    and please enlighten us on how SBW paid for his own release?
    From my memory, Toulon reached a financial settlement with the Dogs and not SBW.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I cant believe that Friend wouldn't have the people skills to know that these boys will never look you in the eyes when you talk to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I cant believe that Friend wouldn't have the people skills to know that these boys will never look you in the eyes when you talk to them.
    its not really a common thing amongs the polynesian boys though, especially some of the cocky rugby union players

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    wanna bet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    and please enlighten us on how SBW paid for his own release?
    From my memory, Toulon reached a financial settlement with the Dogs and not SBW.
    His mate Mundine helped him out. I believe not even Toulon wanted to pay out the Bulldogs. But i can see how SBW "grew up" by hiding behind a dozen security guards, Hiding in toilets so he couldnt be served with his court papers
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Travelling Jerry, do you know Chris Friend? or have you done some research? Or did you meet him once years ago and have formed a negative opinion of him? Because that’s an exceptionally cynical statement about the guy...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Travelling Jerry, do you know Chris Friend? or have you done some research? Or did you meet him once years ago and have formed a negative opinion of him? Because that’s an exceptionally cynical statement about the guy...
    Who is Chris Friend? Is he Andy's brother or something? What the hell does he have to do with the story?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    SBW paid 750K for his release which Mundine lent him about half...

A brief history on what happened. Willy Mason was clearly rewarded by the Dogs to befriend SBW, to get his confidence and to get him to sign the big 5 year deal. Mason argued with SBW to stay with the Dogs and be loyal to your mates and the team. SBW said he was flattered by Mason’s attention and had been with the Dogs since his mid teens as a signed junior; he knew nothing else he signed. Later Willy Mason then went and signed with Easts which left SBW feeling cheated and mislead. Willy had shown him it wasn’t about the team and mateship, it was about ones own professional career. It’s been implied that Mason likely used his assistance to sign SBW to get an early release from his own contract. Willy was clearly encouraged to befriend SBW to get his confidence and to get him to sign by the Dogs. The Dogs are the kings of the shadow deal and the hollow man; their back room deals are infamous and have a long history of do the deal at any cost. Canterbury Bankstown Local politics is petty similar.

At 20 years, SBW was talked into signing a 5 year fixed contract which was silly. He didn’t know his worth or what was going to be asked of him besides playing football. The Dogs attempted to trap the kid and thought they had. SBW ended up being the poster boy and PR boy for the NRL, channel 9 and the Dogs for no extra fee. Other players weren’t expected to do this at the NRL. Mark Gasnier had a third party deal with channel 9, SWB didn’t. He was beginning to wake up to the business which was being done around him and he then grasped he was not in the real cut.

So after a couple of years SBW just become conscious he'd signed a very poor deal and that he really wanted to achieve was to be a dual NZ international and play rugby union one day for the All Blacks. So he got started on that path. He soon got an good offer of interest from esteemed former international and now coach at Toulon Tana Umaga.

This proved to be a good opportunity to step out of the NRL. He skipped the country so the dogs and NRL couldn't put a legal injunction on him, stopping him from leaving or freezing his assets. So he got on the plane.

Furthermore he revealed he also had a big problem with how Islander players were being treated in the NRL. This came out earlier in the year during an in depth interview by Gus Gould. SBW stated he was disillusioned about NRL and didn't like how the Islander players were treated with disrespect by their clubs. SBW felt that they were “treated like cattle” and poorly paid for their services and not adequate remunerated when they were injured. He felt that the quiet trusting nature of the Islanders was taken advantage of.

He also stated that he felt that because of his now high public profile he should set an example and stand up to the NRL and its business partners to get a better deal for rugby league players.

The other factor lading to his impasse was the NRL salary cap. Its became widely known that NRL made special arrangements with Channel 9 and other third party sponsors for other players such as Mark Gasnier and Andrew Johns but wouldn’t let SBW get in on the act, nevertheless the NRL still wanted to use him as one of their main marketing tools, their poster boy… Now he didn’t believe the NRL business speak he could see straight through their business position and took up Tana Umaga’s offer to teach him to become a great rugby outside back and left for Toulon. SBW identified with Umaga’s NZ Samoan heritage and that he also came from rugby league to be a great rugby union international…

Once in France it became evident that SBW would post a legal challenge to the NRL salary cap. The NRL and CH9 didn't want to have their player salary cap system challenged in court because it was revealed that it may not be legal for an employer to fix the market. If SBW’s legal council won this argument he could have destroy the financial foundations of NRL salary cap system. This could have also put up the costs of NRL product for Channel 9 which wasn’t popular outcome. The Packers & CH9 don’t do their business in a public courtroom. One Day Cricket is a good example…

I hope this helps in understanding some of SBW actions. He has apologised to his team mates for the walkout but feels it was his only chance to start a fresh...I'm sure the Islander players think well done SBW for standing up for yourself and many others. The salary cap is still under question. So in the end SBW paid 750k for his contract and the Dogs jumped at the cash and shut up... And Gasnier who had an out clause in his contract left the NRL and singed with Stade de France. For SBW it wasn’t the most comfortable away to go about business but the Dogs, CH9 and NRL don’t deal in niceties and don’t take prisoners…just contractual hostages it would seem.

A bit of an essay...there is more, you can Google plenty of articles if you’re interested...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Who is Chris Friend? Is he Andy's brother or something? What the hell does he have to do with the story?
    To clarify for you James, this thread was originally part of another one, with all of yesterdays posts coming from between our two posts here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=19307
    Hope that helps the confusion

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What proof do you have that this is all accurate and not just the speculation of a feverish mind. I mean the Bulldogs could just as easily print "the facts" and make it sound as though SBW is the devil incarnate.

At the end of the day, he's walked out on a contract. In my books that's the lowest of the low, particularly in a climate where contracts aren't worth shit to a guy who's got money. SBW could've done the gutsy thing and sought an early release from his contract, doing it the right way (Legally if not morally) and paid a similar amount. I'm sure in the ensuing court batte all his grievances would play out and the final figure would take into account the 'facts' that Islander players are indentured servants in the NRL and the NRL salary system is 'price fixing' to ensure SBW pays a reasonable figure without being known world wide as a splitter.

Just my 2c, I don't really have a huge investment in this beyond the fact that it's something interesting to speculate about and there's not much rugby stuff happening right now!

C'mon the

vCash
    GIGS.. through Mason and SBW interviews and many articles over sometime...A lot was revealed in the Gould interview before SBW months before left...Surely your not surprized by this...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast