Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deans lets Burgess blunder pass

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Deans lets Burgess blunder pass

Deans lets Burgess blunder pass

November 25, 2008

An expensive error in Paris won't cost NSW halfback his Wallabies spot, writes Greg Growden in Cardiff.

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans has stressed his confidence in Test halfback Luke Burgess, believing he has all the makings of a standout international player.

Burgess's own confidence has been hit by some costly mistakes on the northern hemisphere tour - none more so than a wild pass into the in-goal during the Test in Paris on Saturday night, which put the Wallabies under enormous pressure. The French scored through a penalty try just a minute later.

While Burgess's high skill level and willingness to seize the initiative have won him an abundance of supporters, the Waratahs No.9 has sometimes been caught short when making snipes from the breakdown, while his service from the scrumbase has occasionally put five-eighth Matt Giteau under pressure.

The pass to Giteau at the Stade de France looped nearly a metre above the pivot's head, and it was as if Burgess was handing out presents to the crowd. On another day, the mistake might even have cost the Wallabies the Test, since the ensuing penalty try - from a Wallabies scrum collapse - put France back in the match at 10-7. Thankfully for Burgess, he and his teammates rallied in the second half to record their first win on French soil in eight years.

As the Wallabies left Paris amid a snowstorm for Cardiff and Saturday's international against Wales, Deans said he was not concerned by Burgess's blemishes. The coach argued that they were just part of the learning curve for the youngster in his first season of Test football. "We have total confidence and faith in him, and we will continue to have," he said.

The coach said Burgess could have easily been rattled by his error, "but it was important that he wasn't. It wasn't distracting him." When questioned about the number of times Burgess has been caught close to the scrumbase, or been hindered by running into teammates, Deans said: "He needs guidance from outside.
    "There's a lot going on. He's got a lot to deal with, and the greatest advantage is to have an idea in mind before you get your hands on the ball, because you don't get a lot of time and space.

"We've done a bit of work on that, and we will continue to. You will see him master that area. And I tell you what, when he does, he is going to pose some serious questions."

Burgess admitted there was no one to blame but himself for the wild pass. "There was a fair bit of pressure on that scrum, and I probably lacked composure," he said. "I dived out and I think [the ball] was too close to my body, and as I extended my arm … well - no excuses."

Burgess, like his coach, insisted he had not been affected by the lapse. "I let it go straight away, because it is selfish if you worry about your own mistakes. If you make a mistake, you have to move on."

Deans also emphasised that, for the third Test running, the Wallabies had succeeded in rebounding after losing the lead, which showed that the self-belief and self-confidence of the tour squad was improving.

"It's just a reality of international rugby that it never totally goes all your own way," Deans said. "There are things which happen which aren't under your control that you have to deal with, cope with and keep going.

"So we are pretty pleased with their improvement, and I'm seeing a lot more of the elements we are looking for. We have just got to keep adding to them."

Deans is expected to play several fringe players against Wales, with Ryan Cross among those scheduled to return after being a late withdrawal from the French Test as he was suffering from a stomach virus on the day of the game.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...491460679.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He stuffed up but if he gets reminded of it he will either start to start to doubt himself every time he makes a pass or he will never make the mistake the again.
    Either way I say don't give up on him. Berrick Barnes was thrown in the deep end last year and look at him now (the part about being a great player, not the injured part), keep at Burgess and he will grow into a magnificent player.

Champion
    vCash
    oh well
    he did hav a few dodgy passes
    having him on the field meens quicker ball
    he has an extrordinary work rate.
    his young
    he will learn from his mistakes

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    2009 will be good because it will open up the field to a few more possible candidates.
    Who knows but players like Josh Holmes and Josh Valentine might turn roll out in top form and hopefully both Will Genia and Ben Lucas will have matured and put in some good fight for a Wallabies position.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I thought Burgess was a Shoo-in for the jersey all the way to the WC, but after this tour, he's left the door open a crack.

That spells all sorts of good things for S14 next year, It means that all the Halfbacks will believe they're competing for a genuine spot and not just the bench.....Luke also has the pressure on, only two more matches to lock the spot down before next season.

Cordingly won't get the start in either match....there'd be no point, but if Luke doesn't start firing, he might start gettign dragged earlier and earlier in order to give more clean ball to Gits and work on the remainder of the backline.

Interesting times!

C'mon the

vCash
    I do like how Robbie Dean’s stands by his players even if things are not quite right...No use not supporting the guy he and Sam are the only ones on tour 2 matches out from the end of the year. Burgess will have tougher season next year to get the Wallabies 9 jersey. Personally I don't think he is a longer term solution just a possible...Burgess will need to look out for this guy Josh Holmes next year…

Photo of him at Eastwood Shute Shield…I believe the Force has his brother...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sheehan is there too, n'est pas - is he injured?

vCash
    sorry I forget about Brett Sheehan, I'm not sure about an injury or not. Not a fan...

vCash
    Don't think he's injured (seeings as though he hasn't played a game to get injured in) but I don't think he's quite up to scratch yet. The fact that Sunday's 'expert commentary' team of Ben Tune and Bill Woods forgot that he was there too kind of suggests he hasn't been a stand out lately (maybe he's just along for the ride like Lote has been lately).

Deans did say he'd stick by Burgess though....but then he also said he'd try and give every man in the squad a run so who knows. Team should be announced in a few hours and if Sheehan doesn't get a run this week I doubt he'd be selected for the Baa Baa's match.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Neither is Deans, it would appear. I think Burgess is lucky he'll still be there, but wouldn't say it is the wrong decision.

vCash
    Josh Holmes has
    the Pace, the Pass and the Pedigree…

Australian Schools (2004), Australian Under 19s (2006), Australian Under 21s (2006), Australia 'A' (2006-2007)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sadly, what it seemed he lacked last season was any idea. I'm hoping it was just first year nerves with the new team though, and that it is big things this year. Just every now and then he shows a glimmer of what he could be, and wow...

vCash
    Yep...Brumbies coach Fisher was anxious about running a new halfback and Flyhalf combo...So he ended up splitting the season with Phibbs who has a high work rate. So Josh never settled in. He played some good matches...Fisher should have backed him like deans is backing Burgess and he would have come on sooner. I’m expecting him to fire this year… Andy Friend wants a regular 9 starter so the competition is on...the kids got it he just needs to play more S14 games…

vCash
    Josh Holmes is Luke Holmes brother? WOW I never knew that. Is he thinking of heading west one of these fine days like his oh-so-wise brother Luke did?

I'm glad Robbie has faith in his players. I wouldn't want it any other way

But Burgess hasn't been too great since his return from injury. If we had other options like Holmes or Valentine I think Burgess would be looking a little nervous about the team selection being released in... 'bout an hour. I think Burgess will be absolutely fantastic, but he needs a little more time, and he was rushed into the international world very fast, and he has handled it very well.

Here's to a try against Wales to make up for the blunder last game

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    i don't think he is heading west but I'm sure he'd like to see his bro... They'll play each other i Canberra this year... along with the Smith brothers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast