Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wails! Wails! for the Wallabies versus Wales

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wails! Wails! for the Wallabies versus Wales

Wails! Wails! for the Wallabies versus Wales

In an interview last week Stirling Mortlock told journalists that the best way to defeat the rush defence of Wales was for him to smash through the first tackler and then for the Wallabies to re-cycle the ball quickly with the attack to take advantage of being behind the Welsh defence.

The theory sounded fine. But unfortunately after 2 minutes and 4 seconds of this absorbing and well-played (by Wales) Test there was Mortlock leaving the field with yet another head injury.

Without Mortlock’s smashing and barging runs and his two-shouldered defence in the middle of the field, the Wallabies were exposed. Wales, cleverly coached by Warren Gatland and highly-skillful especially with their running angles and off-loading, ran at the soft Wallaby middle. Two terrific ensemble tries were scored, and more threatened.

The opening sequence of play, in hindsight, revealed the pattern of the dire afternoon for the Wallabies and sheer pleasure for Wales.

The Wallabies kicked long. As with virtually every kick in the Test, there were no chasers. Wales banged the ball well into the Wallabies half. Why didn’t the Wallabies do what the All Blacks did and kick to the small Shane Williams and take him out of the game for the next phases?

Drew Mitchell knocked on the return kick. Phil Waugh won a turnover. But from the scrum, which was reset several times with the Wallabies having difficulty (which continued throughout the Test) holding Wales, which won a tap penalty.

The ball was moved across the back line. Mortlock, going for an interception, was injured.

The ball was then kicked into the Wales 22. Luke Burgess was somehow shunted off the ball. Wales regained. Then Wales kept on recycling the ball with phase after brilliant phase until Shane Williams (a worthy IRB Player of 2008) put Jamie Roberts through a hole about 40m out. A phase or so later with Stephen Jones firing a long clearing pass, Williams was over.

This tended to be the pattern of the Test. The Wallabies found it difficult to make breaks against a fast Wales defence. Matt Giteau’s kicking was poor. The chase was even poorer. And there was no menace to the Wallaby attacks.

The first Wallaby try came from a Welsh mistake from a lineout move that went wrong for Wales with everyone in the backline.

The second Wallaby try came right at the end of the game when instead of kicking the ball back and not chasing, Drew Mitchell scythed through. Now the Wallabies went through their phases and a try was an almost inevitable result. Why wasn’t this done earlier in the Test?

Unfortunately, only moments earlier Wales had gone into a 21 - 13 lead when Stephen Jones kicked a penalty following a very poor decision from the referee Alan Lewis (an Irishman, despite his name) who missed a Welsh player coming into a ruck blatantly from the side. When Ryan Cross (rightly) complained, the penalty was marched 10m forwards.

But let’s be fair and honest. Wales deserved to win 21-18. They played the more enterprising and effective rugby, on attack and defence. Right at the end when the Wallabies had one last chance to snatch the game out of the fire, they could not move the ball, despite a series of phases, more than 10m forward before conceding a turn-over.

With Mortlock off the field and with George Smith on the bench until the last 20 minutes or so, the Wallabies did not have a world class player on the field. This assertion includes Giteau who was outplayed by Stephen Jones in all facets of the game.

Wales in fact have a number of players of world class: Lee Byrne, an outstanding running fullback; Shane Williams; Stephen Jones; Gareth Cooper a long-passing and sturdily-built running halfback; Ryan Jones, the abrasive, hard-working flanker and captain; and Andy Powell, big, fast, skillful, tough, the best number 8 currently in world rugby.

This nucleus of world class players, if they are around in 2011, could give Wales a tremendous shot at a Rugby World Cup victory.

And the Wallabies? At the beginning of the season I wrote an article suggesting that the Wallabies had a great coach but the coach had ordinary players to work with. This assessment remains true at the end of the Test season. Two players who have really come on, though, are Stephen Moore, arguably the best hooker in the world right now, and certainly the best lineout thrower, and Peter Hynes, a winger who has done everything right for the Wallabies this year.

But a coach can only do so much. Throughout the year the Wallabies have refused to chase kicks, even kick-offs which were all too deep against Wales. The scrum came right for a while against England, and then slipped back a bit against France, and a bit more against Wales. Sooner or later, sooner presumably, Al Baxter has to be replaced with someone who can hold his side of the scrum up Test after Test.
    There has been little menace in the backs and no blinding new talent has emerged.

Luke Burgess, who was better with his passing on Saturday, has regressed from the splendid runner who ignited the Waratahs in the middle of the Super 14 season.

Still, the All Blacks were comprehensively defeated at Sydney, the Springboks thrashed in South Africa for the first time in 8 years (before the Springboks wrecked a terrible revenge), England was defeated at Twickenham and France at Paris. Moreover, the Wallabies were within 4 points of defeating an outstanding Wales side at Cardiff with the singing and the roaring for the home side.

To come so close to winning an Euro-Slam suggests that the Wallabies are within reach of becoming a very good side. Next year, perhaps.

If I were grading the Wallabies and the coaching staff, I’d give the coaches a B and the players a C+ for a season where there were some notable triumphs, but not enough of them.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/12/01...s-21/#comments

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiro Zavos View Post
    In an interview last week Stirling Mortlock told journalists that the best way to defeat the rush defence of Wales was for him to smash through the first tackler and then for the Wallabies to re-cycle the ball quickly with the attack to take advantage of being behind the Welsh defence.

The theory sounded fine. But unfortunately after 2 minutes and 4 seconds of this absorbing and well-played (by Wales) Test there was Mortlock leaving the field with yet another head injury.
    Have another look at the collision and its clear the Welsh player was not going for the ball.. he shouldve been carded for dangerous play!

This tended to be the pattern of the Test. The Wallabies found it difficult to make breaks against a fast Wales defence. Matt Giteau’s kicking was poor. The chase was even poorer. And there was no menace to the Wallaby attacks.
    This has been brought up before... do your research before saying crap like that, it is a known tactic... not one i approve of and when it doesnt work they don't seem to want to change to plan B .. if there is one that is.

Unfortunately, only moments earlier Wales had gone into a 21 - 13 lead when Stephen Jones kicked a penalty following a very poor decision from the referee Alan Lewis (an Irishman, despite his name) who missed a Welsh player coming into a ruck blatantly from the side. When Ryan Cross (rightly) complained, the penalty was marched 10m forwards.
    aaah you saw that did you? was beginning to think we were watching two different games.

Right at the end when the Wallabies had one last chance to snatch the game out of the fire, they could not move the ball, despite a series of phases, more than 10m forward before conceding a turn-over.
    Cause they had frikkin 16 players on the field!!! How can you do multi phase play with a ref like that??

With Mortlock off the field and with George Smith on the bench until the last 20 minutes or so, the Wallabies did not have a world class player on the field. This assertion includes Giteau who was outplayed by Stephen Jones in all facets of the game.
    When.. where??? what was Jones conversion percentage?

Wales in fact have a number of players of world class: Lee Byrne, an outstanding running fullback; Shane Williams; Stephen Jones; Gareth Cooper a long-passing and sturdily-built running halfback; Ryan Jones, the abrasive, hard-working flanker and captain; and Andy Powell, big, fast, skillful, tough, the best number 8 currently in world rugby.
    Bulls!@# only one player there deserves mention as being world class and thats Williams, lee Byrne ? give me a break Stephen jones showed nothing that would make him better than Giteau. Gareth Cooper mightve been better than Burgess but hes not world class.. think Ruan Pienaar, Fourie Du Preez, Cowan, Pichot, Jooste VD Westuisen, Gregan... can you honestly rank Cooper anywhere near any of these players.
    no ... didnt think so.

This nucleus of world class players, if they are around in 2011, could give Wales a tremendous shot at a Rugby World Cup victory.
    in your dreams!!!

Two players who have really come on, though, are Stephen Moore, arguably the best hooker in the world right now, and certainly the best lineout thrower, and Peter Hynes, a winger who has done everything right for the Wallabies this year.
    Hynes?????? puleeese!! he has been fortunate to be at the right place at the right time to go over for relatively soft tries, i think i can remember one try where he showed some great inside outside work that got him past two defenders but thats it. What about Brownie? he was awesome against New Zealand and South Africa.. what about Ryan Cross? Giteau has had his best year yet and he doesnt get a mention... the guy is being touted at the moment as being better than Carter (which is crap too) but you clearly dont rate him.

There has been little menace in the backs and no blinding new talent has emerged.
    No NEW talent has been on the field long enough to "emerge" you twat!

If I were grading the Wallabies and the coaching staff, I’d give the coaches a B and the players a C+ for a season where there were some notable triumphs, but not enough of them.
    you have in the last paragraph, mentioned three records broken but then go on to say the players are average??

i guess thats why they call these piles of crud "opinion pieces" thanks for posting anyway TG gave me an opportunity to vent a little...

vCash
    who wrote that?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Spiro

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Have another look at the collision and its clear the Welsh player was not going for the ball.. he shouldve been carded for dangerous play!
    I thought so too. It was an obvious tactic to deliberately take out Mortlock so that he couldn't score off the intercept. The player was even turning away from the ball and had is knee/leg raised.
    I would have thought it deserved a yellow card against the welsh player at least.

vCash
    oh and no mention of the welsh again deliberately slowing play down with all these 'fake' injuries.
    I know almost all teams do it these days but I still see it as a blight on the game.

vCash
    Yep but none of that will be written in the history books.

So every Wallaby game you have enjoyed as a victory was a clean, no bad decisions to the wallabies and fair decisions all round was it.

Come on this is a game of rugby not tiddlywinks between a group of schoolgirls.

You lost get over it.

Give Wales some credit for the win as well, they were the better team on the day.

vCash
    bit sensitive WRF

I'm not defending the Wallabies because they played crap rugby. But having the ref in the pocket of welsh didnt hurt the welsh chances
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    In our pocket? What the!!! The yellow card was fine but it wasn't consistant through the game and then it becomes a problem. Decisions will always go for and against your team, some of the Wallabies line out throws were pretty crooked.

Even with ten minutes to go the Fox sports commentators were coming up with all the excuses why the Wallabies lost and not why Wales won.

I knew they would beat the Wallabies at home otherwise I wouldn't have put 96,000 V dollars up for the win. They are a good team and Gatland and crew have done a great job with the same team that were embarrassed at the World Cup.

CYMRU AM BYTH

vCash
    I will watch a replay that I have on the IQ, i know he missed 2 or 3 forward passes in the first half, may not have led to points but it led to field position which in Union is important. Big differance between a clearing kick from our tryline to a kick from a scrum on halfway then kicking into the welsh corner.

What does that gibberish mean anyway? (really, me not being welsh I dont know what it means)

Enjoy it while it lasts WRF, im sure they will the usual embarrasment before too long

P.S Wales win grand sjam in 05, defeat Australia later that year, same again this year, coincidence??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    WRF the better team won on the day.....but even with your welsh glasses on, ryan jones was very lucky to stay on in the second half....the way everyone is talking up the welsh in the UK papers today you'd think they'd won the world cup, credit where credit is due but its only an autumn international, won by the narrowest of margins...

vCash
    I will enjoy it because I'm a Welsh supporter and I know what can and probably will be laying ahead.

Mrs WRF wasn't so excited at the early morning "I'm quite happy" tap on the shoulder.

I do agree that referees need to be consistant to have any credit and although the yellow card came out a tad early then Ryan Jones should have gone as well for his stepping over the ruck move to be fair.

Even fractured skulls weren't going to stop this win. How many games were played 20 I think with one Northern Hemisphere team picking up a win, probably explains the paper thing.

CYMRU AM BYTH = Wales Forever. Tattood in very large black letters on my back.

vCash
    what about the last penalty that won Wales the game? There were even gobsmacked welsh supporters at the Cas over that

Wales played out of their skins, and they did play well, But they only just scraped home
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    what about the last penalty that won Wales the game? There were even gobsmacked welsh supporters at the Cas over that

Wales played out of their skins, and they did play well, But they only just scraped home
    Posted via Mobile Device
    yeah what a joke that penalty was...

wallaby player tackled in the air whilst catching a kick, then a welsh player joins the ruck from the side, yet australia gets penalised for diving over the ball..

i mean seriously, that ref was a complete douche, how he didnt send off a Welsh player yet was more then happy to send off Moore for something which was barely even a penalty is pretty mindboggling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    I was just glad he got it over for a change, don't forget the two he missed. If he had got them over it would have been six more in our favour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast