Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force loosens John Mitchell's iron grip

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nice - no pre-game cheerleaders, but some lovely formation marching by the players...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    But I am not suprised Coach Mitchell has a high stress level - lets face it - when he first joined the Force - he had a full head of hair, now look at him.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Abit of mischief going on here. I would think that every so often an organisation reviews its leadership structure and how things can be done better.

John Mitchell did his bit at the start and now, 3 seasons on (and heading to the 4th), we've been able to establish structure and recruit personnel who identify with the Force, understand its culture, values and vision and who share a common desire to see the Force succeed for years to come. These would be a good source for fresh ideas, different angles of thought, etc..why wouldn't you want to explore this option. If this doesn't suit, another review further down the line will probably identify a different approach.

Also, in thinking of the future of the Force, there has to be some sort of succession plan in place (Mitchell will not be with us forever) and this new structure may be key to ensuring that as key personnel leave there are suitable applicants coming through the system who can step up and ensure continuity and stability.

Now, the headline would like to suggest to us that the decision to establish this new structure was made with Mitchell's reluctance but I find that hard to believe. At the end of the day (as the article has pointed out) he is still a vital cog in the Force wheel and I would think he would approve of some sort of consultative process being in place..but then again, I'm only speculating.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitch has to share power at Force
    Western Force players have been given a share of power alongside coach John Mitchell with the Super 14 franchise adopting a match committee for the new campaign.

Mitchell has been the centre of speculation about unhappiness in his camp.

The latest move by the Perth outfit looks to be one step towards creating a more open environment.

Western Force chief executive Greg Harris has brought in a system he used at AFL club the Sydney Swans where he was chairman of selectors.

Harris will chair the Force's match committee, which includes assistant coaches John Mulvihill and Tom Fearn and captain and vice-captain Nathan Sharpe and Matt Giteau as well as the team's strength and conditioning coach, Hayden Masters.

Harris hopes the new structure will take some pressure off Mitchell who has shoulder plenty of responsibilities over the last three years since being named as the expansion team's first coach.

Mitchell has developed the Force into a competitive outfit and one that is providing players to the Wallabies.

Talk of players' discontent - the futures of Giteau and fellow Wallaby Drew Mitchell remain clouded - has to be measured against behaviour issues that include halfback Matt Henjak losing his contract after a punching a team mate and players being involved in attacking quokkas.
    NZ Rugby Heaven slant on the same story...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would suggest that the vast majority of the Force's "culture, values and vision" IS John Mitchell. He is the one that has set the bar from the outset.
    Everyone goes for this touchy feely all inclusive pap, yet almost to a man the players have said they wanted to come to Perth to play under Mitchell first and other reasons quoted second.
    It would be a mistake in retrospect to make out that Mitch is just any other Coach and that any number of Coaches could have had the same effect.
    Just because the media has the attention span of a goldfish doesn't mean we should fall for it, Mitch has earnt and deserves our respect and support.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Western Force chief executive Greg Harris has brought in a system he used at AFL club the Sydney Swans where he was chairman of selectors."

So what's next, ten Captains...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Why am I not surprised that the NZ RH mob are from the same family as the Aus one?

I shall check and see if there is a rugbyheaven.fairfax.za .

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    This is the first full year with Greg Harris isn't it? So what's to say that he wouldn't have organised something like this anyway regardless of whether or not there had been any talk of discontent.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    john mitchell is a decent coach but saying the players are there because of him is a bit rich! the players are there to make money and get opportunities, as they are a every rugby team in the country!

any player who signs with any team use the "i wanted to come here cos i a) always wanted to play in (insert town) and b) i wanted to play under (insert coach)"

to think that mitchell had more effect on recruitment than money and game time is laughable!

and regardless every coach has a life span, not many coaches last, and even fewer last while producing winning teams. the only coach i can think of that meets both those requirements is alex ferguson for manchester united, and he turns over players quite alot. he treats hs team with the same loyalty and respect they treat him. if a player wants to go he 9/10 lets them.

3 years is a fair effort, he built a team, but if you build a house, do you see the faults in it or are you that caught up in your handy work that you gloss over them?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought I saw a fault but it turned out to be a scratch in my rose coloured glasses.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm inclined to agree WJ, at least for players on the fringes of the established S14 teams. But there would have been a number of players would have come to play under an ex-AB coach, particularly those that are younger and/or forwards. Those on academy or apprentice contracts would be unlikely to pick up sponsorship and they'd've been lucky to get any more out of the Force despite leaving family and all.

I see the sharing of responsibility as a positive - you look at most successful clubs and they tend to be those where the entire organisation has bought into a culture and ethos. I am a little less sure how it would impact on authority. Depends what the match committee is for, I guess.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe the committee just picks the pub after the match and Mitchell has been flicked because he has been picking duds?

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-12-08 at 16:15.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I think that this might end up being a positive thing or it could end up being the beginning of the end for John Mitchell with the Force.
    Some people as leaders (wether it be coach or captain) are still able to make everyone feel like their input is appreciated and respected, John Eales always comes to my mind as an outstanding leader who knew when to lead and when to back off.
    I think that John Mitchell might not be quite there as a leader capable of this right now. Last year was a very stressful one and when a person is very stressed it is hard to know when to back off. As a result the team underneath him feels like it is not being heard (which it probaly isn't). The stressed leader usually also comes across as angry.
    Taking some of the pressure off and reducing the amount of control may help reduce the stress level on the leader and allow everyone to once again feel like they are part of the team, alternaltively it can also make the leader feel more stressed and if the team is already disintergrating each individual can be trying to lead in a different direction, this can be the beginning of team self destruction.

If it sounds like I'm becoming the site amateur psych, its probaly because I am .

Burgs is right, us country people get lots of time to think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Harris
    ...while outside back Drew Mitchell is also believed to want to leave Perth.
    Couldn't squeeze anymore speculation out of the Gits story so they move on to Drew?

vCash
    I reckon this is no real issue at all, probably more of a jab at Matt Giteau, reminding the press that he's the Vice Captain, being groomed for captaincy and getting paid as much by the Force as any other franchise is allowed to pay him.

Anybody who thinks John Mitchell isn't a good enough leader of men to lead any "senior match committee" around by the balls si IMHO seriously underestimating the man. I don't think anybody gets to that level of coaching without being a good, natural leader and 'collaborative decision making' is a fantastic way of getting the noisy whingey ones in the organisation on board by letting them think they have had a say in the decision making process when all you've done is spent half an hour talking sense into them rather than 20 hours managing the shit if you make a unilateral decision.....been doing it for years now!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast