Thread: Berrick Barnes to be back for pre-season trial match

vCash

Berrick Barnes to be back for pre-season trial match

news article in the couriermail today, basically said Berrick will be back from injury for the trial match against the Western Farce at the start of February, although they might hold him back until Rd1 for the game against the Bulls.

Also, Phil Mooney is not sure who will be Captain in place of Horwill who is still expect to miss a couple of matches at the start of the season, a few candidates including Greg Holmes and Morgan Turinui.

I would try and find the article and post it, but im working on a laptop and those little touchpads make it to much work.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It might be a wise move to hold him back cause BamBam might break him

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    BamBam doesnt want to piss off his future club though.

i would rather they held him back, no point rushing him in to a match to early.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    BamBam doesnt want to piss off his future club though.

i would rather they held him back, no point rushing him in to a match to early.
    Yeah its a real shame with Berrick and Horwill. The Reds could have got off to a great start with those two fit and healthy. Give him a week or two just to be double certain. There is nothing worse than back to back injuries.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Boost for Queensland Reds as Barnes eyes early return to action
    By Dominic Burke
    December 18, 2008 QUEENSLAND ace Berrick Barnes is on track to time his return from injury for the Reds' final warm-up game ahead of the 2009 Super 14 season.

Positive feedback from the Reds' medical staff has coach Phil Mooney optimistic that Barnes will be ready to test his left knee in Queensland's February 5 trial against the Western Force.

"Berrick's rehab is going really well," Mooney said.

"At this stage the information is that he'll be right for probably our last trial and ready to go at the start of the season.

"He's certainly progressing well."

Barnes avoided surgery and a lengthy stint on the sidelines when he was cleared of serious damage to his posterior cruciate ligament, which he damaged 12 minutes into Australia's clash with Italy last month.

The injury forced him to miss the Australia spring tour wins over England, France and the Barbarians as well as the defeat against Wales, and Barnes will be itching to get back playing for the Reds.

But Mooney has no qualms about postponing the 22-year-old's comeback until Queensland's season-opening clash with the Bulls in Pretoria if he is not ready.

"If he plays the last trial, that would be good, but the priority is that he's right for fixture No.1 against the Bulls," Mooney said.

"Berrick's a good athlete so it wouldn't overly concern us (if he didn't play a trial).

"Digby Ioane didn't play a trial this year but he played very well in that first game. They keep themselves in pretty good nick."

The Reds will break for Christmas on Tuesday before returning on January 2 to ramp up preparations for the season.

The time off will allow Mooney to mull over one of the more interesting posers ahead of his second season as Queensland coach: Who will deputise for sidelined skipper James Horwill?

Lock Horwill, who assumed the captaincy from injured halfback Sam Cordingley late last season, will miss the start of the 2009 campaign with a foot injury but Mooney has yet to determine who will lead the team.

"There are a few guys there.

"Guys like Berrick, Greg Holmes and Sean Hardman are all candidates," Mooney said.

"I haven't made a decision on it yet."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah its a real shame with Berrick and Horwill. The Reds could have got off to a great start with those two fit and healthy. Give him a week or two just to be double certain. There is nothing worse than back to back injuries.
    yeah, just look at what kind of happy person tahu is

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Western Farce", going into our fourth season I'd have thought you may have found some new material TOCC

Watched the episode of Inside Rugby when Roe was replaced last week and then there was some opinion that it should have been Barnes not Cordingley then for a full changing of the gaurd generationally. By interesting to see if they stick with Horwill.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "Western Farce", going into our fourth season I'd have thought you may have found some new material TOCC

Watched the episode of Inside Rugby when Roe was replaced last week and then there was some opinion that it should have been Barnes not Cordingley then for a full changing of the gaurd generationally. By interesting to see if they stick with Horwill.
    hey, QLDer's and NSWelshman have being using the same jokes on each other for the last 100years.. They never get old

i am 99% certain, that as long as Horwill is fit he will be captain, he played so well last year and he really flourished under captaincy at the Reds..
    On top of that, there really is no other prime cadidate for the job

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    hey, QLDer's and NSWelshman have being using the same jokes on each other for the last 100years.. They never get old

i am 99% certain, that as long as Horwill is fit he will be captain, he played so well last year and he really flourished under captaincy at the Reds..
    On top of that, there really is no other prime cadidate for the job
    Yeah he is the best choice but Sean Hardman shouldn't be overlooked and neither should Turinui.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    IMHO Turinui should be overlooked because he shouldn't be an automatic selection.
    Likewise Hardman is facing generational change again, having seen off Moore, and couldn't be sure of selection week to week.
    I believe they need to be starting fresh (including Horwill in prospects as "fresh") rather than prolonging the agony.

Footage of tries against the Reds I have been watching over the last week often shows Turinui as the hole as he is too slow and that is now a season ago. I doubt he has got quicker. A "great Rugby brain" makes for a good Coach or (heaven forbid) Rugby Reporter, not a sole requirement for a good player. He would be my #22 every week in '09 if I was at the reins in Brisbane.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah he is the best choice but Sean Hardman shouldn't be overlooked and neither should Turinui.
    those two i probably would overlook.. Turinui purely because he has to many weaknesses to be able to lead by example.. imagine Turinui trying to lift the teams spirits after he just let a try through because he cant tackle and is to slow.

Hardman, got nothing against that guy, has had a long and pretty good career, problem is he is towards the end of his career, 2009 might be his last, Reds need a long term skipper.

after Horwill i woud go with Greg Holmes, Daniel Braid and then Berrick Barnes

vCash
    That's great news for the Reds. Barnes is such a valuable player, look at how he has made himself so vital to our wallabies backline. Wouldn't like to imagine the red's backline without him and his.. presence (that's the wrong word... guidance?) Well, from TOCC's point of view I wouldn't, but as a force fan that's ok

I haven't heard how Horwill is. Any news? He's also another great player the reds have.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    prior to the surgery they said rd4, they said they surger went well so they could expect him back sooner but probably not until rd2, since the Reds are in a tour of RSA the first couple of rounds they will probably just keep him in Aus to continue rehab though until the first game back at Suncorp Stadium though, it would seem the sensible thing to do

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unless you are Tuqiri...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.