Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force push for Members Equity Staduim - We Got Corners!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Blow for stadium as rugby set to quit Subi

20th December 2008, 10:30 WST

Western Force are set to move from Subiaco Oval to Members Equity Stadium in 2010 in a move that will almost certainly kill any last hope of the State Government spending $1.1 billion on a multipurpose arena at Kitchener Park.

The decision by the Super 14 rugby club will cost the WA Football Commission up to $1.9 million a year in lost rent. But the saving will be a financial lifeline for the Force, which has seen its membership slump.[/URL]
    Happy birthday, TG

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Western Force refuse to re-sign Subiaco Oval contract
    Nick Taylor
    December 20, 2008 12:09pm

THE Western Force will not play at Subiaco Oval after the 2009 Super 14 season.

The club will not be re-signing a new contract for a ground that is totally unsuitable for Super 14 rugby, is losing them members and money and costs between $1.5m-$1.9m a year depending on the number of home games.

The Force will move to Members Equity Stadium where the Town of Vincent has come up with a $70m (much cheaper than wasting $1.1billion for rebuilding Subi & rugby fans won't be in the same position up the creek, without a paddle, with a nose-bleed & a pair of binoculars) upgrade design for a 25,500-seater ground.

It would include a new stand, corporate facilities, lights, pitch upgrade and two big screens all aimed at getting fans closer to the action.

The plans will be revealed in the New Year.

A decision to move to Members Equity would delight Force fans who have been voting against Subiaco with their feet.

Force membership has fallen from 21,000 to 14,000 and the average crowd has dropped 5000 to 23,500 in the three years since they played their first game.

The decision was made at a Force board meeting this week.

RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke said: ``We have to move and we're going to move.

"We need something that better meets the needs of our members and supporters.

"Subiaco does not provide the entertainment experience....

the rest here....http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

Last edited by laura; 20-12-08 at 17:46.

Champion
    vCash
    So the Premier, Colin Barnett is expected to be at the pre - season game. Hope we can get a good crowd and convince him to put some money to an upgrade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I like to come west and see a game there one day…
    Please do Muddy. I'm sure I speak for all here in inviting you to TWF pre match drinks wherever that ends up being from 2010. I'll gladly buy you a pint. Despite some differing points of view in here, you'll find this mob a gregarious bunch in person.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think its time that we put out a call to arms.

The Pre-Season Match at MES is an opportunity to show the Nay-Sayers out there, and there are a lot of them is this Australian Football loving State.

That we can put a big crowd in at MES for a pre-season match.
    That we do love our rugby.
    and we do think it is better to watch Rugby at a rectangular stadium.

Lets invite everyone we know to this match, your friends, your family, hell invite your enemies - you dont have to sit with them. It is the perfect opportunity to show those people we know and love what a great game Rugby Union is.

Lets face it the tickets are cheap - and we are playing the best team in the competition. The Team we drew with in 2006 because the ground staff at Subi didnt want to put down 2 coats of paint for the sidelines.

Sit with the newbie's - help explain the laws of rugby too them - teach them when to boo and when not too. Explain the traditions. let them know about William Web Ellis - who got bored during a football match and picked up the ball and ran with it.

I have heard a whisper that this match is looking like it may get 10,000 people to it. And that is without any serious form of advertising.

Lets help out our team, Its our first chance for the 2009 season to show them what they mean to us - can you imagine how good the sea of Blue will look at Members Equity if we could fill it? Imagine the coverage we would get if we packed out our soon to be new home for a practice match.

Its time my friends - to Stand Up for the Western Force!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Your absolutely right Ex.

This is absolutely the best time to make a statement.

The government has just shelved an upgrade/rebuild plan for AFL. It means they have money and in the interests of creating jobs/helping the economy may well part with a measly 1/10th of that 1.1 billion if we can show them that it really would be money well spent.

If Vincent think they can get 25,500 for 70 mil lets see if we can't get 28,000 for 110 million!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    So it appears as though Mohammed has at last come to the mountain ........

This should have some impact pretty quickly.

The short term impact will be a boost to this season's membership when some of those who haven't renewed in the last couple of years work out that to get the best possible seats at MES in 2010 they need to be members this year. Some of course will think that it doesn't matter in a rectangualr stadium but read the details carefully when they are made public in January.

MES is as good as, if not better than, Subi for the supporting infrastructure (trains, pubs, restaurants etc) -

MES is a 15 minute walk from the centre of the Northbridge "entertainment area" - the same as Subi Oval is from the Subi hotel (or JB's) - so much the same.

MES is near the central railway station thereby providing direct access from North, South and East for those travelling by train to the match (which will probably be more than currently use the train service to Subi); Not a couple of stops on the Freo line which means that all those travelling by train from anywhere other than the Freo line have to get connections etc etc.

There is ample parking around Northbridge and between there and MES (although this may of course change by 2010), people just have to walk a bit , and the kick-off times mean that rugby followers won't be competing with the clubbers for spaces. There is also relatively easy access to the freeway heading both north and south.

Like some others, I've attended some large scale concerts at MES in recent years and can vouch for all of the above.

We just need to be patient in the first couple of years until the ground is properly re-developed.

Does anyone know any gAyFL guys in a spin at the moment ?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I was checking out google maps yesterday. The Claisebrook train station is about the same distance from MES as West Leederville is from Subi Oval. There are a couple hotels about the same or closer to MES as to Subi (no bowling clubs though ) and many more if you care to stretch your legs a bit. For the JB's/Bowlo die hards, you can jump on a train at West Leederville and get off at Claisebrook about 15 minutes later without having to change trains - the exercise will do you good

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Please do Muddy. I'm sure I speak for all here in inviting you to TWF pre match drinks wherever that ends up being from 2010. I'll gladly buy you a pint. Despite some differing points of view in here, you'll find this mob a gregarious bunch in person.

Shasta...Thanks hopefully one day I can take you up on that offer...

The MES looks like a great spot for a home ground. Those old sporting grounds are excellent and have plenty of character. Heritage grounds such as North Sydney and Manuka Oval are similar. I'm sure any future architect will respect the heritage when the ground is up graded and design an excellent space. I also like the fact that the Vincent council/community has invited the Force to be there. That's a really positive start. It sounds like a great outcome pity you not there 2009. Rugby will only get stronger in the West and Australian rugby needs a strong Force....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I was checking out google maps yesterday. The Claisebrook train station is about the same distance from MES as West Leederville is from Subi Oval.
    Tried that one before. Similar drawback to train stations around Subi. Not much further to walk to/from the central station (or Northbridge pubs/restaurants). The real test will be the number of extra trains running as specials for the rugby and the connections for travelling on to all points on all of the main lines. If there's enough of them then Claisbrook would certainly be an option.

But we're geting ahead of ourselves a bit ......... I was just trying to point out that getting to MES is at least as easy as getting to Subi for most people travelling to the match. Perhaps the guys travelling from JB's might want to try the train for the Crusaders match ???????????

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    nah...we have the Party bus organised...

and Happy is driving

vCash
    that is good news to come back to!... now let all the supporters who used the 'sub-standard subi' line for their non attendance at the games, come flooding back!...........

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    nah...we have the Party bus organised...

and Happy is driving

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I wonder if we should invite Russell Crowe to help with a 'donation' for some of the upgrade costs; the Rabbitohs are maybe looking to make Perth a second home- The membership brochure has a seating map of MES for WA Rabbitohs members, which is a new membership category; As for moving to MES, to quote Russell "That's progress" !!!

Happy daze ahead!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    this is great news...now all i have to do is catch a bus straight to the ground rather than a bus and train combo

coz Stone Cold says so

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast