Peter Playford returns to the Waratahs

Article Published: Monday 19 January 2009
Edited by: Rugbyweek.com

Peter Playford made his NSW debut nine years ago and has now returned to where his professional Rugby career began by signing on for the HSBC Waratahs’ 2009 Super 14 season.

With Ben Batger likely to miss the entire season following a shoulder reconstruction and new recruit Ratu Nasiganiyavi out for two months with a stress fracture in his foot, Playford’s signing provides further depth in the outside backs.

“With the injuries we’ve suffered out wide we were on the lookout to see if we could find someone to provide some more depth, and we believe we’ve found that with Peter,” said Head Coach Chris Hickey.

“Peter’s had two seasons of Super Rugby with the Brumbies and last year in particular he showed his ability to play well at this level.”

Playford represented Australian Schools out of St Joseph’s College before making his state debut for the Waratahs against Argentina in 2000.

After being selected for Australian Under-21s in 2001, he then spent a season of rugby league with the Roosters in 2002 before returning to Sydney University to continue his Rugby career.

In 2005 he scored a record 29 tries for the Students to earn selection on the Waratahs Development Tour of Europe and the Middle East.

The following year he scored six tries in eight matches for the Tasman Makos in New Zealand’s NPC, after which he signed a Super 14 contract with the Brumbies.

After earning eight caps in 2007, Playford featured in the Brumbies first nine matches of 2008 before injury ended his Super Rugby campaign. He returned later in the year to help Sydney University to its fourth straight premiership.

“This is a great opportunity I’ve been given and I’m really looking to repay Chris by making an impact right from the word go,” said Playford.

“I knew I had more to offer at this level in Australia but there just didn’t seem to be a place for me.

“I trained with the guys last week when the Wallabies returned and it’s a really strong group, a really great bunch of guys.

“I’ve had a pretty good indication I’ll be a part of the trial against Queensland on Saturday and I can’t wait to get up there and start putting my name forward over the next few weeks to be a part of that first Super 14 team in February.”

Gordon prop Ofa Fainga’anuku has also been brought into the HSBC Junior Waratahs program as further cover following injuries to Matt Dunning (Achilles) and Sekope Kepu (pectoral) which will keep both on the sidelines for extended periods.

Hickey will tomorrow announce a 28-man squad to take on the Reds at Gold Park, Toowoomba on Saturday 24 January in the Waratahs first trial of the season.

Peter Playford Fact file
Position: Wing
Physical: 187cm, 98kg
Born: 11.07.80, Sydney NSW
Club: Sydney University
Provincial Caps: 21 [NSW 4, ACT 17]
Provincial Points: 30 [NSW 2t, ACT 4t]
Provincial Debut: 2000 v Argentina [NSW]
Super 14 Caps: 17 [ACT 17]
Super 14 Points: 20 [ACT 4t]
Super 14 Debut: 2007 v Blues [ACT]

Super14.com