Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: $75m facelift planned for city stadium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    I got this of MES web site but I suppose it is old

Stage 1 of Members Equity Stadium's redevelopment was completed in 2004.

Members Equity Stadium has plans for a further 3 stages of development, accommodating up to 35,000 patrons. State of the art design and world-class corporate facilities will place the venue as Australia's benchmark for sporting and stadium events.
    MES in it's current form is Stage 1, Stage 2 is what the Town of Vincent was selling to the state government on Friday night I think

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    I hope they keep the shed area, its good to have a dedicated standing area......
    Posted via Mobile Device
    more like a dedicated drinking area

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    For what it’s worth there are a couple of things I just want to point and get off my chest:

1) How come Victoria get $275m to build a rectangular stadium and WA only $75m? Sums it all up really (after an unprecedented boom in WA over the past 5 years we still have nothing to show for it and Vic (who don't have a S14 team show us how to do it and make a decision and get on with it!))

2) I think the saddest thing for me was reading the review of the game in the West on Saturday. The article was buried no less than 7 pages (from memory) from the back page. Now I ask you - was there any other sporting event in WA on Friday that attracted a crowd even close to 18,000?! No - of course not... now I can understand that nationally speaking there was tennis and cricket played on Friday, but failing to prioritise a report on such a positive turn out for WA (and ground swell for rugby and ME stadium) was thoroughly disappointing. I guess my point is... you've got to question the priority of our media when they think it more important to report on a Dockers practice session and other less attended events over and above the game from Friday. Shame on you West Australian – another missed opportunity. Anyone else who is interested in writing to them to query their arrogant tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

vCash
    Victoria's stadium has BEEN built. I believe the Melbourne Storm are playing there this comming NRL season
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    your going to make me walk ALL that way.......

What the hell....you never drive to the rugby anyway....it interferes with your drinking! I'm parking in your spot, because I got the one out the back next to the dumpster!

Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    I hope they keep the shed area, its good to have a dedicated standing area......
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It'll never happen Slomo, standing area tickets can only be sold as General admission....they'll fill it with seats.

Quote Originally Posted by htbd View Post
    1) How come Victoria get $275m to build a rectangular stadium and WA only $75m? Sums it all up really (after an unprecedented boom in WA over the past 5 years we still have nothing to show for it and Vic (who don't have a S14 team show us how to do it and make a decision and get on with it!))
    Tat's one of We Need Corners' main points htbd, the Melbourne stadium was part of their original proposal and they didn't win the team.....the WA govt promised $25 Million to upgrade MES, Ron Alexander would tell you that's off the table because RugbyWA rejected it.......well we can't find any actual record of RugbyWA rejecting it, all they did was make a recommendation to the Major Stadia taskforce for what Rugby needs (a 35,000 seat new facility) at a time when the $25 Million was off the table because they were 'nivestigatong stadium options' Now I'm no high level political lobbyist, but that sounds like a snow job to me!

Quote Originally Posted by htbd View Post
    2) I think the saddest thing for me was reading the review of the game in the West on Saturday. The article was buried no less than 7 pages (from memory) from the back page. Now I ask you - was there any other sporting event in WA on Friday that attracted a crowd even close to 18,000?! No - of course not... now I can understand that nationally speaking there was tennis and cricket played on Friday, but failing to prioritise a report on such a positive turn out for WA (and ground swell for rugby and ME stadium) was thoroughly disappointing. I guess my point is... you've got to question the priority of our media when they think it more important to report on a Dockers practice session and other less attended events over and above the game from Friday. Shame on you West Australian – another missed opportunity. Anyone else who is interested in writing to them to query their arrogant tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    I'll be gentle with you because you're new. That concern has been floating around here forever....certainly ever since I joined. Ask Jargan about his conspiracy theory....To be perfectly honest Dave Hughes has been pissed off with rugby for a long time. I suspect my post about him 'blindly parroting the Labour party line' in response to one of his articles might have helped.....in short, to get a story in the West which wasn't "Giteu's signing with Reds/Brumbies/Tahs/France" or "Why oh why don't we have a multi purpose stadium" is a really good result for us! It must have cost RugbyWA a whole truckload of pies to get that out of him! I'd rather point to channel 7's story on the game, which lead the sport report and began with the line "This is rugby how it's meant to be played" The media have got on board with this better than ever!

Thanks for posting mate. Keep it up, don't panic about the reporters, they certainly read these pages and they know how we feel, so send them an open letter.....they probably won't read it, but everyone else will appreciate it....keep up the good work!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Victoria's stadium has BEEN built. I believe the Melbourne Storm are playing there this comming NRL season
    Posted via Mobile Device
    its still underconstruction

Proposed

U/C

vCash
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jargan83
    your going to make me walk ALL that way.......

What the hell....you never drive to the rugby anyway....it interferes with your drinking!
    I'm parking in your spot, because I got the one out the back next to the dumpster!

Nah Gigs it's the red carpet all the way for you mate.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah - I don;t need a parking space, the limo will drop me off

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    any pics of the proposed stage 2 of MES (as presented by all the media the other night)?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yeah - I don;t need a parking space, the limo will drop me off
    Yeah sorry about that Coach you did kinda get the boot from the original photo. Hey it's the VIP entrance for TWF members anyway.

Happy days if I had my way.

vCash
    The following is all I could find but I suppose it is out of date as well

Members Equity Stadium – Stage 2
    Members Equity Stadium (MES) was completed
    in 2004. This project converted Perth Oval to a
    rectangular stadium for 18,156 spectators and
    was considered appropriate for sports requiring a
    rectangular playing fi eld in the short to medium term.
    This proved to be the case.
    Stage 2 proposed to replace the semi-permanent
    eastern grandstand with a new grandstand
    incorporating corporate and function facilities and
    some minor upgrades to the western stand.
    Although preliminary design work was commissioned
    through the Town of Vincent, this project was put on
    hold pending the investigation by the Major Stadia
    Taskforce as to the rectangular stadium requirements.
    The investigation provided the government with
    a detailed picture of stadium development and
    governance options. MES remains the preferred
    rectangular venue, however there is not yet a business
    case to increase seating capacity as the new major
    stadium will accommodate rugby union.
    The State is working with the Town of Vincent to
    undertake functional improvements and maintenance
    to the stadium, with the State’s contribution being
    $400,000.
    I found it here: http://www.dsr.wa.gov.au/assets/file...jects_2008.pdf

vCash
    The artwork I've seen seems to be of the original stage 2, but the cost has blown out to 300% of the estimates I was hearing last year, so I'd suggest there are a number of changes to the proposal. I know there is a need for significant playing field improvements to cater for Super 14 rugby (Width and Length are an issue, so It's not like those can be ignored) along with the fact that Super 14 matches require video replay in the ground, a real scoreboard etc etc etc.......I suspect much of that is what soaks up the extra cash......and inflation of course!

BTW Thanks WRF, I'll probably be taking the train to the match too, so coach can have the red carpet.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    its still underconstruction
    my mistake

I had read somewhere that it was nearing completion some moths ago

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Ask Jargan about his conspiracy theory....
    It is a rather suspicious chain of events isn't it

vCash

Why is it that eastern states CAN and WA always CAN'T

Now I am not trying to bash WA here, believe me I have done enough of that since I moved here just over 3 years ago now. The strange thing is i used to say 'they' and now I say 'we', so assimilation has occurred!!

Just somethings don't add up for me, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that things usually go wrong this side of the country because of the people who are actually at the top and making the decisions (well sometimes, if they don't have the balls there is a referendum!!!).

Now it is my understanding that the previous labor government in WA proposed a brand new 'white elephant' stadium at the estimated cost of say $1 billion right? Now it seems that Melbourne and the Victorian government are building from scratch a new rectangular stadium, which at lat I checked is costing about $270 million. Now include the upgraded to the northern stand of the MCG (which would be about what a third of the seating in Subiaco right?) which cost about $480 million I believe, you get a total of about $750 million they (I assume the Vic government didn't fork out all this money) would have spent on stadias in the last 5 years.

So now that it seems the new WA liberal government is going to can the kitchener stadium (oh that is so nice to believe), probably because of cost blow outs and the GFC (global financial crisis), maybe there will be some money to spend on upgrades to stadia. I would assume there would be money since we have been in a boom for the last 5 years and have seen nothing for it!!!!

Now I know there are more important infrastructure like hospitals and schools that should come first. These projects though should not be included in this discussion because they should have been budgeted in separate areas of the government, well I would assume thats what they do?

So when it comes down to it upgrading MES for $75-$100 million is like a steal! Damn they could still spend the $1 billion if they like and upgrade MES, WACA and I suppose Subiaco!! This has been my argument all along. What is the point of building new infrastructure, when you can easily upgrade what is already there! Now yes obviously there would be diminished capacities during upgrading but damn I would think it would be worth it in the long run! The money that could be saved by just upgrading makes more sense, right?

I really do hope this state does wake up and grow up, stop wasting money on bloody ferris wheels (it has been done!!!), and give the people (18000 at MES is a good number to start with) what they want. CORNERS, WE WANT CORNERS!!!!!!

Thank you for reading my rant!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    I haven't read the article yet, but it had me at the title. Thank goodness we have another step forward!!
    Now for the planned to become built.

Champion
    vCash
    I dont belive anything this govt says when the construction team arrive then I will get excited. You dont hear much from the soccer team aye I guess they want the EWF to build the thing........ some pollys should sign up here and see what's going on...
    Question: If they say yes to the upgrading the MES does that mean we have to stay at Subi another few years. I am happy for them to construct the stadium around me give me a plank rather than a seat in Subi

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast