Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ben Castle the goods.......opinion from the Waikato

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It's a bit hard to tell if there is anyone better.

They keep trotting out the same old hacks each game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    That's inspiring
    well none of us are the 4th best in the world at our jobs so he has us all beaten there.

Rookie
    vCash

and thus you have given the reason why its not a good idea for us to sign castle thankyou flamethrower. genius

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1 half decent match in the last X years and suddenly he is a superhero
    He is a gump that has held back the development of others for far too long.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    like who burgs?

has he not been scrummaging well in the s14 for the past 3 years.
    last year they took tight heads off the crusaders

vCash

i think the reason they keepo "trotting out the same old hacks eash game" is becasue when baxter lines up against i dont know lets go with the force, he is the best tighthead on the park!

to oust an "old hack" you have to perform better than them not just be given a chance!

vCash
    You have to face NSW have had the best scrum in Australia the past few years based on Baxter and Dunning, QLD probably had the second best and they were beaten quite comprehensively in there last match against NSW, Brumbies and Force probably sit at a similar level.

To say that no other players have been given chances is pretty off the mark as well, in the last few years, the props i can think of off the top of my head are: Shepherdson, Henderson, Blake, Holmes, Alexander, Kepu, Robinson.

All have been touted as the saviour, and all fall down at the next possible chance. Holmes i still think is quite good, as well as Robinson. Shepherdson and Henderson need to pick up there game, Alexander and Kepu need to prove more at Super14 level.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    well none of us are the 4th best in the world at our jobs so he has us all beaten there.
    Speak for yourself ...

Bring on Castle - Australian Super14 is a different beast to that NH game - he'll be right Maybe he'll be a starter, perhaps all our existing front row need is some 'ard opposition on the training field to get their form in...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Castle links with Western Force

Under-pressure Western Force coach John Mitchell has signed former Junior All Black prop Ben Castle for the 2009 Super 14.

Castle has flown into Perth, having gained a rapid release from his contract with the besieged Toulon club in France.

Castle, 29, played 42 Super Rugby matches for the Chiefs before heading off-shore in 2008.

The front-rower has linked with the Force under the Australian Rugby Union's foreign marquee player rule.

It is the same rule which has seen Daniel Braid join the Reds.

"He's an old-school type of prop who is a good fit for our squad," Mitchell said.

"He will add experience and depth to our ranks, alongside fellow tightheads AJ Whalley, Troy Takiari and Kieran Longbottom.

"He's renowned as a strong scrummager and will have benefited from his season in France."

Castle represented the Junior All Blacks against Australia A at the Sydney Football Stadium in 2005.

Mitch Hardy, the Western Force's general manager of rugby added: "Ben brings a wealth of Super 14 experience and he is a well respected New Zealand provincial player at Bay of Plenty and the Chiefs.

"He will add immediate value to our playing ranks and will also have a significant role in the development of our young props.

"We made no secret of the fact that we were looking for an experienced tighthead over the off-season, and when Ben approached us with an interest in coming to Western Australia we were quick to act."

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com:80/news/article/-/5293335

vCash
    I think the NH concentrate on their props a bit more, probably a wet weather thing more than anything. Nicer weather in Aus allows for a more passing running backs style of rugby with less scrums due to handling errors.

Wallabies spend to much time working out which ex rugby league back will be the next superstar convert. League don't seem to have the prop type players to convert due to it being a faster passing style game. Yeah I know there are some big roosters playing it but I think they'd be more the breakaway, number 8 style big men.

And Gayfl well hardly think you could get a waterboy from their stocks.

Rookie
    vCash
    well i think it is a short term gain for a long term loss .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    and thus you have given the reason why its not a good idea for us to sign castle thankyou flamethrower. genius
    How so Dave???

You haven't proven anything by having a go at me for my opinion.

How can sighing an experienced Prop who has been working in the NH where scrums are the game be a bad thing for the development of our stocks here??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    depends on how much the existing props learn fom him, only time will tell. Alot depends on how well Castle passes on his knowledge.

vCash
    Until I get my Time Machine running we'll have to wait 4 months to find out.

Posted via space

Rookie
    vCash
    How so Dave???

You haven't proven anything by having a go at me for my opinion.

How can sighing an experienced Prop who has been working in the NH where scrums are the game be a bad thing for the development of our stocks here??
    because the only real way to learn for a young player is time on the field.

what did having noriega or omar hassan in australian rugby do to bring through young players. it stopped young guys learning by playing.

look at the english football side , there premiership is almost entirely foreign and the more foreigners play in english rugby the worse their national side play.

it would be far smarter to bring over an english coach like woodman. besides mitchell was england forwards coach should he not have enough expertise for our young blokes.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast