Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do we have a siege mentality?

Rookie
    vCash
    but it isnt the criticism the same guys heap at the tahs or the reds , of the same nature that is my point , i dont think they have any issue with the force or perth i think they are just doing the same terrible job the same everywhere.

local journos will always be kinder because they have to deal with the closest organisation the most. i certainly dont think there is an anti force or anti w.a sentiment.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Firstly, i have discussed this "Eastern State" bias crap before, and have shown this not to be true, there is rarely a article even about the Force in the QLD newspapers let along a slandering article, and from what i remember when i lived in Canberra and have seen on the website, there is rarely a article on EWF either.

Still today, WA ranks probably a tied second/third with ACT in terms of interstate rivalries from a QLD perspective. Its funny that the only people who have really stirred up this 'rivalry' were a non-qlder in Eddie Jones and a ex-qlder in Drew Mitchell.

Yes there are a abnormally large amount of article done on the John Mitchell coach issue, but none moreso then when Eddie Jones was in charge of the Reds and about to leave, the major difference been that the JM issue has dragged out.

I understand how WA person would feel victimised reading the articles, thinking there was a 'siged mentality'. But i mean really, there has been a lot of stuff happen at the Force that cant be ignored. I dont need to list them again, but they would be a high interest media items on any team.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Joondalup Dave, I think you need to bear in mind when reading from the pages of TWF that this is a Western Force 'supporters' site - it's our job to be one-eyed critics of all that is not the team we follow, or at least that is the type of person I am trying to attract to TWF.

This isn't parochialism - it's tribalism surrounding a rugby team. All comments on TWF need to be read in the context of them being posted on a Western Force rugby supporters site.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am WA born and bred and lived in Perth and Geraldton until the age of 20, when I joined the Air Force.

I believe the West Australians (myself included) have either a supierority complex or inferiority complex - depending on the angle you look at it.

West Australians love nothing more then telling themselves how much they "support" the rest of the country, and beating the East in whatever field of sporting endevour we can - any WA based team in a National Comp has had at one time a period of popularity that was above and beyond the normal competitions fan base. You only need to look at the popularity of the Wildcats or the Perth Heat in the 90's for an example.

Back in the 80's it was the State of Origin Aussie Rules Matches that were played mid-week that packed out Subi, and I am sure that the ratings for the ABC TV coverage with George Gurillashitz were through the roof.

But when one of the WA based teams receives some bad press West Australians first reaction is shock, then outrage and then they go immediately into defensive mode.

Yup - I think a seige mentality covers it beautifully.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To a large degree, outside of Rugby, Queensland is an "outer state" TOCC.
    The crap we cop here originates from NSW and Vic.
    It is a reason that most born and bred Western Australians have an empathy with most born and bred Queenslanders.
    Those in WA who bag Qld generally are from NSW or Vic in the first place.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just because it may have a wanky title doesn't mean it doesn't have a foundation for existence or fuel for perpetuation though Ex.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    One of the best ways to demonstrate all of this is to look at how fierce and passionate the interstate rivalries are. I think that we get more worked up about the Force vs the Tah's then we do about Wallabies vs England.

When we say the East we really mean NSW & Victoria.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know that siege mentality is quite right, but would certainly go a deepseated underlying sibling resentment and dearly held parochialism. But even if it was siege mentality, so what? Isn't that so much of the imagery in sport, with grounds being fortresses and the like?

And on that, if you were looking for an iconic and instantly recognisable stadium, how about Mudskipper's picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    A bit Crusaderish perhaps, but I like the image of corporates watching from their ivory towers, a sin bin in the keep, and the blue crew in jesters outfits.

vCash
    Siege mentality? No. Village mentality? Yes! Due, in no small way, to the extreme isolation. With such isolation it's no wonder an 'us and them' attitude develops.

vCash
    Melbourne has the same issue...

vCash
    Melbourne?
    I hardly think so, i dislike Melbourne nearly as much as i dislike Canberra but, there is no questioning Melbuornes status as Australia top sporting city, they really have nothing to prove to no one in that respect.

Melbourne does have a 'tall-poppy' syndrome, constantly trying to prove themselves above Sydney as Australias best city, and in turn also trying to prove how much better it is then other Australian cities by putting them down.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Melbourne?
    I hardly think so, i dislike Melbourne nearly as much as i dislike Canberra but, there is no questioning Melbuornes status as Australia top sporting city, they really have nothing to prove to no one in that respect.

Melbourne does have a 'tall-poppy' syndrome, constantly trying to prove themselves above Sydney as Australias best city, and in turn also trying to prove how much better it is then other Australian cities by putting them down.
    In a way your answer sums up my entire point of view. Each of the two largest Australian cities constantly compete to be seen as "the Best". I could give some historical reasons for this, but I fear that I'm the only one who's interested. Within the level of rivalry between these two any impact of their competitive relationship on the rest of Australia is overlooked and seen as irrelevant since they are seen as such an unimportant minority. When making contact with the other states they mange to always be derogatory since their cities & lives are obviously not as good - their city is "the Best". The whole issue reflects a level of insecurity.
    To quote Shirley Manson "We're living in a world where goods not good enough".

Last edited by Cowboy; 02-02-09 at 20:09.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The best view of any city is the one you get when you're leaving.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    As most of you know I was born in Sydney. I lived here from 1989 to 1993, Sydney from 1993 till 1996 and have been here since (with an 18 month stint in Port Hedland). So I have lived for a fair chunk of my life here and I have to say that alot of people are precious about Perth and the state of Western Australia, anything bad gets said about this town and it almost starts a civil war.

Yes WA has a siege mentality. Something bad gets said and you lot go out of your way to justify it, if you need to justify something then something is wrong already

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    So you have lived a fair chunk of your life here and yet still see yourself as an outsider. Why is that? No I'm not having a dig or even attempting to pull the piss.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast