Thread: David Pocock impresses for Force in final hit-out before season opener

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

David Pocock impresses for Force in final hit-out before season opener

David Pocock impresses for Force in final hit-out before season opener

By Jim Morton
    February 06, 2009 WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell believes Australian tyro David Pocock has added the last pieces to the puzzle to become the complete package as an open-side flanker.
    Although still only 20, Mitchell rated Pocock on the verge of being “world-class'' after a stand-out individual performance in the Force's final Super 14 trial loss to Queensland on Thursday night.
    The Zimbabwe-born Brisbane product showed the Reds what they were missing with a hat-trick in the first 42 minutes of the Ballymore hit-out.

His link work and support play were superb as the Force jumped out to a 19-0 lead before Wallabies winger Digby Ioane inspired a Queensland comeback with a hat-trick of his own.

The three tries were testimony to Pocock's attacking development following a breakthrough Wallabies tour, which included two Tests and a debut against the All Blacks.

His emergence has put immense pressure on Phil Waugh's international future and he's set for a head-to-head battle with George Smith for the ball scavenging role at the 2011 World Cup.

Mitchell lavished praise on Pocock after the 22-19 loss with two of his tries coming courtesy of good support play and the other from a tackle-shedding 15m run.

“I thought the performance of David Pocock was quite outstanding,'' Mitchell said.

“He's certainly heading into the right direction of becoming world class.

“They were super team tries but he's adding parts to his game now.

“We always knew he was influential in the breakdown contest but his ability to influence the advantage line has grown enormously, both on the ball and with width.''

Pocock played down his try-scoring feats, crediting the lead-up work before being in the “right place at the right time''.

“It's definitely something I've been working on at training, your support line and that sort of thing but it was great lead-up work by the forwards,'' he said.

“The Wallabies tour was an awesome experience and it was great to get that experience touring with them and getting a few games.''

Mitchell was well pleased by most aspects of the Force's first 50 minutes before he substituted big guns Pocock, Matt Giteau and Nathan Sharpe.

He was also highly impressed by rookie half-back Justin Turner who could make a surprise round one Super 14 start against the Blues in Perth with Josh Valentine and Chris O'Young struggling with hamstring problems.

Toulon signing Ben Castle struggled in his first game for the Force Academy but Mitchell said the former Chiefs prop remained in the mix to play the Blues

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    GO ZIMBO!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think there is a very real chance of Bam removing Smith by the end of this next Test season.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think there is a very real chance of Bam removing Smith by the end of this next Test season.
    well he's in with a chance... A big year a head for the kid... test caps experience counts for a lot at international level...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    True, that is why Waugh had another Spring Tour and he has now seen him off.
    Put it this way, he is the only player I watch playing in any Australian team and think, "Wow, that was special" virtually every time he plays.
    And the TV doesn't do him justice, he is seriously strong and BIG!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He is a stand out player and its fantastic we have new talent like this kid already reaching an international standard... The RWC Wallabies will be strong a Pocock will be a part of that... Smiths a bit of a freak...He never gets injured players every S14 and every international year after year...

At 28 he just gets smarter on the field. And often does the work load of two players...Who knows how long he can keep going but if he continues this unusual injury free career who knows. i think he will make the RWC squad but so will Pocock. The Wallabies will need good loosies to ensure those new Zealanders the don't get their mitts on Bill....

George Smith has spent almost a decade as Australia’s top openside flanker and has claimed almost every rugby accolade available to him. The 28-year-old continued his amazing run in 2008, playing in each of the CA Brumbies’ 13 matches and claiming the Brett Robinson Award for CA Brumbies Players Player for a seventh (and sixth consecutive) occasion, his third consecutive Australian Investec Super 14 Player of the Year, his second consecutive Rugby Union Players Association Player of the Year and his second John Eales Medal. Still the world’s best at the breakdown and an accomplished ball player, Smith was again a standout in 2008, captaining the CA Brumbies in seven matches. Following the culmination of the 2008 Investec Super 14 season, Smith returned to the side of the Wallabies scrum for all but one Test during 2008. His constant selection led to him becoming the most capped flanker of all time – eclipsing Frenchman Oliver Magne (89 caps) – before claiming the mantle of the most-capped Wallaby forward – an accolade previously held by John Eales (86 caps). Smith’s consistency is matched only by his durability with the robust flanker having only missed one match since making his starting debut for the CA Brumbies in 2000.

George Smith has missed 1 Brumbies match in 8 seasons. He is a rugby abnormality a freak...

vCash
    i think smith will be the automatic choice for the tri-nations 09, but will he be able to hold his starting spot in 2010 & 2011 as we count down to the RWC in NZ?......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    i think smith will be the automatic choice for the tri-nations 09, but will he be able to hold his starting spot in 2010 & 2011 as we count down to the RWC in NZ?......
    I think that how their S14 clubs do will likely answer that question... Its hard to look good when your team is not doing so well... its Difficult to shine... however when your team's dominate & is getting good results you look better and have more time to do what you're best at on the field...

Both players will need to continue to grow. At 28 with Smith's physical history he could play with the Wallabies until 2011... Smith wont be there forever it just might seem like for young Pocock… like everyone else he’ll give it up one day…

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I think that how their S14 clubs do will likely answer that question... Its hard to look good when your team is not doing so well... its Difficult to shine... however when your team's dominate & is getting good results you look better and have more time to do what you're best at on the field...

Both players will need to continue to grow. At 28 with Smith's physical history he could play with the Wallabies until 2011... Smith wont be there forever it just might seem like for young Pocock… like everyone else he’ll give it up one day…
    Not so much for openside flankers. Even in a losing team you can still show your stuff by being a menace at every breakdown, making tackle after tackle after tackle and running good support on the few occasions you do actually get good ball.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    True nonetheless selectors like a player from a winning culture... My point was when your on a loosing team the better players often get caught up pick up other players work and exhausting themselves. It just makes it more difficult to shine.

Both teams this year should at worst be mid table teams but both are capable of making the semis given some luck with minimum injuries and the rub of the green during the match…and of cause lucky enough to miss dumb referee decisions which cost table points...

vCash
    what do you mean?? Force will be top 4 !!!!
    everyones entitled to their opinion ey!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    what do you mean?? Force will be top 4 !!!!
    everyones entitled to their opinion ey!
    Lets hope so... but realistically I think it will be a tightly placed table this year and mid table up to a 4th semi spot may be only 2-6 points and no more... I'm expecting a tight mid table...

We haven't had 2 AUS S14 teams in the semis since before the Western Force started up... and that’s no coincidence… just the lack of tire 1 players depth for 4 squads… But the depth is returning for some clubs so perhaps this year we will be back in the semis finals mix…. The Force and Brumbies are the best chance...