Thread: AFL in hissy fit over ground use

vCash

AFL in hissy fit over ground use

AFL, soccer stage turf war over Telstra DomeArticle

Damian Barrett

February 16, 2009 10:00pm

FOOTBALL and soccer are in pitched battle over who can use Telstra Dome on Saturday week.

The AFL says it has the rights to the venue on February 28, and wants Collingwood to play Richmond, with Ben Cousins expected to make his Tigers debut, in a NAB Cup fixture.

But Football Federation Australia says it has set aside the stadium that night for the A-League grand final between Melbourne Victory and the winner of the Queensland Roar-Adelaide United preliminary final.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told the Herald Sun his organisation had locked in the venue on that date when it released its NAB Cup fixture in October.

"At this stage we have a dilemma as it (the Collingwood-Richmond game) is due to fall on a Saturday night, which the Victory might be playing as well," Demetriou said.

"It could be Ben Cousins' first game, so there could be a dilemma there for all concerned. It is scheduled for Saturday night, Telstra Dome.

"It is in our fixture, and we put that NAB Cup draw out in October. So we will see what happens."

FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said he had received an assurance from Telstra Dome management that the A-League grand final would be played there on February 28.

"We have been advised from Telstra Dome that we can, and are able to play the match on that night," Buckley told the Herald Sun last night.

Asked if the AFL's stance was a sign of it going head-to-head against soccer, Demetriou said: "You're using those words.

"The MCG is not available. It's not about staking a claim, but we have got a booking priority (at Telstra Dome), under our agreement."

Told that FFA had announced Telstra Dome as the venue for the A-League grand final on that night, Demetriou said: "They are playing at a venue we normally play football at."

The MCG can not stage the NAB Cup match because drop-in wickets required for cricket would still be in place.

Telstra Dome chief executive Ian Collins could not be contacted, but the venue's communications manager Bill Lane said talks with the AFL were continuing.

"As far as we are concerned, we are still in communications with the AFL," Lane said.

"We would have thought staging the (NAB Cup) game on a Thursday night, or a Monday, would have been a reasonable outcome, and we think the matter can be resolved amicably."

Asked the stadium's preferred outcome on the standoff, Lane said: "We are aware the Football Federation has announced the game, the A-League grand final, will be played here on the Saturday, and we are happy with that announcement."

Telstra Dome management was convinced the AFL would move the Collingwood-Richmond match, but it is believed the AFL was asked by Channel 10 to keep it in its original timeslot.

Melbourne Victory's use of Telstra Dome has become part of legal action taken by the AFL against management of the Docklands venue.

Also crucial to that action was a decision by the venue management to name airline Etihad as the ground's new naming rights sponsor, because the AFL has Qantas as a major sponsor.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...016215,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I thought I saw something last night that this had been resolved in football (soccer's) favour.

And rightly so- Hello- FINALS!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    According to Sunrise this morning - Soccer won

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    this was the first i had heard of it

Not a surpirse the AFL had a hissy fit though, but I agree Grand Final vs Pre-Season game that no one will care about?

The only team that cares about pre-season in the AFL are Fremantle, that and the Derby, if Freo beat West Coast the supporters are happy, almost sounds Welsh actually.........

What a wonderfull way, to spend the day, watching Archie Thompson pass away.......

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

What a wonderfull way, to spend the day, watching Archie Thompson pass away.......
    "wonderful"

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    According to Sunrise this morning - Soccer won
    Rightfully so

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    "wonderful"

back in your box IT nerd

vCash
    Couldn't be bothered reading the article but didn't they leave it a bit late to organise things! if the games is Feb 28th thats only 10 days! I would of had this sorted last year! .. but I'm not managing anything!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy View Post
    Couldn't be bothered reading the article but didn't they leave it a bit late to organise things! if the games is Feb 28th thats only 10 days! I would of had this sorted last year! .. but I'm not managing anything!
    Getting a bit off track here, but in my Cricket competition, all clubs are advised to book their home grounds for use in finals at the start of the season

I would imagine something similar happening with this situation with FFA, surely they would advise all clubs to book home grounds for finals regardless. I would think that the AFL has come along well after the fact (they say that they booked the ground in October, the A-League starts at the start of August), thinking it can use the fact that it owns a large proportion of Telstra Dome (40% I think) to force it's way

vCash
    I don't like soccer ... but the AFL is such a big bully ...

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    but the AFL is such a big bully ...
    VFL not AFL

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    AFL were saying that they have a priority there because it's an AFL ground and it's in their contract...looks like soccer pulled a swifty and are lucky to get the victory (err pun)...

coz Stone Cold says so

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't like soccer ... but the AFL is such a big bully ...
    i also dont like soccer...but this is what happens when there isnt a dedicated rectangular stadium and they have to utilise an afl ground...

this wouldnt happen in wa - afl has absolute priority

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    AFL were saying that they have a priority there because it's an AFL ground and it's in their contract...looks like soccer pulled a swifty and are lucky to get the victory (err pun)...
    What the AFL says and and what is reality doesnt neccesarily meet often. If they had a contract that stated it they would have enforced it

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    i also dont like soccer...but this is what happens when there isnt a dedicated rectangular stadium and they have to utilise an afl ground...

this wouldnt happen in wa - afl has absolute priority
    Despite Melbourne contructing a Rectangular Stadium, this issue may come up again as the Rectangular stdium that is being built in Melbourne only holds 30,000, 2 years ago Melbourne Victory sold out Telstra Dome for the A-League Grand Final

Legend Contributor
    vCash

AFL agrees to move pre-season match, A-League grand final to go ahead

February 17, 2009 11:36am
    THE AFL has announced it has moved its pre-season fixture to allow the A-League grand final to be played at Telstra Dome on February 28....
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005408,00.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, if I am reading it right, the AFL just assumed that their priority right meant they didn't need to book the ground and they could just have it whenever they wanted regardless of other bookings. Nice to see them informed otherwise, but I bet our local mob get it their way.

And the MCG wasn't available because of a drop in pitch? Well, doesn't that clearly demonstrate how unworkable the idea of cricket also sharing a MPS is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    So, if I am reading it right, the AFL just assumed that their priority right meant they didn't need to book the ground and they could just have it whenever they wanted regardless of other bookings. Nice to see them informed otherwise, but I bet our local mob get it their way.
    Does smack of arrogance a bit doesn't it

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    And the MCG wasn't available because of a drop in pitch? Well, doesn't that clearly demonstrate how unworkable the idea of cricket also sharing a MPS is.
    Cricket was never going to move to the MPS. But I do see where your comming from