Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fears of player exodus at Force

vCash

Fears of player exodus at Force

This is exactly why a lot of us is upset with the way Gits has gone about announcing his departure

THE Western Force has declared the retention of teenage sensation James O'Connor its highest priority following Matt Giteau's weekend announcement he will return to the Brumbies next year.

The widespread fear in the west is that Giteau's return to Canberra at the end of this year's Super 14 campaign could trigger a mass exodus of players coming off contract.

But no sooner had Force chief executive Greg Harris identified O'Connor as his primary contracting target than there was speculation the Waratahs too have set their sights on the gifted 18-year-old utility back, the second youngest Wallaby in history. O'Connor is not at the top of the NSW wish list, however. It is understood that position has been allocated to another member of the Force's classy backline, Test winger-fullback Drew Mitchell.

Waratahs' coach Chris Hickey described Mitchell and O'Connor as the kind of quality players who would potentially attract interest from NSW.

"Each year you review your squad," Hickey said. "We haven't really looked at that. We are trying to keep our focus on our game. We'll look at the contracting situation towards the end of the Super 14.

"Having said that, they (Mitchell and O'Connor) are quality players and you are always interested in good young players."

If the Waratahs enter a bidding war for Mitchell, they will face competition from the Brumbies.

Brumbies' chief executive Andrew Fagan reiterated the ACT team's strong interest in recruiting Mitchell.

"Our coaching group, headed by Andy Friend, will take four to six weeks to assess our guys and will then look at players across the competition," Fagan said.
    Kiwi prop Ben Castle more than lived up to expectations when he made his debut as the club's marquee player against the Cheetahs on Friday night, but he has indicated he will be leaving the Force at the end of the season, opening the door for the Perth franchise to target a high-profile inside back as its one allowed international import.

The embattled coach insisted that reports that his own behaviour was a factor in Giteau's decision to leave the Force was "a lie". "That's a total misrepresentation," said Mitchell, who pointed out that Giteau repeatedly had denied he had any problems with him.

It is understood Giteau only once exchanged harsh words with Mitchell, the now-infamous incident last year when the Force players banished their coach from the dressing room. Giteau is believed to have told him to shut the door on the way out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Mitchell next to leave the Force?
    There is growing concern that the departure of Matt Giteau from the Western Force could spell disaster for the franchise's playing ranks in the future.

Giteau announced last week that he will return to the ACT Brumbies at the end of the season for less money than what the Force offered in a last ditch bid to retain him and with 17 players off contract, more could follow including Test utility back Drew Mitchell.

The Canberra Times claimed Giteau had dropped $400,000 a year to get out of Perth, stating he would receive about $700,000 in rugby payments and a further $400,000 from a consortium of Canberra businessmen.

Mitchell, a close friend of Giteau, is understood to be being pursued by the Brumbies, the Queensland Reds and the New South Wales Waratahs. A report by today's Sydney Morning Herald states that Mitchell is unsure whether he'll stay in Western Australia.

follow the link for it all
    Mitchell next to leave the Force?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    This could be a ploy to get a little "top up" to ensure he doesnt move

vCash
    i hope mitchell wont leave!
    or JOC

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    MITCHELL NEXT TO LEAVE THE FORCE

Mitchell, a close friend of Giteau, is understood to be being pursued by the Brumbies, the Queensland Reds and the New South Wales Waratahs. A report by today's Sydney Morning Herald states that Mitchell is unsure whether he'll stay in Western Australia.
    This I find fasinating. The SMH decided Drew doesn't know what to do. Now, Drew officially DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. Articles all over the show about Drew being the next to leave BECAUSE SMH says so.

How come the SMH has these powers and I dont!?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    you dont eat enough pies Robyn

vCash
    Drew was on the 5 o clock news on 10 with JOC and neither of them were prepared to commit and say that they will stay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    you dont eat enough pies Robyn
    I don't like magic mushroom in my pies. I don't like ANY mushrooms though...

So I don't get the powers unless I eat pies? Aw.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    as I say,could be an attempt to attract more moolah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Drew was on the 5 o clock news on 10 with JOC and neither of them were prepared to commit and say that they will stay
    They didn't say they were going either.

vCash
    Extract from Article

Drew Mitchell praised Giteau for the way he handled his lengthy contract negotiations and indicated he would follow his lead.

“Obviously I'm pretty close to Matt and I've been speaking to him for a while,” he said.

“Knowing his situation I completely understand it and I wouldn't have done anything different to what he did.

“It was an unfortunate situation Matt got in and I certainly commend the way he handled himself.”

Mitchell admitted joining Giteau in Canberra in 2010 was “an option worth looking at”.

“A big part of my reasoning in coming over here was to play with Matt Giteau,” he said.

“It's going to weigh quite heavily onto my considerations as to what team I'll play with next year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Clearly Drew Mitchell is considering his options outside of the Force... The only province, which may give him, a 15-start jersey is QLD Reds... But does he want to be a S14 participator or a real title contender…

He should sign with the BRUMBIES, as most of the Wallabies backs will be playing there until the next rugby World Cup… If he plays with a stronger squad it will lengthen his Wallabies career…

vCash
    i loved drews swimmin cap

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Extract from Article

Drew Mitchell praised Giteau for the way he handled his lengthy contract negotiations and indicated he would follow his lead.

“Obviously I'm pretty close to Matt and I've been speaking to him for a while,” he said.

“Knowing his situation I completely understand it and I wouldn't have done anything different to what he did.

“It was an unfortunate situation Matt got in and I certainly commend the way he handled himself.”

Mitchell admitted joining Giteau in Canberra in 2010 was “an option worth looking at”.

“A big part of my reasoning in coming over here was to play with Matt Giteau,” he said.

“It's going to weigh quite heavily onto my considerations as to what team I'll play with next year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Clearly Drew Mitchell is considering his options outside of the Force... The only province, which may give him, a 15-start jersey is QLD Reds... But does he want to be a S14 participator or a real title contender…

He should sign with the BRUMBIES, as most of the Wallabies backs will be playing there until the next rugby World Cup… If he plays with a stronger squad it will lengthen his Wallabies career…

haha, who exactly? i count it up in my head and i really only see 2 starting wallabies in the Brumbies backline from 2010.

vCash
    Tough times ahead for us rugby supporters in the west.

Since Matt's confirmation of his move back east has hit, the press has been rolling with all sorts of stories.

Unfortunately for us in the West unlike the other franchises, almost every member of the squad is merely working here with no real long term committments, the Reds and other franchises could survive our initial grab of players as they had stocks of their own that they could still call on, we have next to nothing.

I have a horrible sinking feeling that unless the ARU does something drastic and very soon, we will not be around for much longer, as a team that is not competitive is not going to attract sponsorship and the member numbers required to survive.

There is only so much great benefactors like Ross Graham and ET trading can help us out.

From a very sad Force member, that stood at Subi to rally for the Super 14 team, and attendee of every match in Perth, including friendlies, even the ones against the Japanese club sides some years ago, I pray that something comes and drags us out this quagmire I feel is enveloping our beloved Force.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    given that Steven Moore looks like he might be heading home possibly others, looks like the Reds will be on the up
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast