Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A cut-price homecoming

vCash

Thumbs up A cut-price homecoming

A cut-price homecomingBY PETER FITZGERALD AND CHRIS DUTTON
    22/02/2009 10:11:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

MATT Giteau said his decision to return to the ACT Brumbies next season was never about the money.
    Giteau confirmed rugby's worst kept secret yesterday, announcing he would rejoin the Brumbies for two seasons from next year, in a deal worth about $1.1million.

The deal will include:

$110,000 from a Brumbies contract, the maximum an Australian Super 14 franchise can pay a player.

About $600,000 from an ARU top-up contract

About $400,000 in third-party sponsorship from a Canberra business consortium.

The consortium is headed by some of Canberra's biggest commercial hitters including ACTEW chairman John Mackay, ACTTAB chief Tony Curtis, Colliers International's Paul Powderley, Stephen Johnston of Macquarie Bank and Canberra Milk boss Gary Sykes.

Giteau's contract with the Western Force was believed to have been worth about $1.5million per season for three years.

About $750,000 of that was from third-party sponsor Firepower, which went bust last year.

Giteau missed out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments as a result of the company's demise.

The 26-year-old, who has played 64 Super 14 matches and 65 Tests for the Wallabies, allegedly knocked back a $1.6million offer from ET Mining last week to remain in Perth, money which would have made up for his Firepower losses.

The flyhalf had already decided he was ready to return to Canberra and play with the Brumbies for at least the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

Giteau denied money or an alleged fallout with Force coach John Mitchell played any role in his decision.

''If it was about the money, I'd still be here [in Perth],'' he said yesterday.

''I had to make a decision and I decided to go back to play where it all started.

''The decision was a matter of me wanting to go back to the Brumbies, certainly not a matter of just wanting to get away from the Force. With all the [financial] promises that were made and weren't met ... to still honour my contract as far as to play out where I said I would in Perth, I feel very proud of that.

''[The Mitchell saga] didn't come into my mind, there was no reason related to that at all.''

Giteau came to his decision on Tuesday night.

He informed his family on Wednesday before signing a transfer of clubs form to confirm the move.

He said he consulted several of the Brumbies players before making his decision but admitted making the final call to leave the Force was ''pretty tough''.

''I talked to a few of the guys at the Brumbies. You obviously want a fully informed decision,'' Giteau said.

''To make the right decision you need to get as many options and points of view as you can and I did that but ultimately, you have to come to the decision yourself and that wasn't easy.''

The Brumbies were yesterday rejoicing.

Chief executive Andrew Fagan described the No10 as ''a superstar of international rugby'' whose signing would have positive flow-on effects.

''With membership, sponsorship, general crowd numbers and interest in the game in Canberra, Matt's marketability is enormous,'' Fagan said.

''His on-field ability will ensure the Brumbies have an even more formidable line-up for the next couple of years but his off-field influence is a great coup for us as well.''

Giteau's inclusion into the Brumbies team next year will ensure coach Andy Friend has the most dominant backline of any of the four Australian franchises at his disposal.

Friend had minimal involvement in luring Giteau to Canberra, having not spoken to him since the middle of last year.

''Matt's done it at the highest level, he's a huge competitor, it's a great coup for the club,'' he said.

''He's one of those blokes who, wherever he plays, he plays well.''

Giteau's announcement comes seven days before he and his Western Force teammates take on the Brumbies in Canberra in what looms as an enthralling Super 14 contest.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And obviously none of the parties involved third party endorsement were approached before he had signed for the Brumbies.......

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Brumbies obviously have been conducting some supect dealings here

vCash
    its actually better off for gits, he can stay at home and his mum can give him a packed lunch, so he saves on bills and food costs. plus he can get away from his mrs and live a little! (this is a joke, you cant have fun in canberra, ive tried, its a hole!)

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    its actually better off for gits, he can stay at home and his mum can give him a packed lunch, so he saves on bills and food costs. plus he can get away from his mrs and live a little! (this is a joke, you cant have fun in canberra, ive tried, its a hole!)
    and free hairdos from mum.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    at least if they were free he would have an excuse

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But, but, but...some of those sponsors are also Brumbies sponsors! The Brumbies board MUST have introduced them, which naturally means that they organised the whole thing, probably therefore sat in on all negotiations and are of course morally responsible for underwriting the outcomes should anything at all go wrong!

Seriously though, that is a frank admission that the Brumbies did what the Force were fined for, at least in part - time to see some ARU leadership I think!! A refund and apology would be nice, but simple equal treatment would be something at least. Otherwise, was anyone still wondering where the "us and them" attitude comes from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    But, but, but...some of those sponsors are also Brumbies sponsors! The Brumbies board MUST have introduced them, which naturally means that they organised the whole thing, probably therefore sat in on all negotiations and are of course morally responsible for underwriting the outcomes should anything at all go wrong!

Seriously though, that is a frank admission that the Brumbies did what the Force were fined for, at least in part - time to see some ARU leadership I think!! A refund and apology would be nice, but simple equal treatment would be something at least. Otherwise, was anyone still wondering where the "us and them" attitude comes from?
    AndyS…you miss the point here…. it not about the money it’s about going to a professionally run club...

While you trying to paraphrase me your players are talking to their managers….

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And I can do what about that?

You are right, I am having just a little bit of a dig . But the point is still there - how was the money obtained, because from the cheap seats it appears to be exactly the same. The Force weren't fined because of who the sponsor was, they were fined because of the how.

Heaven forfend the players are going to a club that might be destabilised by persistent rumours about ARU investigations into contractual dealings! That wouldn't be very professional, would it? Mind you, I'll believe that when I see it.

vCash
    Andrew Fagan might have some questions to answer at ARU headquarters.......

vCash
    And I can do what about that?

You are right, I am having a little bit of a dig . But the point is still there - how was the money obtained, because from the cheap seats it appears to be exactly the same. The Force weren't fined because of who the sponsor was, they were fined because of the how.

Heaven forfend the players are going to a club that might be destabilised by persistent rumours about ARU investigations into contractual dealings! That wouldn't be very professional, would it? Mind you, I'll believe that when I see it.
    I don't miss your point Andy... but it is meaningless and small... its just petty paraphrasing of past conversations... lets talk about it if some evidence comes to light... Why begrudge the Brumbies getting Giteau back and likely signing Mitchell….. The Force were investigated were found wanting in several areas and fined O’Meara stepped down, why was that? but mainly they got away with it... Perhaps the Brumbies called O'Meara for some advise...…no they couldn’t do that because O’Meara now works for the former business partner of the colourful Tim Johnston and the new club sponsor…. Now can you tell me how happened...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sure - they formed a "Burnt by Tim" club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The Force were investigated were found wanting in several areas
    are you attempting to deflect the possibilty that the Brumbies could be found wanting as well? They should receive tougher penalties as well given that all Clubs were probably warned of this behaviour

vCash
    Sure - they formed a "Burnt by Tim" club.
    Everyone wants to paint Graham as another Firepower victim but he wasn't a shareholder he was a partner...Please correct me if I wrong...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    but it is meaningless and small... its just petty paraphrasing of past conversations... lets talk about it if some evidence comes to light...
    I usually see such responses to your posts, MudSkipper...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast