Carter out to seize chance as Hickey rests Tahu

Rupert Guinness | February 25, 2009

WARATAHS inside-centre Timana Tahu has been benched for the Highlanders clash on Friday night.

Coach Chris Hickey insisted the decision was not made on form grounds, but rather to ease the strain on Tahu's troublesome hamstrings.

For Tom Carter, who was named in Tahu's place, it is an opportunity to secure the NSW No.12 jersey, having not worn it since last year's final against the Crusaders. "It has been a long time between drinks but it's really exciting," Carter said yesterday.

Carter's promotion from the bench was one of two changes made by selectors to the 22-man squad that beat the Chiefs last Friday night. The other was the selection of hooker Adam Freier in the run-on XV for Tatafu Polota-Nau, who was named as back-up after two straight starts.

As expected, Kurtley Beale retained the No.10 jersey, despite the belief in some quarters that Daniel Halangahu is deserving of a starting berth.

Hickey said the changes were made not only to ensure his bench players get more game time, but to help manage the fitness of players who have been carrying injuries.

Hickey is wary about overloading Tahu, who has twice broken down due to hamstring injuries in the past year. He believes selecting the former rugby league star on the bench will allow him to rest No.13 Rob Horne earlier in the game as Tahu can cover outside-centre.

Polota-Nau sustained a cork in last Friday's clash and Hickey says the team will be best served by him coming on from the bench in the latter part of the game.

"The selections have not been made on form … They are selections that we have been looking at before the season started," Hickey said. "We have players who have been carrying injuries or who have recently come back from them, and we are mindful of not overloading them."

Carter began this season on the back of long recovery from a groin operation, then sustained a foot injury just before the Waratahs' final trial game against the Brumbies, in which he was to have started at No.12. His inclusion will offer the side extra punch in attack.

"I guess I can bring a physical presence … I hope I can add the little things too: in kick-chase and working well in defence," he said.