Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rugby WA a disgrace in the bush

vCash

Rugby WA a disgrace in the bush

Has anybody tried to contact these people regarding assistance re juniors?
    They ignore you
    They obviously have no interest in junior rugby in regional WA
    I am bemused, angered and apoplectic with rage.
    Would anybody from Rugby WA like to explain the position of rugby WA with regards to the development of junior rugby in regional areas? Would anybody care to explain why my e-mails are repeatedly ignored?
    If you want to find rough diamonds, you will need to dig a bit for them
    You cannot pilfer the east coast forever. The Giteau shamozzle and the repercussions of his imminent departure are autodestructive.
    News flash...You have to develop the game in WA. Wake up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    Have to agree with the need for developing the game in WA- especially at the crucial GRASS ROOTS level, and, especially in the bush.

vCash
    Valid question, I have an assignment on sport (in my case Rugby) and the involvement of Indigenous players and the opportunities available to them. So far there isn't much for Union, but I haven't really started researching it yet, when I do I'll let you know what I find.

I know last year RugbyWA sent Hodgson and Wykes up to the Kimberley to help spread the word about rugby but aside from that..
    http://www.rugbywa.com.au/community_...ons,52701.html

vCash
    TE, have you tried the WA Government? they have a department that looks after youthish things :-

http://www.childrenandyouth.wa.gov.au/

I don't know much about this department or if they can help out in these cases but if Rugby WA are not listening to a genuine cause, maybe see what others can do to help.

Good luck, I share your bemusement etc

vCash
    i agree mate, been there done that, spent the last few years trying to get help in the juniors dept. This year there isnt even a country DO position for the southwest/great southern, its been left up to clubs to pester them repeatedly in regards to this issue, while Ray does a great job with the country carnival, country rep side and country cup in the last couple of years the fact is if you live inland from the coast you get squat. Katanning was created from scratch and Narrogin defected from the southwest comp to create the Great Southern comp with Albany, Denmark and Mt Barker named as the other sides for the new comp, 2006 saw the same 15-25 people make up the Mt Barker, Denmark and Albany sides, and 2007 and 2008 saw Albany/Mt Barker/Denmark combine and the Great Southern comp became a 3 team affair.

Now this year see's The Albany/Denmark/Mtbarker trio detach completely from the original great southern rugby as we know it and has set up its own 10 a side comp, Oh but Katanning and Narrogin (who have suffered the most out of this whole ideal) have at least been "invite" to travel each week to the coast to play if we want. meaning Albany players will never have to travel past the airport.

Now Katanning did manage to attract the DO last year but it took the promise of a new jersey to seal the deal, Unfortunate to say the least.

vCash
    Rugby WA did have development officers in regional areas for the last 3 years whose job was to develop these areas in particular junior rugby. In 2005 with funding from 2003 world cup from ARU had one in SW, one working between Great Southern and Kalgoorlie plus 4 in Perth to offer support. 2006 saw one in SW and one dedicated person in Kal. 2007/08 saw SW DO take on Great Southern area aswell and kal DO dropped. And in 2009 there is no one in regional areas and Perth has gone down to 3 Do's.

Is a real shame as totally agree that developing grass roots rugby should be a priority and the best way to do this is having development officers introduce rugby into schools and expose as many kids as possible exposed to rugby.

TE try giving Matt Tink a call who is manager community rugby on 9387 0700.

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash

well done Country folk

I feel it should be that all force players and esp development players come and play with country teams i am sure billited accommodation could be found for a few weeks so we all benefit from the WF and Rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckNMaul View Post
    Now this year see's The Albany/Denmark/Mtbarker trio detach completely from the original great southern rugby as we know it and has set up its own 10 a side comp, Oh but Katanning and Narrogin (who have suffered the most out of this whole ideal) have at least been "invite" to travel each week to the coast to play if we want. meaning Albany players will never have to travel past the airport.

Now Katanning did manage to attract the DO last year but it took the promise of a new jersey to seal the deal, Unfortunate to say the least.
    Now that sucks mate. Katanning and Narrogin should head over to SW comp mate least we would travel to you!! But if you are looking for games during the season drop us a line. I am now invloved with Bunbury City Bulls who started last year in SW comp and there are couple of holes in fixtures this year that might be able to filled with game against you guys?

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I Agree with your thread heading, but the last three words are superfluous.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I Agree with your thread heading, but the last three words are superfluous.
    Am I right in thinking that this means player development in the metro area also isn't up to standard?

vCash
    The Busso Jets first year was last year and I found the support from RugbyWA quite positive.
    Our biggest issue is teams to play within our region. Parents aren't really keen on driving a massive distance, South West has us and Bunbury.
    Anyone wanting to start a club in the south-west let me know, I have a sponsor organised as we speak that will provide you with teh funds to get jumpers and get a kick along.
    You can start with 7 Under 8 kids and that's a Walla team. 1 team I know is a small start but at least it's a start. Parents will come on board, next year more kids will come on board.
    I suppose I am just saying that if someone puts their hand up in the community and says "I am starting this" kids will come and drag their parents too.
    TE if you are finding Rugby WA aren't getting involved just start it anyway. I am happy to share what we did last year in Busselton with anyone who wants help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Am I right in thinking that this means player development in the metro area also isn't up to standard?
    This is one of the assumed effects of a reduction in income from the elite arm of the sport.....RugbyWA are contracually obligated to fulfil certain requirements in the Super 14, if they get charged exorbitant rent to fill a stadium where nobody can see the game, you'd expect cost cutting to occur......guess who get's the razor....community Rugby, that's who.

I distinctly remember posting similar comments both here and on www.weneedcorners.com earlier this year in response to RugbyWA announcing the move to MES.....I reckon Greg Harris and his cronies aren't happy with player development either!

C'mon the

vCash
    Know of at least one junior club in metro that started in the last couple of years - they seemed to find the experience quite positive - don't know what your specitive gripe or experience is - it is hard work but normally RugbyWa does it's best to help but they do have a set of guidelines to follow - mostly to ensure fairness in the comp and insurance.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I'm pretty sure funding is the issue with retaining DOs in the country regions. All the good ones move on to other employ (hey, Callan?) and it's tough to recruit with not a lot of funds to play with.

Much easier to have DOs stationed at RWA but then obviously the metro area will be serviced before the country because it's just easier.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And to be sadly honest, a better return on investment.
    As I've said a couple of times over the TWF years, Union would be a far better suited number one winter sport in the country than Aus Rules but that isn't going to change in our lifetime unfortunately.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast