on this site, TWF has naming rights on MES

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    on this site, TWF has naming rights on MES
    In that case my most abject apologies for teh oversight

vCash
    Yeah. TWF Stadium. Do we all get our own boxes and private passes onto the field?! That would be good...

Around me, rugby is pretty not-well-known. Subconsciously I can tell, every time I see a force hat I start jumping up and down with excitement. It's kinda pathetic. But for every force hat I see there must me MILLIONS of AFL hats and crap. Out in the bush, AFL is not a sport it's a way of life and rugby doesn't compete with that.

Also, I spoke to a guy friend of mine and he said he WOULD follow rugby, if we got free-to-air coverage of it seeing as he doesn't have fox. But then, that isn't just the bush is it...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    They like AFL in the bush because they have no choice. That's all they have to watch. Given exposure to other body contact sports, blokes would cross over in droves. The physicality of the two games have no comparison.

You tend to be interested in what you are exposed to as a kid and what is "popular culture". If AFL players are idolised by your parents, you will generally follow suit. Rugby players in RSA and NZ are "God-like" and children want to emulate their heroes.

It's all important to expose the game to younger members of the population. TV is the perfect medium. This aspect has been lost on the Force and Rugby WA. The money is available, but it has been directed into other avenues.........like incompetent staff. I accept that some money had to be spent on big names to make the franchise successful and to raise the profile of the game. It's a shame the service won't be of a longer duration. There is no loyalty which in itself is a problem. Buying mercenaries is doomed to fail as a long term plan. Their heart isn't in the state, the local clubs, the local communities or the franchise for that matter. To suggest otherwise is a lie.

The game has to be developed at the grass roots level. The game has to have its profile elvated considerably. My accusation is that rugby WA has failed miserably with these tasks and that recent cut backs have seriously reduced the likelihood that any improvements will be forthcoming.

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    This is true kinda true that what they are exposed to does play a role. I have a friend who moved from South Africa to Australia last spring and this season (after much protesting on my behalf) he's playing AFL because he doesn't feel like he's good enough to play in the only division avaliable, also that he doesn't know anyone in the club and all his mates are playing AFL. I am most distressed.

It is getting there. Miracles don't happen over night remember.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3