Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau becoming frustrated with inconsistent Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Matt Giteau becoming frustrated with inconsistent Force

STAR flyhalf Matt Giteau admits he has been left frustrated by the Force's inconsistencies during this current Super 14 season.

The Force came from 14 points down in the second half to snatch a 23-23 draw against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Saturday night.

But Giteau, who played a starring role in the comeback, was left far from impressed after the match, saying the Force shot themselves in the foot in the first half when they conceded three soft tries.

A week earlier, the Force, who sit four points outside the top four, also let in three first-half tries in their 31-13 loss to the Chiefs.

"You just can't play a half of football like we did and then expect to win a game,'' Giteau said.

"Although we showed tremendous character in the second half and we came back, it's still frustrating because if we had started well we would have won.

"Everyone feels kind of good going into the game, everyone's enthusiastic, training's well, the preparation's good -- whether it's just once we get out there guys lack knowledge or are a little bit too fired up, I'm not too sure.

"Broadly if you look at it we are on the right track, I just think the little specifics and the little things is where we're lacking at the moment.

"Once we play a complete 80 minutes that's where we will really show what we can do as a side.

"There's a tremendous amount of belief within the group about our skill and character and the players and the squad we've got, it's just a matter of going out and playing a full 80 minutes, which we still haven't done.

"I think all the guys are mentally switched on, it's just collectively guys are making mistakes.

"We've just got to start executing better, defensively we have to be stronger.

"We can't give sides easy points because we know how hard it is to score ourselves.''

With a crucial match against the Sharks to come on Saturday night in Perth, the Force will be sweating on the fitness of wingers Cameron Shepherd (ankle), Nick Cummins (hamstring) and prop Ben Castle (neck/shoulder).

Shepherd is of the biggest concern after he hurt the same ankle he broke while playing for the Wallabies last year.

But No.8 Richard Brown is expected to return after spending two weeks on the sidelines with a shoulder injury.

"I think this game against the Sharks is a big one for us, it could really set our season up with either something positive or the other way,'' Giteau said.

"It's a must-win.''

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sharks next week... Brown will help steel the Force defence... game could hinge on Ruan Pienaar being available as the Sharks were terrible without him...

vCash
    I'm not sure what all the bemusement is. I thought the performance yesterday was the best of the season. The Crusaders defence was just awesome which forced a lot of the mistakes. The Crusaders were on fire in the first half and looked like the title contenders of old. It was a magnificent effort to fight back and put on some quality tries. Wasn't it great to see phase after phase building instead of aimless kicking on phase 3-4-5?

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    What about the inconsistnet play from past seasons? It's not like it has just happened.

A 22pt start against the brumbies comes to mind from last year.

Champion
    vCash
    Dry your eyes Giteau, only another 14 games to go then you can tease the Rumbles when you get to canberra.

I know we didn't play for 80 but 2 points may be useful come the end of the season. I reckon it should be a bonus point for losing by less than 7.... we didn't win, so we didn't get 4 points, so 3 points should be on offer for a draw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I reckon it should be a bonus point for losing by less than 7.... we didn't win, so we didn't get 4 points, so 3 points should be on offer for a draw.
    That would not seem to make sense at first look. But when you line it up against the 'Saders gaining a losing bonus point for going down 0-6 in a completely boring match last week it stacks up a bit better.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Dry your eyes Giteau, only another 14 games to go then you can tease the Rumbles when you get to canberra.
    If you bother to put aside your Giteau prejudice he makes a fair point. I'm proud the boys made a come back but I too am tiring of this bullsh*t inconsistency. We have the skill, we have the experience now, so why doesn't it translate? Why is it that we only play 40mins? And why can't we even be consistent about which 40mins we are going to play?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Player
    vCash
    I really like what Phil Mooney has done with the reds squad,he has changed the culture of the game there from a struggling, inconsistant incompotent team to an entertaining consistant and competitive side who look like they are having a lot of fun.

Its a shame because some players are playing consistantly well while others are up and down and I think that maybe part of the problem.

vCash

I too am tiring of this bullsh*t inconsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    If you bother to put aside your Giteau prejudice he makes a fair point. I'm proud the boys made a come back but I too am tiring of this bullsh*t inconsistency. We have the skill, we have the experience now, so why doesn't it translate? Why is it that we only play 40mins? And why can't we even be consistent about which 40mins we are going to play?
    I cant agree more! The inconsistencies must be and probably are destroying moral both with in the team and certainly with fans. If they carry on like this we will move to MES and wont be able to fill that!
    Come on boys pull your finger out and play for 80 mins!

vCash
    Can't beleive I am going to say this - but the Reds are now my second favourite team - the style of Rugby they played on Saturday was great - wish we could play like that. Hopefully now they have some confidence they will be able to keep it up - it is a high risk strategy that needs a high skill level.

Clearly shows that very quick ball is what is required to breach defences.

Jasper

vCash
    Very disappointed with the Force performance in the first half - more than once someone was leading a charge only to try to offload the ball and no one was there.

Hope that the guy who tackled Gits after he released the ball and stunned him gets banned for a couple of weeks

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I was at the game, it was bitterly cold, which usually doesn't matter if the footy is good. Alas, the footy was crap. For me the closeness of the score made the game more interesting than it really was. The first half I felt too often the Force tried to push the pass and suffered a turnover. There appeared to to almost no structure, i.e. this is a game of chess, lets take them here, then here, then here, then hold them then create something we have practised 100 times, however you need to get through a few phases for this to happen. Too much aimless kicking. Simple game, create an extra man, take it up the middle or give to a Git/Latham/Campo type player.
    I can understand Gits being a little frustrated although he is part of the problem, because he is an exceptional player he is difficult to read. That is great when you talk opposition but when your own guys are not able to read well enough to support his brilliance, damn. Still I think J O'C will keep getting better and reading better.
    Drew Mitchell looked out of sorts, he is not a Super 14 fullback yet he is a super winger. Horua is a pretty handy 6 but 8? I think not, if you take the ball off the back inside your own half you don't get driven into touch, shit you might as well let them hook it.

There was a small vocal hardy Force supporters crew that fought the bitter easterly and willed them on in the second half.

This team is much better than they showed and the 'saders were there for the taking. Next week will be huge for moral, the Sharks will be hurting real bad.

On a brighter note, my wife and I went to town afterwards and had some really nice time with some of the players. We were really impressed with Pek. Josh Tatupu was a real gent and did the intros.

A man has to be pretty brave to "Carn the Force" at full tit in Canterbury, especially when surrounded by locals who know me.

The way I see it now is that where the Force sit on the table it ain't too bad given they have yet to play to their potential,...............I remain loyal!

P.S. Still gunna be in Sydney 2010 October with a good crew, if you're shy on numbers we can help out.

vCash
    A pretty fair summary of the match Woody. I guess we were part of what you refer to as the small group of vocal Force supporters there.
    After the sad effort against the Chiefs in Hamilton I was expecting a bit of a drubbing for the force, but all credit to them, they kept contesting until the 80th minute.
    Let's be a little bit complimentary on their effort, as it is not easy for any team to come away unbeaten from any Crusaders outfit when they play at home.
    I am looking forward to the match against the Sharks this week, as I believe this match will determine if the Force are real contenders, or just making up the numbers in the comp.
    Whatever the outcome, we are still happy to support the team that has brought the next level of rugby to all the rugby lovers in Perth.

vCash
    Bunter, please don't get me wrong. Realistically the Chiefs this year are a better team than the Crusaders. The Saders, although missing some very very players, are not being coached by someone who can read and structure a game/team the way Aussie Bob can did/can. Todd Blackadder could get guys to crawl over broken glass for him, but he still needs to teach how to crawl properly.

I agree completely with
    "I am looking forward to the match against the Sharks this week, as I believe this match will determine if the Force are real contenders, or just making up the numbers in the comp.
    Whatever the outcome, we are still happy to support the team that has brought the next level of rugby to all the rugby lovers in Perth".
    I may not live there but my S14 heart is definetely there.

vCash
    I take no offense Woody and I applaud you for your commitment.
    I really enjoyed my time in Christchurch and would recommend a visit to the Holy Grail pub for anyone going there.
    We are both on the same page Woody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast