Thread: Knives are out for the Tahs - Backs to the wall …

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Knives are out for the Tahs - Backs to the wall …

Backs to the wall …

Rupert Guinness | March 16, 2009

Glen Ella has warned Waratahs coaches to use their backs or perish, writes Rupert Guinness.

Former Wallabies backs coach Glen Ella has taken an extraordinary shot at the Waratahs coaching staff for their failure to adopt an expansive game this year, even going as far as to say that the Chris Hickey-led panel "don't know what they are doing".

Ella's outburst followed the Waratahs' 21-11 loss to the Brumbies at Canberra Stadium on Friday night, despite it being their first defeat in five rounds. While the loss stemmed mainly from the Waratahs' relative weakness in defence and at the breakdown, their wayward midfield kicking didn't help.

"They are getting bagged for negative rugby," Ella said. "I have to agree with it. It's not good enough. NSW Rugby need to have a look at that. [But] they will grind away and win games by a couple of points and say it was a successful season, starting to get bums on seats …"

Ella says Kurtley Beale's game is off, but the NSW playmaker was not the only Waratah who is failing to deliver and blames the coaches for that.

"The NSW coaching staff need to have a good look at themselves," Ella said. "Obviously, [Beale] is not playing well, but I don't think the team is really playing well.

"We keep on talking about the style of rugby they are playing. I know for certain … that Kurtley wants to run the ball and play an expansive game. They just kick the ball too much. It is just a kickathon with NSW. They don't do anything constructive. For the first 10 minutes [last Friday night] it looked like they were going to run the ball against the Brumbies, but they then went straight back into their shell. They have got the best back line in Australia and they don't run the ball.

"And they are getting to the stage where they think they don't know how to run the ball. The skills are terrible. The catch and pass are terrible. They've got all these coaches … I don't think the coaches know what they are doing."

Ella is astounded that Beale has not been called on to spread the ball wide to wingers Lachie Turner and Lote Tuqiri.

But when the season began, Hickey said calling the plays was no longer the No.10's job. That was handed to the centres, while the back three were to act as the back line's "eyes and ears".

However, last week, Turner told the Herald that he and Tuqiri were desperate to run with the ball. Even then, NSW's only try against the Brumbies near full-time did not come off a back-line move, but a Tuqiri chip-kick across the field to Turner who scored. "Tuqiri, Norton-Knight … they are great runners of the ball. Give it to them," Ella said. "Lachie Turner … other than in broken field play, I can't remember the last time Lachie got the ball from a first-phase move.

"He would be the most frustrated footballer in Australian rugby. Against Queensland he got a couple of good breaks, but they were on his own bat … nothing structured."

While Ella disagrees, there is growing belief NSW should move Beale from No.10 by promoting Daniel Halangahu off the bench, or moving Sam Norton-Knight in from fullback. But the latter is playing well and the defensive risk of Beale there was shown on Friday when Tyrone Smith barrelled him over during Norton-Knight's stint in the blood bin.

The best option for No.10 may be to pick Halangahu, a tempo player known for his quick, consistent and accurate service, and recall hard-running Tom Carter to inside centre. The pair already form an effective 10-12 combination in club rugby at Sydney University.

Beale's unpredictable flair could be more potent off the bench against tired opponents, which would require NSW to play a running game. Ella believes that will not happen, judging by how deep Beale is made to stand at five-eighth. "That's obviously the way they want him to play. When you move forward, and NSW normally move forward with a pack, you've got to stand flatter to attack the line," he said. "You need to start taking the ball to the line, and that's when he [will] become the running threat and can pick up the runners."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ella has a big mouth.
    I don't remember ever seeing him on the shortlist for coaching the Tahs
    You do see him at every Tah and ARU function espousing his brand of "spin it wide". His columns in The Weekend Australian are a pointer to why he isn't coaching.

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Ella has a big mouth.
    I don't remember ever seeing him on the shortlist for coaching the Tahs
    You do see him at every Tah and ARU function espousing his brand of "spin it wide". His columns in The Weekend Australian are a pointer to why he isn't coaching.
    You are not wrong. Did you see this classic from last weekend?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running rugby is harder than it looks
    OPINION: Mark Ella | March 14, 2009

EVERYBODY please take note: this is the first and last time you will hear me say I admire the Reds for their open running approach to this year's Super 14 competition.

Mind you, I don't think they will win the tournament, but at least they are having a go and coach Phil Mooney is making the most of his young charges by instructing them to run the football and take chances.

Before last weekend's interstate derby in Sydney, I was confident the Waratahs would put them away easily.

However, the Reds were unlucky not to have come out on top, losing 15-11.

(blah, blah blah, if you are interested, the rest is HERE)

Teasing and baiting your opposition to kick the ball to you as the Reds did last weekend against the Waratahs is asking for trouble.

Against a disciplined side such as the Waratahs, who have one of the game's best defensive records, it isn't such a bright idea unless you have three Ellas in your team.(Bloody hell Mark, tickets on yourself much!!??)

There is no doubt the Reds will get better at the running game and I have no doubt tonight against the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium will see another fine exhibition of open rugby.

I really hope the Reds don't abandon their open approach to the game, though, I would encourage a more balanced performance by the team because the Sharks will know what to expect.

And playing, or in this case running, into their hands doesn't make sense.

vCash
    Ella was Kurtley Beale's agent... He still might be... He is just pushing the media back from Beale's corner a little bit...

vCash
    yeah thats all it is, a agent defending one of his clients

vCash
    Most of Ellas' columns invariable mention "when he was a wallaby".
    The game has evolved considerably over the last two decades. The players are much fitter and stronger and the speed of the defence and the organisation of the defence is a lightyear ahead of when Ella played. His playing style would be ineffective in todays game. He would also have been a speedbump. The explosive power of the modern players is far superior to the amateur days. Ella may not have made the grade in modern rugby. That will be heresy to some but the game is no longer the same and his strengths would have been easily nullified with modern defences and the speed of modern backrowers

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselhead View Post
    Most of Ellas' columns invariable mention "when he was a wallaby".
    The game has evolved considerably over the last two decades. The players are much fitter and stronger and the speed of the defence and the organisation of the defence is a lightyear ahead of when Ella played. His playing style would be ineffective in todays game. He would also have been a speedbump. The explosive power of the modern players is far superior to the amateur days. Ella may not have made the grade in modern rugby. That will be heresy to some but the game is no longer the same and his strengths would have been easily nullified with modern defences and the speed of modern backrowers
    on the same note it could be said that with modern day technolgies, suppliments and training regimes Ella would have been a lot more physically prolific player.

Much of what Ella did back when he played would look like childsplay in a modern game, but he did have the raw potential of a great player, i dont doubt that in a current professional team he would have had the same impact as back then.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    WTF, some journos applying the heat at last! Im going to be shattered if the Force fall off the front page, and the Tahs takeover. The Tahs and NSW rugby are all bottom feeders and after 1 lost are starting to eat their own. Gotta love it.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Even our own "Mayor" mentioned in today's West the "curse of the powder blue number 10 since Ella"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And what was the success of NSW with Ella at 10?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mark Ella

Ella MG (Mark) 1979-1984 Played 26 Trys 12 Conv 2 Pen 3 Drop Goals 9

NSW 79-84 P33 W13 L20

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    on the same note it could be said that with modern day technolgies, suppliments and training regimes Ella would have been a lot more physically prolific player.

Much of what Ella did back when he played would look like childsplay in a modern game, but he did have the raw potential of a great player, i dont doubt that in a current professional team he would have had the same impact as back then.
    You must have been the only QLDer not booing his wallaby debut at Ballymore.

Mark was built like a tent. Speed wasn't his gift. His kicking was average. His support play and handling was outstanding. I don't think he had the speed or power to make an impact in the modern game. He would have been Richie McCaws roadkill.

I accept that I am a heretic and most will take the soft option and say he was one of the greats and would have made it in any era. Although he was an outstanding club player with a phenomenal combination with his brothers I don't believe he was that great when he stepped up to state and test level. He had plenty of shockers. He was the Kurtley Beale of the late 70's early 80's. Over rated

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Mark Ella

Ella MG (Mark) 1979-1984 Played 26 Trys 12 Conv 2 Pen 3 Drop Goals 9

NSW 79-84 P33 W13 L20
    His record speaks for itself
    9 droppies? How about that for "spin it wide"?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselhead View Post
    You must have been the only QLDer not booing his wallaby debut at Ballymore."?
    I was there

And he came off in tears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I was there

And he came off in tears.
    One of the greats