Thread: Test prop Alexander finally gets a start for the Brumbies in Super 14

vCash

Test prop Alexander finally gets a start for the Brumbies in Super 14

Test prop Alexander finally gets a start for the Brumbies in Super 14

March 18, 2009

He's already played four Tests for Australia and prop Ben Alexander will finally make his Super 14 starting debut for the Brumbies this weekend.

Coach Andy Friend named Alexander at loosehead prop ahead of Nic Henderson among three changes to his starting team to play the Lions in Johannesburg on Saturday (Sunday EDT) as they begin a three-match stint in South Africa.

Alexander is joined in the front row by tighthead prop Guy Shepherdson returning after a stomach infection ruled him out of the 21-11 win over the New South Wales Waratahs last Saturday.

Julian Salvi replaces injured captain Stephen Hoiles at No.8 after Hoiles tore his medial ligament against the Waratahs, ruling him out of action for three to six weeks.

While Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock appears an obvious choice to resume the Brumbies leadership until Hoiles returns, Friend said he would name an interim captain later in the week.

Alexander, 24, played four times for the Wallabies under new coach Robbie Deans last year including starting in the late season European tour Tests against Italy and France.

But he has been behind Henderson in the Brumbies pecking order until now.

“Ben has made a great impact in each of his performances off the bench this season,” said Friend.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Deservedly so too

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    about time he started for them! he's a great player

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Player
    vCash
    Good to see good young props are coming through,australia has lots of good young loosehead props running around,we need more good young tightheads to come throught otherwise we'll be stuck with trestle......

vCash

Ben Alexander for a prop he can sniff out a try... Good to see him get a start he had a good match last weekend...

I think Friend has been keeping him and Kimlin hungry for this South African tour... Could be a master stroke of coaching... I guess well see how the 2 boys perform over the next 3 weeks in the Republic… they have the Lions, then the injury affected Sharks (who I hope the Force totally destroyed this week) and then the Cheetahs...

It’s a tour which could bring some table points (I'm a hoping).... Brumbies have managed a win against the Sharks the last 2 meets... and interestingly Clyde Rathbone will once again play in front of the Durban crowd...

Last edited by mudskipper; 18-03-09 at 12:32. Reason: Syntax propaganda matter

vCash
    Alexander was outstanding against the Tahs. Nick Henderson has never impressed. Alexander is likely to at last make the jersey his. An outstanding prospect for the Brumbies and wallabies

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Rookie
    vCash
    i dont think he is fit enough (and by me thinking, it means my brother and his mates had a discussion in front of me lol!) but is that true as to why he isnt starting normally?