Thread: SA Rugby Preview Force V Sharks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SA Rugby Preview Force V Sharks

Preview: Force v Sharks

Thursday, March 19

The Sharks will be looking to return to their winning ways when they take on the Western Force at Subiaco Oval on Saturday.

The men from Durban produced a lacklustre effort against the Reds last weekend and subsequently suffered a humbling 13-25 defeat. It was the Sharks first loss of the season as the previously clinical outfit looked disorganised and made too many basic mistakes.

The turning point in the match was when Springbok flyhalf Ruan Pienaar limped off through injury. Francois Steyn switched from centre to pivot but was again exposed and found wanting in the crucial No 10 position.

That will be the Sharks major concern heading into Saturday’s clash against the Force. Pienaar has returned to South Africa and Monty Dumond has joined up with the squad as cover. However, coach John Plumtree has opted to play Steyn at flyhalf with youngster Riaan Swanepoel coming in at inside centre.

Other changes to the match 22 are all in the front row. Firstly, Deon Carstens returns to the starting line-up ahead of Tendai Mtawarira, who has not yet retained full match fitness. John Smit rotates with Bismarck du Plessis and Jannie du Plessis returns to the starting XV at tighthead.

The bench has a mix of youth and experience. Experience up front in replacements du Plessis, Mtawarira and van den Berg; however, their depth might be tested for the first time this season with rookies Downey, Cronje, Dumond and Vulindlu all on the wood.

Conversely, the home team rallied an impressive comeback against the Crusaders last weekend to pull off a draw and have arguably the form flyhalf of the competition in Matt Giteau.

Saturday is the first of three consecutive home matches for John Mitchell’s troops and, while they’ve struggled to get satisfactory results in front of their home crowd in the past, simply have to perform well and get the results if they aim to make a legitimate challenge for a semi-final spot.

Mitchell has made six changes to his side including a backline reshuffle of note following injuries to both wings Nick Cummings and Cameron Shepherd. Veteran Scott Staniforth will make his first appearance of the season stepping in for Cummings on the right wing, Drew Mitchell switches from fullback to left wing and James O’Connor moves in at fullback.

In addition, Junior Pelesasa returns to inside centre, Tom Hockings links up with captain Nathan Sharpe in the second row and Matt Hodgson returns to openside flank.

Key Battle: Matt Giteau vs. Francois Steyn. Steyn faces a tall order in Giteau on Saturday especially after his disappointing game against the Reds last weekend. He’ll have to put that behind him and play to his full potential if the Sharks are to win this one.

Prediction: The disruption caused by Ruan Pienaar’s injury had a profound effect on the Sharks last weekend and have left them looking a bit thin what backline depth is concerned. They can produce the win if everything falls into place on Saturday, but I think the Force will win a close one. Force by 5.

Last year’s result: Sharks 17-10 Force (Absa Stadium, Durban)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    From Rugby Heaven

Force v Sharks
    March 19, 2009 - 4:36PM

Subiaco Oval, Perth, Saturday, March 21, 9.45pm (AEST)
    TV: FoxSports 1 (Live)
    Last meeting: Sharks 17 bt Force 10 in Durban

The Sharks are circling the Force who continue to be consistently inconsistent.

Coach John Mitchell has made six changes to his team which was lucky to draw with the Crusaders. Wingers Cameron Shepherd and Nick Cummins are injured, James O'Connor has been moved to fullback and they will also again miss No.8 Richard Brown.

WA fans better hope pink agrees with Matt Giteau, who played almost a lone hand in getting his side back into the contest last week. The Force are wearing pink jerseys and Giteau is also sporting pink boots to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Andrew Johns has been helping out the Sharks during the week in a timely boost after they lost five-eighth Ryan Pienaar to injury in the 25-13 loss to Queensland. They should bounce back strongly but much will depend on the mercurial Frans Steyn who is set to oppose Giteau in a mouth-watering No.10 battle.

Centrebet: Force $2.08, Sharks $1.75
    Tip: Sharks by 3

Force: James O'Connor, Scott Staniforth, Ryan Cross, Junior Palesasa, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Tamaiti Horua, David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe (captain), Tom Hockings, Ben Castle, Tai McIsaac, Pek Cowan. Res: Luke Holmes, AJ Whalley, David Pusey, Richard Stanford, Chris O'Young, Josh Tatupu, Haig Sare

Sharks: Stefan Terblanche, Odwa Ndungane, Adrian Jacobs, Riaan Swanepoel, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn, Rory Kockott, Ryan Kankowski, Keegan Daniel, Jacques Botes, Johann Muller (captain), Steven Sykes, Jannie du Plessis, John Smit, Deon Carstens. Res: Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, Albert van den Berg, Justin Downey, Ross Cronje, Monty Dumond, Luzuko Vulindlu

AAP

vCash
    The saffas tip the force ahead of the Sydney-ians.

Firgures.

The key battle? I don't think it will even be a battle, all teams have now sussed out Steyn he is becoming a tad predicatbly rubbish and he's not really a HUGE danger man any more. I would have said the battle will be with the forwards, I'm particularly looking forward to the loosies at the breakdown, where as at flyhalf it will be Giteau wiping the floor with a young Franscios Steyn!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fair chance that Steyn will be seeing a lot of Tamaiti and Stanners off the back of the scrum and from the blindside wing respectively.
    He can handle them, a big lad, but will draw in support to open up second phase.

I'm starting to get more comfortable with this one.
    If the Force have truely bonded and worked out the top six inches then I reckon we can/will get up in a close one, we have a very mobile Backrow and I think that will be a key, fingers crossed for a heat wave too...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Why do I prefer the Saffers who can sctually get the names right and accurately predict that Franz Steyn isn't a world class flyhalf?

sorry, answered my own question

Edit, Yeah Robyn, the real battle here is in the #8 isn't it?

Burgs, you're right, I reckon we can easily keep Steyn busy enough for him to have no impact whatsoever, but we need to keep them more than 60 m away from the tryline!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Why do I prefer the Saffers who can sctually get the names right and accurately predict that Franz Steyn isn't a world class flyhalf?

sorry, answered my own question

Burgs, you're right, I reckon we can easily keep Steyn busy enough for him to have no impact whatsoever, but we need to keep them more than 60 m away from the tryline!
    Yeup. Don't see why they would want to draw attention to the fact that Steyn is going to get his bottom kicked by our man Gits. Crazy Saffers!

I hope Tamati is up to this - a game like last week isn't going to get us anywhere. They have the Springboks starting number 8 Kankowski who is a fantastic player and Tamati had better have sorted out whatever was wrong last week. I hope Brownie had some stern words with him. Or any words really...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Player
    vCash
    Like last week we will again be the underdogs(according to the rugby club),but with the reshuffled backline I think we will be more dangerous than others think.

Hopefully the forwards can build again on on last weeks effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I hope Brownie had some stern words with him. Or any words really...
    "Watch ya back, I'll be fit next game and you'll be collecting splinters"

C'mon the

vCash
    yiewwwww kanko

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    "Watch ya back, I'll be fit next game and you'll be collecting splinters"
    Or, "Watch your eyes, you're playing Saffa's"...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.