Thread: Giteau has Force fans tickled pink

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau sitting pretty in pink

Giteau sitting pretty in pink

Tim Clarke, watoday.com.au | March 19, 2009 - 5:38PM

Departing Western Force superstar Matt Giteau is sure his impending move to the Brumbies is not affecting his form - but he is less convinced about this week's move to pink jerseys.

The Force will play in the distinctly un-macho colour against the Sharks at Subiaco Oval on Saturday, to raise money for the Breast Cancer Foundation of WA during the club's Ladies Day promotion.

They trained in the new shirts to get used to the hue today. Giteau said the giggles and the novelty were now out of the way and the Force were now getting serious for what could be the defining moment of their season.

"We are at the crossroads of the competition and we need this win before we go into the bye," Giteau said.

"If you lose this game going into the bye you get that distance away from the top four. A win and a good win will keep us in touch."

Giteau, who will also have pink boots made up for the game, was instrumental in dragging the Force back from the brink against the Crusaders last week. He said he was still committed to the cause despite his impending departure.

"A few of the boys are starting to take to me now - so that is a positive," Giteau joked.

"The biggest thing was to make sure that everyone felt comfortable about it, there were a few jokes and I think that is a good thing.

"And the side know I am fully committed to playing my best football for the Force this year."

John Mitchell made a raft of changes to his side's starting XV, with wingers Cameron Shepherd (ankle) and Nick Cummins (hamstring) ruled out and forwards David Pusey and Richard Stanford dropped to the bench.

Drew Mitchell, who has played the past three games at fullback, will revert to his customary role on the left wing, with 18-year-old James O'Connor named in the No.15 jersey for the first time at the Force.

O'Connor's move to fullback paves the way for Junior Pelesasa to return at inside centre, with Scott Staniforth named on the right wing.
    Staniforth, who has endured a trying year on and off the field, is just eight caps away from a century in Super Rugby with just eight games to go this season.

"I feel like an 18 year old again - it is great to be back out there," Staniforth said

"There has been a few jibes, and I think Drew Mitchell really feels at home in it. There are a few boys that are feeling a bit too comfortable in pink.

"It would be great - there is eight games left, make the most of it this weekend, stay injury free and hopefully get there this year."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...054988102.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting. The local version is:
    "A few of the boys are starting to take to me now - so that is a positive," Giteau joked.

"The biggest thing was to make sure that everyone felt comfortable about it, there were a few jokes and I think that is a good thing.

"And the side know I am fully committed to playing my best football for the Force this year."

Another, more international version then has it:

Things were understandably a little frosty when Giteau announced he was re-joining the Brumbies next season three weeks ago, but he's now feeling comfortable in the team surroundings again.

"A few of the boys are starting to talk to me now, so that's a positive. Everyone has been pretty good and the biggest thing was to make sure everyone felt comfortable about it," he said.

"There were a few jokes about me going, and that's a good thing to show they are comfortable. They know I'm fully committed to playing my best football for the Force this year. I love the organisation and hope it continues to grow. Any players here looking to extend, hopefully they do that."

(http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/...ws/1570240.htm)

If he was joking, he is probably not helping. If he wasn't joking...

Apprentice
    vCash
    Sorry but as good as Gits may be , the boys need to convince themselves and supporters that we can still win without him. Look back to last year when he was out, his place was abley filled.

vCash
    Not really, when he sat out for the Reds match thats when the wheels come off our season

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's what happens when plan A, B & C revolves around a single "star".
    In that regard only, this season can't be over soon enough for me, so we can go back to having a team of very good team players.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Post Giteau has Force fans tickled pink

MATT Giteau has assured Western Force fans that he won't be running dead even though he leaves at the end of the season.

Tonight, he will also show them he has a sense of humour and outstanding fashion sense when he wears a bright pink jumper and matching boots against the Sharks at Subiaco.

Following the trend of sporting teams across the country supporting the Breast Cancer Foundation, the entire Force team will wear pink.

Giteau and teammate Drew Mitchell went one step further and procured fetching pink boots.

"It's good to have a bit of a change and it's for a fantastic cause," Mitchell told colleague "Honest" Jon Geddes. ' Mitchell also believes the one-off jumpers could be just the tonic for the team at this stage of the season.

"Hopefully you don't draw any motivation from the colour of your jersey," Mitchell said.

"But going into a bye week you've got to make sure your focus is maintained. I guess there is always that possibility of things getting a little bit lax. This can trigger your concentration back on the game."

It is worth noting that former Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie's French side Stade Francais wears pink jerseys for big games for no other reason than the fact they think it looks . . . good.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html

vCash
    i swear they should wear this jumpa more often!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That's what happens when plan A, B & C revolves around a single "star".
    In that regard only, this season can't be over soon enough for me, so we can go back to having a team of very good team players.
    Its disappointing to hear you feel that way Burgs... its only week 6... If you right about the game plans A,B & C... You'll have to place that issue at Coach Mitchell's feet… Giteau has bought a lot of positives to the Force and he is trying to keep the season productive and make the semis…

I think the team are trying to be very positive with a few injuries... and things will change soon then big names come back…

the boys are a good chance to WIN today... enjoy the match as the S14 season is far to short…

Force by 5……