Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Giteau's influence persuades Edmonds

vCash

Post Giteau's influence persuades Edmonds

Brumbies reserve hooker Huia Edmonds admits the lure of playing alongside marquee recruit Matt Giteau was a persuading factor in his decision to remain at the club.

The Brumbies will announce today Edmonds has signed a two-year contract extension, taking him through to the end of 2011.

Edmond's signing comes three weeks after first-choice rake Stephen Moore also re-signed for two more years.

He was considering leaving the Brumbies for overseas but said the opportunity to play in the same team as Giteau for the first time was too much to knock back.

''When you've got the best player in the world coming here, that's something you want to be a part of because he's going to make a difference,'' Edmonds said.

''The knowledge Gits will be here next year definitely played a role in my decision. It wasn't the primary factor or anything like that but it definitely had an influence.''

Brumbies coach Andy Friend said that at the start of the season Edmonds was no sure thing to be offered a new contract.

Friend admitted he wanted proof Edmonds had recovered from a long list of injuries and wasn't mentally scarred by his extended sideline stint after arm and knee surgery.

''I first coached Huia at the Waratahs a few years back and I've always thought he's been a very talented footballer and even when I got to the Brumbies mid last year, it was evident early on that he was a massive influence on the group,'' the coach said.

''But I needed to see him play. I can't go around recommending guys get new contracts just because I rate their history or because I think they are good people.

''I needed to see Huia still had it and he's shown he does so it's great news that he's staying around.''

Edmonds will start off the bench against the Durban Sharks at Absa Stadium this weekend in what will be his 19th Super rugby cap.

The 27-year-old has had a cruel run of injuries the past 18 months.

He broke his arm in a freak training accident mid-way through last year, which cost him the second half of the Super 14 season. Then after just three club rugby games for Warringah in July he injured his knee, a setback which required reconstructive surgery.

It's only been the past six weeks the former Cape Town Stormer and Waratah has returned to full fitness.

He was aware Brumbies bosses were monitoring his early form in regards to a new contract and admitted that added extra pressure.

''It's always in the back of your mind that stuff, when you're coming back from injury, because this is our job, this is how we pay the bills,'' Edmonds said.

''You don't want to jeopardise that but thankfully I'm right for another two years now and it's shaping as a pretty exciting two years here too.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So when Gits goes to France in 2012 does that mean we'll have to find a new sport to follow given we won't have any rugby players left in Australia?

Oh no wait...Tuqiri won't follow...oh good...we can support him.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Journalist: "Did Matt Giteau's signing have any influence on you decision to re-sign?"

(INSERT: Any player signing wth ACT after Gits). ''The knowledge Gits will be here next year definitely played a role in my decision. It wasn't the primary factor or anything like that but it definitely had an influence.''

Headline:
    Giteau's influence persuades Edmonds

Rocket science journalism.

Did you write it yourself, Muddie?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Huia Edmonds is a Canberra boy and has family there... He did spend most of his career away in NSW or South Africa... he was pleased to return last year and then the Brumbies signed Moore... Making it nearly impossible to be the starting hooker... The Giteau factor just makes the future brumbies more exciting...

I'm pleased he is staying he is a JP styling hooker + ball player and always good the watch on the field... Furthermore its nice to hold onto a local by for a few more years...

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Journalist: "Did Matt Giteau's signing have any influence on you decision to re-sign?"

Rocket science journalism.

Did you write it yourself, Muddie?
    Who did you get to read it to you shastaman.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Who did you get to read it to you shastaman.......
    Don't be obtuse.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Don't be obtuse.
    You do understand because your team has a bye you have to support the Brumbies... this weekend...

vCash
    You do understand because your team has a bye you have to support the Brumbies... this weekend...
    I support ALL Australian teams when they are not playing us. But I must admit it's a bit of an effort with the Tahs.

vCash
    You do understand because your team has a bye you have to support the Brumbies
    I support ALL Australian teams when they are not playing us. But I must admit it's a bit of an effort with the Tahs.
    I try to go for the Aussie sides as well, but Muddy you just make it hard to go for the Brumbies

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    So when Gits goes to France in 2012 does that mean we'll have to find a new sport to follow given we won't have any rugby players left in Australia?

Oh no wait...Tuqiri won't follow...oh good...we can support him.
    be careful. robyn and force_addict will come after you with "the sticks".

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

I went for the Crusaders in the final last year, because the other side was the Tahs. I don't have to go for any side just because someone else tells me to.

Btw, this weekend I'll be supporting my other blue and black team.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I like this article, because a player who has a total gametime of 23 minutes for the current season will get to watch gits play while he is sitting on the bench or in the stands for the next two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    I like this article, because a player who has a total gametime of 23 minutes for the current season will get to watch gits play while he is sitting on the bench or in the stands for the next two years.
    Fair point he may watch him play more than play along side but its a chance to be in a championship team for a local kid and it was too much to give up... Depth wins championships... Edmonds will play his part... otherwise he'd likely end up back OS somewhere north...

vCash
    championship team?

vCash
    You heard it first from Mudskipper.

A companion volume to his famous hits
    "the Brumbies will massacre the Force"
    and "The Reds are shit and won't win anything this year"

C'mon the

vCash
    I

Hate

Journalists.

That is all.

Apart from the fact that a hooker wants advice from a flyhalf... I don't play rugby, but how much advice can a hooker GET from flyhalf... or have I missed a key essential from having not played?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    hairstyling tips.. as a guess.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast